Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Digital body compatible with PC Nikkor lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Alan_Crawford

I have been using a Nikon film camera until now and I want to change to a digital body. But I have, and love using, a perspective correction lens - PC Nikkor 35mm. Does anyone know whether I can buy a digital body which will be compatible with this lens?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Nov 2012 - 8:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    3 Nov 2012 - 8:42 PM

Alan.

Most of my Nikkors are of the film era Wink

ALL of them can be fully integrated into the modern digital Nikon professional range. (I use a D300)

Welcome to 'EPZ'!

Last Modified By User_Removed at 3 Nov 2012 - 8:43 PM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Nov 2012 - 9:56 PM

Just to add a little to Mike's very adequate reply, Where Nikon are concerned you can use pretty much all the lens they have ever made since forever to a digital Nikon body.

That applies to DX & FX sensored items as well....Grin

There are a couple of odd ones, But they are as rare as hens teeth....Smile

Enjoy your time on ePHOTOzine.....Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 3 Nov 2012 - 9:56 PM
    thewilliam
    4 Nov 2012 - 12:03 AM

Just don't try to put a non AI lens on a modern body.

rhol2
    rhol2 e2 Member 3299 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Nov 2012 - 9:01 AM

As a reference to support the good advice above, "nikonians.org" have a very comprehensive compatibility chart which indicates any limitations in using specific lenses, as does Ken Rockwell on his site.

Last Modified By rhol2 at 4 Nov 2012 - 9:02 AM
    Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Nov 2012 - 4:11 PM

Better to get a body that accepts MF lenses with mechanical linkages. Some bodies will not stop the aperture down automatically, so you're stuck for aperture control. Some bodies only control electronically and you might be stuck either wide open or closed right down. IIRC the PC Nikkors have uncoupled apertures? So it won't matter with those, but not if you want to use other MF lenses.

I would suggest sticking to something like D200, D300, D700, D3, D2 and so on, and avoid the D3xxx, D5xxx series and D40s too. On the Nikon website there is a chart showing lens/body compatibilty.

Nick

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62482 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    4 Nov 2012 - 9:59 PM

I do not want to upset you - but - most recent Nikon DSLR's have a menu option to remove (or introduce) tilt effects.
    As you set the aperture only by the aperture ring on the 35mm PC any reasonably DSLR supports stop down metering using it.
    You will know from your film body experience you meter with no shift and "guess the rest" with film.
    With digital you can check the exposure, including blown out highlights and where highlight and shadow fall on the histogram straight after taking the picture.
    A histogram is the equivalent of a film H&D curve.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Nov 2012 - 10:11 PM

How can they replicate shift? And the "tilt effect" is just that....it's an effect. It doesn't really do tilt, ie it doesn't change the plane of focus, only introduce out of focus areas to make it look like it.
    Some bodies will not meter or indeed work with the lens with a mechanical linkage. Hence why I say avoid some models. They do not meter at all, stop down.

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

Last Modified By Sooty_1 at 4 Nov 2012 - 10:18 PM
    Sooty_1
    4 Nov 2012 - 10:20 PM

That last bit should say "not even stop down".

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73883 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Nov 2012 - 11:50 PM

I would take it into a shop and check before buying the body, I seem to remember somewhere where the older T/S lenses can catch the prism housing on some models.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62482 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    5 Nov 2012 - 8:36 AM

Quote: I would take it into a shop and check before buying the body, I seem to remember somewhere where the older T/S lenses can catch the prism housing on some models.

I agree with going to a shop - even if as in North Yorks. that can involve a 120 mile or more round trip.
    I am assuming the 35mm is not an early collectors item bare metal version.
    If so the 35mm (and 28mm) is OK.
    Even the more recent 24, 45 and 85mm version 2 PC-E lenses (with the addition of tilt) can be used with "overhanging prism bodies" with a slight upward vertical restriction in movement available.

annettep38
    annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France32 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2012 - 2:33 PM

Well I just sold my 35mm PC lens but it worked fine on my bodies (d2x and D3x) , it just wasn't sharp in the corners on the D3 so it had to go. It was actually ugh SadSad on my D3x w hen shifted left or right. That is why i didn't sell it here, it would have been unfair.
    I have got the 85 mm PC micro nikkor now and that is flawless and fantastic.

Having said that I had sold my 400mm MF to a chap and he brought it back cause it had worked fine on his d200 when he tried it but it didn't work on some horrible new plastic body he bought. all I can remember is it was RED and the number was in the 1000s. After which I sold it to a friend who bought my d1x years ago and it worked fine, again.

And LEn, yes you can use non AI lenses on a d3 (x) and on a D2... I have got 3 of them, a 50 mm 1.4 of wonderful sharpness ( which will go to someone here as a gift), my 50mm 1.2 and an old 24 f 2.8. they all work fine. I had already adapted them ages ago for the F2a F3 etc. it only needs a dremel and a tiny drill and tap to move the little selector fork. I'll send you a photo if you want.

photo taken with a non AI lens on a D3x

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.