Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

digital camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    shandy12
    shandy12  1 United Kingdom
    28 Oct 2012 - 6:11 PM

hi, i'm looking for a nikon digital camera that shoots both in RAW and JPEG. Can anyone advise me please .

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Oct 2012 - 6:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

shandy12
    28 Oct 2012 - 6:15 PM

sorry i forgot to mention a compact camera. I have a nikon D5000 but i need something that i can pop into my pocket

User_Removed
    28 Oct 2012 - 8:29 PM

P7700 I think.

But didn't LenShepheard say that it was a different type of Raw file from the normal .NEF?

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62435 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    29 Oct 2012 - 9:32 AM

Quote: P7700 I think.
    But didn't LenShepheard say that it was a different type of Raw file from the normal NEF?

Yes I did - even though my name is different Smile - the P7700 is NRW.
    It seems NRW is OK for global adjustments similar to those in Nikon's free View NX2 - but for any local adjustment in Capture NX2 or other software the file, according to the instruction manual, has to be first converted to jpeg.
    8 bit jpeg is not the same as 14 bit NEF Sad
    I understand (but cannot confirm) the RAW format used in the Canon G series also has to be converted to jpeg to be accepted by other software.

Jestertheclown
    29 Oct 2012 - 1:32 PM

Quote: 8 bit jpeg is not the same as 14 bit NEF Sad

Convert it to Tiff?

strawman
    strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2012 - 2:02 PM

Quote: I understand (but cannot confirm) the RAW format used in the Canon G series also has to be converted to jpeg to be accepted by other software.

Sorry Len you are wrong on that one, the Canon S and G series (well G10 onwards and S90 onwards at least) all produce RAW file formats that can be edited just like their DSLR series. so you can edit them in Photoshop RAW editors, Capture 1 and of course DPP without having to throw away bits and make a JPEG. They turn up as CR2 files.

Its why long term pundit Thom Hogan had Canon not Nikon compacts before he went to m4/3 for portable camera solutions.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62435 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    30 Oct 2012 - 8:59 AM

Quote:
    Its why long term pundit Thom Hogan had Canon not Nikon compacts before he went to m4/3 for portable camera solutions.

Thanks for the detail.
    Unless you use Nikon Capture this makes the current Canon G compacts the better better option for "serious" post processing.
    The compact advantage to me is decent A3 quality.
    m4/3 is better but likely over 1,500 with some useful lenses in the package. A good DSLR system is even better image quality wise but often more expensive.

shandy12
    30 Oct 2012 - 6:07 PM

thanks guys your comment have been very helpfulSmile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.