Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Digicam for spot metering

Tony_M e2
10 342 England
17 Mar 2005 6:03AM
I use an OM-2N for low-light and landscape photography, and a digital Fuji S602 for wildlife/general photos. The OM only has centre-weighted average metering, which sometimes makes getting correctly exposed slides a hit-and-miss affair.

I was considering purchasing a handheld lightmeter, preferably with spot metering functionality, but then remembered I have spot metering in the S602.

Is the digital camera going to be versatile enough to provide accurate settings for my OM? I use Velvia50 often at F11-F22, whereas the Fuji only goes down do ISO200 (or160) and only as narrow as F11, so some calculations will be required for each exposure.

Any advice appreciated.

Tony

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
17 Mar 2005 6:49AM
No advice, Tony, but have vaguely considered getting a DSLR for precisely this purpose. Also, as a way of previewing shots, it would mean I could save on the hassle of a polaroid back for my Mamiya...

Here's a series of articles by US-based pro Alain Briot who admits to using a DSLR as a sophisticated lightmeter (and, let's face it, a histogram is a nice feature to have) for his LF work. So if it's good enough for the pros....
User_Removed 10 3.3k Russian Federation
17 Mar 2005 7:56AM
I'll be able to comment on Monday...
I've just sent my first two rolls from my TLR off. Some I metered using my D70's spot, the rest with a 2nd hand Weston Master V for a reflected reading. I'll let you know which come out best...
c_evans99 e2
11 7.0k 1 Wales
17 Mar 2005 8:38AM
You can take incident readings with your SLR by using a plastic aerosol cap over the lens - I used a 'Robin starch' cap glued to an empty 49mm filter ring. Simple but effective.

Ceri

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.