Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

digital camera 100-150

17 Mar 2013 5:02PM
Hi,
i'm looking to buy a digital camera and would like some recomendations.
i would like one that has the ability to screw filters onto the lens.as i have some filters for a slr camera would these fit a digital camera?
camera does not need to be new would consider a used one.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
17 Mar 2013 5:37PM
Welcome to EPZ, Michael. Smile

What thread size are the filters you own, and what camera do you use at present?

Digital doesn't really come into it. It all depends on the filter thread size of the lens(es).
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
18 Mar 2013 8:50PM

Quote:camera does not need to be new would consider a used one

150 does not get you a lot these days, but looking here can be a good start there are several between 150 and 200.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Search/?SHMake=&SHModel=&SHType=Compact+System+Cameras&Location=&Results=12&View=Grid&Order=Latest&PageNo=1

This is probably the best deal they have, close to your budget.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Olympus-EP-1-+14-42+-FL-14-flash.-SAVE-70.00-WAS-249.99_62237.html
18 Mar 2013 9:44PM
currys (cough) are selling off a few CSC's for just a few quid more.. i popped into our local superstore
last week and they had a panasonic GF3 for 159.99 with 14-42 kit lens.

it's not showing online so maybe they've sold out, but they are showing a E-PM1 for 169.97 with lens.
ok, it's not the best of colours, but for the price of a reasonable compact?

or, this at MPB... Smile

Ste
21 Mar 2013 12:39AM
hi, I take you only have the filters... rather than the SLR and the lenses that fit the filters.
Is this true?
People used to suggest photographers leaning to digital from film to go for the manufacturer of their current SLR, (much better if it had autofocus lenses) because they could make use of the lenses. Pentax is a manufacturer with such a range of lenses which can adapt to digital bodies of their make.
And there had been adaptors developed to connect old lenses to modern digital cameras. I won't expand because I suspect you only have the filters. Even if they don't fit to the lens mount of the camera you will buy, there are stepping rings which can get in between and connect them. The filters should have come with a mount to hold them. Find its diameter or tell us specifically what you have.
What would you like to take pictures of, would play an important role in what you should choose. Does the camera need to be weather sealed? I am under the impression (since you have not uploaded any picturres yet) that you want to do outdoors shooting, landscape most likely. If you don't have your own car to put the gear in and go where the car takes you, think of light, small cameras. Panasonic and Olympus do small 4/3rds cameras which they have relatively smaller lenses than other brands. Do not get an old brick (because you should add the weight of the lens(-es) and a tripod in your walk about gear. Samsung NX10 and Pentax Q are small but would probably cost more, but you search them and see what you will find.

Good luck
26 Apr 2013 11:12AM
Thanks pablophotographer, you share the great info.
weseeyou e2
3 112
31 May 2013 11:24AM
I wouldn't recommend that you compromise your camera choice simply to utilize some old filters you have. Its pointless fitting good quality expensive filters on a sub 100 camera ,better to buy a cheap filter set to fit the camera whichever camera you buy and sell the filters you have .

I would suggest that you list the camera features you need based on your likely usage then choose a camera from a short list . Consider features that you may not have tried like intervalometer, remote shutter release and macro etc Many PAS cameras have some amazing features these days that they don't necessarily advertise in their blurb.
8 May 2014 4:55PM
have not been able to get on here for some time now due to pc probs.
cameras can go up to 250
have seen a few but would like some feed back.
fuji s8200-new
fuji s2890-new
canon eos 400d -used
panasonic dmc-fz70/fz72
nikon p520
sony dsc h200
fuji hs50exr
fujis8400w
panasonc lumix g5
fuji hs20exr
sony a200
to be used mainly for family photos landscape and vehicle photos.any recomendations on cameras listed or any others you think would be suitable.i have got a tripod.

thanks for any help n3m3sis
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
8 May 2014 5:47PM
Your list seems to contain at least one of just about every conceivable camera type, all of which have advantages and disadvantages when compared to each other, so it really depends upon what you want from the camera and what you want to do with it.

You'd really need to do some research and narrow it down to something slightly more specific, even if you only decide to concentrate on, for example, bridge cameras, or compacts, before you part with your cash.
dpr59 e2
170 United Kingdom
8 May 2014 6:35PM
I still have a Fuji S5700 in a draw.
It takes 46mm filters, has full manual and auto focus / AP, SP, Prog and Auto exposure.
Exposure compensation and a half decent lens with a 10x zoom.

These can be picked up second hand on eBay for around 30-50.

Would be a good play thing to try out and experiment before spending a lot.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
8 May 2014 6:48PM

Quote:I still have a Fuji S5700 in a draw.

Same here; although mine's in a camera bag.
The S5700 was one of those cameras that just seemed to be good at everything that was asked of it.
More so, I think, than successive Fuji bridge cameras.
I used mine exclusively for a number of years and I was (and still am) really pleased with it.
As David says, if, to begin with, you just want to have a go, an S5700, despite its age, would be an excellent choice and you'd still have the beginnings of a kitty towards its replacement.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.