Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

digital photography a cheat?

foxybrown 9 368
15 Apr 2005 2:43AM
some people i met argue digital photography is not good as film photography because people "get it easy"; by this they are referrring to being able to preview the image immediately after taking a shot and later using software to enhance colours etc.

just want to know what the people of EPZ think about this matter. to me digital photography is the way forward. i see no difference in saturating a photo using a hoya polariser and doing the same thing with a few clicks in photoshop, ones manual the others digital. but they are both doing the same thing. manipulating the light for a pleasant final image.

what are your thoughts on this? are you pro film or digital? where possible give reasons too.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ljesmith 10 1.1k United Kingdom
15 Apr 2005 2:51AM
Ahh good, a film v digital thread.
As people might know I am a supporter of film, because it gives me the quality and diversity that I want to be able to take photographs, especially medium format. As for being to easy to use it all depends on what you want to learn, film can be just as easy with a point and shoot and digital can be just as in depth as film technically.

Good luck with this one. Wink
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2005 2:59AM
Ive always thought of film as cheating - all you do is bung the film in the camera and take some shots. Then hand them over to someone else for development and printing (this excludes people with their own dark rooms).

Much more skill in producing the final print yourself.
ljesmith 10 1.1k United Kingdom
15 Apr 2005 3:04AM
Of course there's no skill whatsoever in exposing the film properly.
debster 10 693 3 England
15 Apr 2005 3:05AM
Ooh, I have very mixed feelings with this one. As a relative newcomer to photography, digital has been a Godsend. I have been able to play around to my heart's content, not having to worry about images that are no use. I've also had the advantage of being able to see on the spot if what I've tried has worked - if not, I've had the opportunity there and then to try again. In addition, it's been very useful when I've got home to look back at the photos and see what settings the shots were taken on - it's been a very good learning tool for me!

HOWEVER....I am against heavy manipulation in post-processing as I feel, personally, I like the shots to look as much like what I actually saw as possible. But maybe this is a personal thing? I like being able to make minor adjustments to a shot but am very against heavy distortions.

Good thread - am interested in other opinions here!

Debbie
nickp 10 491 Scotland
15 Apr 2005 3:05AM
It's just a different production workflow, innit? I mean, take photo, process image, suppress howls of disappointment, go back to start, repeat ad nauseam. Film, digital, all the same to me ....

It ain't what you use, it's what you produce that matters
mark a. 10 920 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2005 3:12AM
Film is better than digital.

No, wait... digital is better than film.

No, wait...
croberts 10 2.2k 8 Ireland
15 Apr 2005 3:17AM
aaaarrrrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2005 3:19AM
Everyone is right, no ones wrong, i agree with everyone, no I dont.

think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
15 Apr 2005 3:23AM
Digital is more convenient at the development stage. In the field it can be as much of a pain in the ass as film - if you want it to be that is. Wink

Now where did I put that flak jacket?
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2005 3:42AM
What are my thought on this? well I have no qualms with any. What you have to do in the first place is see the image then use the camera to capture it. A lot has been wrtiien about pre-visualisation that applies to both film and digital. Digital has certainly opened new doors by elimininating the need for processing. Some graphical skills and manipulation creates work that shocks the old establishment and purist. They both have their place and I may add have thier own unique quality.
Imagine a trip costing thousands and using film. You have to get it right apart from its sensitive state until processed. Digital is right there showing faults corrected on the spot.
Should you wish to use B&W for fine art printing then it has to be film with the many different types available but alas not freely. I reall the similar debate with artist when acrylic came on the scene and was rubbished by those using oils.
I am beginning to shoot in colour again because of digital using a DSLR. It will fill my needs and put me more in control as opposed to colour film thats gets processed by white coats and handed back. Gone is that uncertainty.
Ken
sabretalon 10 1.9k United Kingdom
15 Apr 2005 3:47AM
But does that mean that using film is also cheating, I mean come on really, you should be drawing the landscape! Not with bought pencils either, you should have made your own charcoal and your own paper!

Should we not all therefore be using a big wooden box on legs with a cloak to take photos? Stick your head inside and coax the fairies to paint quicker!

Was there not similar outcries when manual cameras went automatic?

Provided you remember what photography is and spend time setting up your shot and getting the right shot in the first instance, a few minor tweaks at the processing stage should be all that is required. But if you wanted to you can make an image from what used to be wasted shots, OK it may take you 15 hours or so behind a computer making the image something it was not intended to be.

I use digital 100% at the moment but I am looking at film medium format. Why? Because it will make me think about what I am shooting and why, it will also make me more selective in what I shoot and think about my photography.
KathyW 11 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
15 Apr 2005 3:54AM
Uh oh... Here we go again :o)
ahollowa 10 1.1k England
15 Apr 2005 3:57AM

Quote:Stick your head inside and coax the fairies to paint quicker!

Hope this isn't a slurr on all artists. I have heard that some are quite manly!!!

cheers

Al.

p.s. No comment on the topic. Do what produces the image you see in your head. If this is painting, photography collage or smeering blackberry juice on canvas. It's your image produced as you want it. People who like it are fans people who don't are philistines!!
mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
15 Apr 2005 4:09AM
Digital is not cheating any more than using film is cheating.

I will say to foxybrown though that a polarising filter is probably one of the hardest types to recreate in PS. It nost just a matter of playing with the stauration as it affects reflections as well. The effect they cause on blue skys is also not quite acheivable by using saturation controls alone.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.