Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Digital and Optical lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    alex_noel
    alex_noel  1 United Kingdom
    22 Aug 2012 - 5:16 PM

I have been told that optical lenses are better than digital lenses. I have a Canon 300D. Can someone explain the difference? Alex

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Aug 2012 - 5:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139386 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2012 - 5:20 PM

There is no such thing as a digital lens. They are all optical. You have been misinformed. Smile

mikehit
    mikehit  46108 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2012 - 5:45 PM

Apparently 'digital' lenses have a different construction or coating inside to prevent internal reflections that can (theoretically, at least) happen when the light strikes the sensor and that is the only thing I have ever been able to find out. However, I have never heard of spurious artefacts when people use lenses manufactured pre-digital - maybe they have happened but I would guess rarely or under specific circumstances.
    But all of them are 'optical' in that they transmit light.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139386 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2012 - 5:47 PM

There, as Mike indicates, are optical lenses which are supposedly "designed for digital" and some which are from the pre-digital age. But all are optical.

ensign
    ensign e2 Member 7181 forum postsensign vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2012 - 7:13 PM

Firstly welcome Alex_Noel.

Some cameras mostly compacts use the term "Digital Lens" these are as Carabosse says optical type. From my understanding they utilise the senor and software to increase the size of the image, and I understand the quality can be reduced.

Hope this is useful.
    Bernard

mikehit
    mikehit  46108 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2012 - 7:31 PM

Quote: From my understanding they utilise the senor and software to increase the size of the image

Ensign - are you talking about 'digital zoom'? (not 'digital lens') - as you say the 'digital zoom' is really only in-camera cropping.

ensign
    ensign e2 Member 7181 forum postsensign vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2012 - 7:37 PM

Hi Mikehit,

Yes I think it's more the "digital zoom" thanks for pointing it out.

User_Removed
    22 Aug 2012 - 8:04 PM

It just goes to show how the marketing jargon can confuse.

All lenses are optical.

Some are designed specifically for digital cameras.

Carabosse
    22 Aug 2012 - 9:25 PM

As a general rule, if you come across a digital zoom in a stills camera the best thing to do is turn it off...................... forever! Smile

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014407 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2012 - 10:56 PM

Quote: As a general rule, if you come across a digital zoom in a stills camera the best thing to do is turn it off...................... forever!

Except in the OM-D, where the digital zoom results are almost as good as the original jpeg.Grin

From PC Magazine's review of the OM-D;

Quote: I programmed the Fn2 button to activate its integrated digital zoom. If you're shooting in JPG or Raw+JPG, it effectively doubles your focal length. I was quite impressed with the quality of the digitally zoomed JPGs—they were only slightly softer than non-zoomed files, and retained the full 16-megapixel resolution. I also used the function as a manual focusing aid when shooting with legacy lenses. Tapping the button toggles between the two views, and even if you do find yourself firing a shot off when zoomed unintentionally in Raw+JPG mode, the Raw file retains the full field of view—it is only the JPG version that is cropped in-camera.

Carabosse
    22 Aug 2012 - 11:01 PM

There are 'smart' digital zooms around which lower the resolution when zooming, to avoid pixellation. This is the system used in the 41Mp Nokia 808 camera phone. It is also the case (but for video only) on the Nokia N8 phone.

But, generally speaking, digital zooms degrade quality and the effect can be achieved by cropping after shooting.

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014407 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2012 - 11:03 PM

Just promoting the best camera available CB.Wink

Carabosse
    22 Aug 2012 - 11:05 PM

TBH I've not even tried the digi zoom on the OM-D. Grin I only shoot RAW on it anyway.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314821 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Aug 2012 - 12:18 AM

Quote: Except in the OM-D, where the digital zoom results are almost as good as the original jpeg.Grin

From PC Magazine's review of the OM-D;

That I like Denny, a very handy tip, I hate the multiple x zoom to aid focusing, x2 would not be to bad Smile

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62426 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    23 Aug 2012 - 9:41 AM

Without knowing exactly what you were told it is difficult to comment reliably.
    Some older film era lenses perform less well on digital bodies than more recent optical designs.
    Internal flare is potentially greater with digital because shiny digital sensors are much more reflective than film. Some of the independent lens makers got "caught out" because to keep costs low they did not multi coat the rear element in the film era - and had to introduce upgraded rear element coatings when digital took off.
    Digital does not handle light at a low angle as well as film. In the film era it was normal for wide angles to have a small rear element close to the mirror - which was fine for film but often gives extra corner shading and CA with digital. There are now many telecentric optical designs with the needs of digital sensors to the fore.
    As a rule of thumb modern lenses specifically designed for digital often produce better results on digital than older film era lenses.
    Even so second hand film era lenses can still produce very satisfactory results at affordable prices.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.