Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

digital camera

shandy12 2 2 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2012 6:11PM
hi, i'm looking for a nikon digital camera that shoots both in RAW and JPEG. Can anyone advise me please .

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

28 Oct 2012 6:15PM
sorry i forgot to mention a compact camera. I have a nikon D5000 but i need something that i can pop into my pocket
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
28 Oct 2012 8:29PM
P7700 I think.

But didn't LenShepheard say that it was a different type of Raw file from the normal .NEF?
29 Oct 2012 9:32AM

Quote:P7700 I think.
But didn't LenShepheard say that it was a different type of Raw file from the normal NEF?

Yes I did - even though my name is different Smile - the P7700 is NRW.
It seems NRW is OK for global adjustments similar to those in Nikon's free View NX2 - but for any local adjustment in Capture NX2 or other software the file, according to the instruction manual, has to be first converted to jpeg.
8 bit jpeg is not the same as 14 bit NEF Sad
I understand (but cannot confirm) the RAW format used in the Canon G series also has to be converted to jpeg to be accepted by other software.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
29 Oct 2012 1:32PM

Quote:8 bit jpeg is not the same as 14 bit NEF Sad

Convert it to Tiff?
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2012 2:02PM

Quote:I understand (but cannot confirm) the RAW format used in the Canon G series also has to be converted to jpeg to be accepted by other software.
Sorry Len you are wrong on that one, the Canon S and G series (well G10 onwards and S90 onwards at least) all produce RAW file formats that can be edited just like their DSLR series. so you can edit them in Photoshop RAW editors, Capture 1 and of course DPP without having to throw away bits and make a JPEG. They turn up as CR2 files.

Its why long term pundit Thom Hogan had Canon not Nikon compacts before he went to m4/3 for portable camera solutions.
30 Oct 2012 8:59AM

Quote:
Its why long term pundit Thom Hogan had Canon not Nikon compacts before he went to m4/3 for portable camera solutions.

Thanks for the detail.
Unless you use Nikon Capture this makes the current Canon G compacts the better better option for "serious" post processing.
The compact advantage to me is decent A3 quality.
m4/3 is better but likely over 1,500 with some useful lenses in the package. A good DSLR system is even better image quality wise but often more expensive.
30 Oct 2012 6:07PM
thanks guys your comment have been very helpfulSmile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.