Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Digital image storage

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

HarrietH
HarrietH e2 Member 4265 forum postsHarrietH vcard Portugal
29 Jul 2014 - 7:53 AM

Not long ago I lost most of 6 years of images by relying on an external hard drive. I have saved some because at first I was more careful and had also kept DVDs of images. Unfortunately I got lax with organising and now I have DVDs with random images which need to be sorted and put in some order. I saw in Ephotozine a few months ago a system advertised, a book which was said to help with this chore.
Unfortunately this ad was deleted and I can't find it or remember the name. I wondered if this would help me and what I would need for this and put it aside to enquire later.
Can anyone help with a guide to a system to store and sort all the hodge podge of images I have on DVDs, many of which will just be discarded. I don't use either Lightroom or Adobe, any tweaks are done with Capture NX2.
I was not able to recover my lost images WinkWinkWinkWink although I paid for recovery systems (2 of them) and neither worked. I was and I am still very upset about this loss and so if there is a system to help me get things back into order and manage the images I still have I would be grateful.
Harriet

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jul 2014 - 7:53 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96319 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jul 2014 - 8:28 AM

The book I think may have been by Peter Krogh who writes DAM ( Digital Asset Management ) books

I have one from 2005, but a new version is due this Summer, called The DAM Book, published by O'Reilly.

Might be worth checking it out

Last Modified By JJGEE at 29 Jul 2014 - 8:33 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
HarrietH
29 Jul 2014 - 9:27 AM

Thank you for the link. This just might be what I am looking for. It is very upsetting when images are lost. I gave up photography in sorrow for -
at least a week. Grin
Harriet

Dave_Canon
29 Jul 2014 - 9:34 AM

I think that you should urgently proceed. DVD's are not a reliable storage medium. As my children were growing up, I captured many videos using an analogue camcorder. At some point I digitised and stored the videos on 12 DVD/CD's. After a few years I found the odd DVD would not run correctly and, after 10 years, ten of the twelve could not be played. I did not keep another copy of the digital files but fortunately did keep the original analogue tapes. I have now digitised them all again and now keep multiple copies on more than one computer. There is nothing wrong with using an external drive to back up files but this must be as well as the original files. For security, I have at least three copies of critical files now. I have also had two hard disk failures (out of about 25 over the years) and other DVD failures but have never lost any data other than the videos because I had multiple copies.

I personally use Lightroom to organise my images. If you are prepared to give images key words, colour codes and ratings etc, you can more or less dump them in one place. It is easy to select those you need at anytime using the filtering process in Lightroom. For example, I may want a street photography image taken in Gloucestershire after December 2013. I might also only wish to see final edited images and those rated 4* or higher. LR can pull all of these images from my collection of 20,000 in a fraction of a second.

Dave

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Jestertheclown
29 Jul 2014 - 11:10 AM

I still use DvDs but only as a back up to my back ups.
I have everything copied to 2 external hard drives; their content is identical.
I also have copies stored in the cloud, "Skydrive" (now called "Onedrive") and "Google drive," both of which are free although Onedrive is less generous with the amount of space they offer than they used to be.
I've also got a set of Dvds here and another set at my Mum's house, which admittedly needs updating but but as a last resort, it'll do!
Although I use Lightroom as a raw converter and to do some editing and I know loads of people sing its praises but I've never been a fan of its cataloguing/filing department, so I never use it.

HarrietH
29 Jul 2014 - 11:23 AM

I have Google drive but I never realised Sad that it could be used to store. Thanks for the information

Harriet

Jestertheclown
29 Jul 2014 - 11:40 AM

If you use Google Drive to store stuff as I do, don't instal it on your machine and let it synchronise your uploads as this means that it will generate copies, on your hard drive of everything it uploads. In other words, you'll end up with duplicates of everything you store.
If you don't mind that, then it's fine but it does mean that, potentially, you're wasting a lot of space on your drive.
Rather than that, I just open Google drive and manually copy the files, you can copy whole folders at a time if you use Chrome, over.
If you've got a lot to copy, just leave it running in the background.
You only get 15gb. of free storage per email address, above which, you'll have to pay. Or generate lots of (free) email addresses.

HarrietH
29 Jul 2014 - 11:42 AM

Thanks. From what you say I think extra external drives just might be better.

Harriet

Jestertheclown
29 Jul 2014 - 11:47 AM

Quote: Thanks. From what you say I think extra external drives just might be better.

Use both . . . ?

mikehit
mikehit  56536 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jul 2014 - 12:07 PM

I think using both is a very good idea - the hard drive for your day to day working and the web option for the pick of the crop.

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 1033 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
29 Jul 2014 - 5:11 PM

Quote: If you use Google Drive to store stuff as I do, don't instal it on your machine and let it synchronise your uploads as this means that it will generate copies, on your hard drive of everything it uploads. In other words, you'll end up with duplicates of everything you store.

You aren't using it correctly jester. I couldn't care less if you're doing it back to front. It's when you start telling others to do things incorrectly - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing - that I'll point it out.

Harriet do install the Drive software and let it automatically synchronise your precious files so you don't have to, it will do it silently in the background. Don't then manually upload the same files using your browser, that would be madness. The files are stored in the cloud but cached locally for speed.

Dropbox and OneDrive are intended to work the same way.

Whatever files you keep in those folders are mirrored in the cloud automatically.

If you want to go super advanced and leverage the combined free space of several services at once then use free software like Duplicati to make it more manageable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVBqiIoO7S4

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 29 Jul 2014 - 5:48 PM
Chris_L
29 Jul 2014 - 6:05 PM

OneDrive has seen a price cut lately. It's what I use now, I pay for extra but you can get 15gb for free. Very easy to try out if you are on Windows

Jestertheclown
29 Jul 2014 - 6:50 PM

Quote: You aren't using it correctly jester

I'm sure you're right Chris but the cache, if that's what it was, that was generated was indentical in size and content to the Pictures folder that I'd uploaded.

Also, I don't want Drive (either of them) synchronised with my machine.

Incidentally, how do you get 15gb. from Onedrive for free?

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 29 Jul 2014 - 6:51 PM
Chris_L
29 Jul 2014 - 7:00 PM

Rather than uploading them jes, you could simply either copy or move photos (whichever you prefer) to the Google Drive folder.

OneDrive recently increased the size of the free storage, you shouldn't need to do anything

Chris_L
29 Jul 2014 - 7:01 PM

Who is Chris btw Blush?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.