Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

digital photography a cheat?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Apr 2005 - 8:21 AM

Who cares, why argue about it. Get out and do it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Apr 2005 - 8:21 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ellis rowell
15 Apr 2005 - 9:09 AM

No doubt the archers said this when someone brought a musket on the field.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2005 - 5:45 PM

I thought they said "Musket one of those". Smile

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2005 - 6:02 PM

I thought they said "these television soaps will never catch on"
He he

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2005 - 6:10 PM

The Archers is (or was) on steam radio!

starstriders
16 Apr 2005 - 6:25 AM

I've not read all this thread...because I'm lazy...but I'll give my opinion anyway.

I first learnt the foundations of photography using traditional tecniques with film and darkroom etc. Digital was relatively new, expensive and very taboo in the photography qualification route.

I of course love digital photography for its ease of use and forgiving nature to the amateur. I love being able to review my shots immediately and reshoot accordingly, rather than after a long session in the darkroom!

The major plus with digital is that its availability to anyone is great, the more people who get a chance to enjoy photography without spending a fortune on developing endless films, the better. It really levels the playing field.

Now for something completely different...

It bothers me that people harp on about "all that matters is the final result, not the way you got there". I don't agree with this. A wildlife photographer who invests hours and hours to get that one stunning capture of a magnificent wild animal...and then old Billy-Bob from next door goes to the zoo and gets 60 full face shots of the same species. The final image may be the same, but to me the way it was captured and what was done to the image is very important. I'm sure the judges of Wildlife Photographer of the Year have the same idea when selecting their final images. Of course this has little to do with film vs digital but what the hell. My point is, I think we need to stop arguing about film/digital preferences and talk about technique BEFORE you push the shutter. ;-P

Am I off the mark here or does anyone else think this way?

UserRemoved
16 Apr 2005 - 8:17 AM

Am I off the mark here or does anyone else think this way?

Not sure why it should make one jot of difference to viewing a picture. Interesting background info tho' which I always enjoy. Usually find the distinct background of bush vs bars sorts out the location and veracity of shot

Why is it a get an image of someone seated in comfy chair snapping birds at the bird table?

Scholes
Scholes  9
16 Apr 2005 - 8:27 AM

I totally dissagree with lobsterboy! Especially with transparencies you have to do the hard work in the camera with the exposure as theres no room for error! With digital you can just erase and try again to get the right exposure! if film is cheating then what does that make digital?? I think you loose a connection with just looking at a screen, either in the camera or the computer!

sugarbird
sugarbird  10223 forum posts South Africa
16 Apr 2005 - 8:31 AM

I studied "traditional" photography but now am solely digital, both have merits, I still believe its the "eye" of the photographer that is the most important, whatever you choose...

UserRemoved
16 Apr 2005 - 8:32 AM

I also love the way people assume a photo was manipulated.

Look at my one and only photo in the profile and look at the comments about blur added afterwards or layering.

I dont think you can tell from the photo if its film or digital (its digital by the way).

I dont see the problem with either format myself as I use both (film occasionally and just for fun or for a specific use - like putting a camera in harms way Wink)

I think over manipulation either film or digital is the same. 'Art' I think its called.

Right I'm away back to stir the bitumen and polish the tin plates.

c_evans99
c_evans99  117013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Apr 2005 - 8:40 AM

I love these hardcore film users with their autofocus and programmed exposure modes...hmm.

If you want to use digital or film go ahead, if you want a putty medal because using film is sometimes more difficult then I guess you'll be out of luck.

Ceri

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014929 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Apr 2005 - 8:45 AM

Well Michael, here's what one of my favourite wildlife togs had to say about digital, you'll like this; here

UserRemoved
16 Apr 2005 - 8:51 AM

Denny,
Meant to say to you the other dat, check out your local home depot or whatever is your local equivalent for those clamps (or very similar) they are a hell of a lot cheaper than bhphoto. (I think its just cos they dont have photo printed anywhere on them)

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014929 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Apr 2005 - 8:55 AM

Or Wimberley. Thanks Joe, I'll do that, in fact I think I saw something similar advertised on the tele recently.
Also, our local major junior A team is in the 2nd round of the playoffs. At last......HOCKEY!!!!!

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Apr 2005 - 9:16 AM

When I was taught some photography for a particualr job I was given a 5x4 plate camera on a tree trunk tripod. I had two sheets of film and a meter. I was then sent out to take a specific photo. I then had to come back, exhausted from lugging the kit around, and process the film sheets. I then had three sheets of paper to produce a perfect print from, one for a test stip, another for mistakes and one left for the print.

I really learned something there; when I started the job I took as many pics as I could and wasted no end of film and paper. I nearly always got a good print in the end!

Now I have to pay for it give me digital and a decent computer, a copy of PS and I am more than happy.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.