Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Digital compact cameras

Nick_Hilton 9 556 2 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2005 10:44AM
I am looking for a carry round digi compact camera 7 - 8 mega pixels so I don't have to lug my SLR to parties.
I have been looking at the

Canon ixus 750
Sony W7
Olympus 800
Does anyone have good or bad experinces to share or a recomendation?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

riprap007 10 1.6k 37 England
18 Dec 2005 10:58AM
lots of options at present, including the S9500 and lumix DMC FZ30, both of which are very good
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
18 Dec 2005 11:13AM
Having used the Lumix last week, I'd recommend it to anyone.
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
18 Dec 2005 11:17AM
What Keith says, + it's had rave reviews and won a few awards in the various tog mags.

Kris.
Nick_Hilton 9 556 2 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2005 11:23AM
Thanks for advice however its an SLR style camera and I really wanted something that I could put into my pocket so a compact would be ideal.
warb 11 839
18 Dec 2005 11:26AM
im on the look out for a new un meself now, fz30 maybe a bit too pricey for me, budget being up2 300. i was looking at the lumix fz20 as i fancy the manual focus thingy, that or the sony h1 , any others i could be looking at? also been looking at the more compact pocket sized uns like the sony t7 and fuji z1 too fot take everywhere.

keep the recomendations and info and camera knowledge and stuff n that coming. yee kno too much.

p.s. sorry for hijacking your thread.
ellis rowell 10 2.0k United Kingdom
18 Dec 2005 11:47AM
I have been using the FZ10 for about 18 months now and am very satisfied with it. Especially the manual focus and the zoom which shows the multiplication factor in the viewfinder. I've waited all my life for a Leica Lens and it was worth the wait.
Have a look at my website, Duxford, Haddenham, North York Moors.
forrestio 9 1
18 Dec 2005 1:41PM
ive got a a canon ixus 750 which ive had for about 2 months. used to have a casio z750 but had a repeat prob with the lens so the dealer did me a swop for the ixus instead. no issues with this camera watsoever. just a pain none of the small compact cameras that you fit in ur pockets have bigger zooms
link=http://www.ukcamerastore.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Canon_Ixus_750_new_release.html
Digbee 8 2
5 Jan 2006 4:17PM
"budget being up2 300. i was looking at the lumix fz20 as i fancy the manual focus thingy"

Hi,

Thought I'd let you know that Jessops have or had this past week been selling the Panasonic FZ20 at 199 each - reduced from the Panasonic shops price (in the next street) of 350. Had to bite the managers arm off in Bluewater to get him to send me one up from the Canterbury shop, as they sold out of them in 8 hours of the sale starting on Boxing day.
Similar priced ones are appearing on ebay - but who knows where these were sourced from probably china like the rest of the tat on ebay now-adays.

Cheers
Peter
mariam 9 2
7 Jan 2006 12:48PM
Hi Nick,

I borrowed a Sony W7 on loan from a camera company for the same reason as you and I was extremely impressed with the quality of the photos. They could be blown up to A3 size without any problems and the extra large screen made it a pleasure to take photos with. If you want me to send you a sample image, then just shout. Hope this helps. Maria
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
7 Jan 2006 3:55PM
A friend of mine who used to be somewhat anti-digital bought - on my recommendation - a Sony P200 (7.2-megapixel).

He is quite staggered by the high quality of the pics and accepts that they easily match, and indeed can exceed, anything he could have managed with film.

The latest compacts are very good indeed! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.