Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Digital Camera vs Water

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    James
    James  13
    2 Sep 2002 - 2:39 PM

I accidentally dropped my digital camera (sony p-71) into water, on Saturday.
    It still works, but there is moisture still in the lens area, which makes the camera, mostly blind(extremely blured)!

Do anyone have any suggestions on what i can do?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Sep 2002 - 2:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Vincent Doyle
    4 Sep 2002 - 8:20 PM

You could try putting it in a box with some of the crystals used to take water out of the air,
    you should get them from in a hardwear store.

bppowell
    bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Sep 2002 - 11:23 AM

You could try using a hair dryer.

James
    James  13
    5 Sep 2002 - 11:58 AM

I have decided to leave it alone in the air, it's nearly ok now, it's just getting the mosture from the very inner lenses which is taking time.

But it's getting there .. slowly!

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318450 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Sep 2002 - 8:44 PM

Sorry I've been out of the office for a couple of days so my reply's a little late on this one. If it's rain water you may be lucky. The advice you've been given is spot on get it to dry out as fast as you can. The longer you leave it the more chance moving metal parts will be affected and circuits could become damaged. If it was salt water....you have problems. The salt will not disappear and will damage the insides over time. I'm fairly sure the only thing you can really do with a salt water soaked camera is as quickly as possible soak it in distilled water to remove traces of salt, then dry it out and then hope for the best!

Digital1
    Digital1  1293 forum posts
    6 Sep 2002 - 10:48 AM

James see all the above.

but it does need to be quick as Pete said.

Best thing is to switch the camera on and extend the lens fully. With the lens in this position don't turn off the camera but drop the batteries out and leave the door open. Then put the camera in an airing cupboard for a few days. This is a constant dry heat that will stop droplets forming and thus stop water rings forming on the inside of the lens.

It would not hurt to keep with the camera a silica gel pack for a while just to make sure.

Cheers Baz

James
    James  13
    6 Sep 2002 - 1:17 PM

Ok, it's dry now .. but now it won't turn on very easily.
    Any suggestions, it could be the wireing though as there was some bit's keeping the wire strips appart.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.