Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Difference in UV filters?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Rende
    Rende e2 Member 737 forum postsRende vcard Netherlands4 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2007 - 12:03 PM

Does anybody have any practical experience in comparing the results of different UV filters?
    I'm asking because when I bought my Canon 400D plus Sigma lenses my budget was getting stretched and, just to protect the lenses, I bought relatively cheap Merkury Optics multicoated UV filters with them. Now I've recovered financially I'm wondering whether it's worth it to change them to B&W, Hoya or Sigma UV filters. I just don't know if I would actually see any significant improvement for the investment.
    Any comments/info would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Rende

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Apr 2007 - 12:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

samfurlong
    3 Apr 2007 - 3:44 PM

Many filters are much of a muchness and I wouldn't bother changing if you have regular lenses.
    All my lenses are top of the line, cost no object L series canons so I have the hoya pro series on them (around 40-50 per filter) and you CAN see a difference over the cheapo jessops filters (I have done a couple of test pics out of curiosity). With the more expensive hoya filters there is no visible degradation in image quality at all, even on the L lenses.

So yes... stick with what you have and if in the future you treat yourself to a couple of grands worth of L glass then definately get a good filter to go with it.

If you need convincing then set your camera up on a tripod and take some pics of something finely detailed both with and without the filter in place and see if there is any difference for yourself, that way you'll be totally satisfied that you're getting the best out of your kit.

Kris_Dutson
    3 Apr 2007 - 4:05 PM

Or, like me, don't bother with 'em at all.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023196 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2007 - 4:19 PM

Me neither...and never ever scratched a lens.

but if you need to use one then get a good quality one.

Rende
    Rende e2 Member 737 forum postsRende vcard Netherlands4 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2007 - 11:27 PM

Thank you Sam, Kris and Keith for your replies to my question. I think I'll try a compromise and buy a good B&W UV filter that I saw in a closing down sale for 10 pounds for my Sigma APO 70-300. Then I'll do the suggested experiment and photograph something detailed with no filter, the cheap filter and the B&W. According to the outcome I'll decide what to do about the 72mm filter for my Sigma 17-70; take it off, leave the cheap filter or buy a good quality one (72mm not in the sale unfortunately Wink
    Thanks again,
    Rende

theredbaron
    4 Apr 2007 - 4:11 PM

I recently shopped around for filters, theres a wide range of price/quality. I have gone for a Tiffen bundle off 7dayshop.com in the end.

ray1
    ray1  10519 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Apr 2007 - 7:44 PM

Have always got my filters from Hong Kong via ebay - about half the UK prices - delivered in a couple of days.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.