Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Digital film for traditional cameras

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    wdlowe
    wdlowe  13
    11 May 2003 - 8:20 AM

I am sure I remember, a couple of years ago, talk about producing a 'digital film' to place in a camera in place of a 35mm film and cassette.
    Does anyone know of any ?
    It would be great for us all to be able to use our 'old' cameras for both types of photography.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 May 2003 - 8:20 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Little Jo
    Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
    11 May 2003 - 9:34 AM

A company was trying to develop a digital film that could be used in 35mm cameras, but the project was abandoned as their R&D lost pace with the pace of development of digital cameras. It was going to be very expensive and couldn't compete in such a high pressure, fast moving market.

Digital is getting cheaper, and in a few years, the technology of digital SLRs should reach the masses. As it is at the moment, it is very much restricted to those who can afford a four figure sum for a camera. Old s/h models that are selling for under a thousand pounds have poor handling compared to the latest models.

Jo

suemccartin
    11 May 2003 - 4:04 PM

Some high end cameras, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Canon, Hasselblad have "digital backs" that replace the back of the back of the camera and provide a digital pickup instead of a place for the film to be exposed. I can't speak for the quality of these "backs" I know that many studio photographers used them to "pre-shoot" so they could make sure their lighting was setup properly. I'm not sure they ever were intended to do what a digicam does.

pj.morley
    pj.morley  11947 forum posts
    11 May 2003 - 11:20 PM

You'll find the full story here.
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/EVENTS/PMAS01/982172823.html

wdlowe
    wdlowe  13
    12 May 2003 - 6:58 AM

Thanks for the link.
    I read the article then visited a manufacturer's web-site.
    See http://www.siliconfilm.com/ for pictures.

Unfortunateley I then went on to read at http://www.irvine-sensors.com/News/silicon_film_suspends.html
    SILICON FILM SUSPENDS OPERATIONS

COSTA MESA, CALIFORNIA - September 15, 2001 - Irvine Sensors Corporation (NASDAQ: IRSN, Boston Stock Exchange: ISC), announced that Silicon Film Technologies, Inc., an independent and consolidated subsidiary, has suspended operations. The Silicon Film Board has retained special counsel in contemplation of liquidation through bankruptcy proceedings, if immediate financing alternatives are not secured.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.