Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Digital Pinhole Photography

KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2005 3:05PM
As a huge departure from all the technical stuff I woder if anyone has tried this by taking the lens off and replacing with a pinhole on a card. Just for fun of course.
Not having a DSLR but a purpose built 5x4 that I have fun with. I was just curious.
Ken

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sillyconguru 10 4.4k
7 Mar 2005 3:12PM
Not tried it with digital, but I have done it with 35mm (Zenit E with a T2 mount (modified to accept card pin-holes) which gives an approximate effective focal length of about 45mm.
DanSig e2
10 288 Iceland
7 Mar 2005 3:22PM
I just tried it with my 20D, its a bit out of focus.. ok a lot out of focus..

I used a black piece of paper with a hole aboud 1mm in diameter and a 2x magnification glass

pinhole picture
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2005 3:35PM
Interesting image though Daniel. Just shows that it can be done. For a sharper image the pinhole has to be very fine of course. Pinhole shims are sold cut with a laser but I am sure lots of fun can be had by using other means.
PSILVERMAN e2
10 1.3k England
7 Mar 2005 10:12PM
It maybe me but why would you want to?
exposure e2
10 1.8k England
7 Mar 2005 10:20PM
I made a pinhole camera with a large coffee tin and lined it out black and made a tiny pinhole in a piece of coke can and attached it to the side of the tin with a black flap for the shutter. would be nice to know how to do it digitally.
Pauline.
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2005 3:10AM

Quote:It maybe me but why would you want to?

This is purely out of interest and fun, something that explores other possibilities aside from the usual. The same could be said about coating your own paper or using POP (printing out paper) to create an image. There are some that loath photography as a pastime and take to drawing in the belief that it is truly creative. My curiousity was how digital would respond, and now I know. You could say it is all part of the Alternative Process.
Ken
kit-monster e2
11 3.7k 2 Singapore
8 Mar 2005 3:22AM
I read about a company that will laser drill holes in body caps. You send them a cap and they will drill it for you.
kit-monster e2
11 3.7k 2 Singapore
8 Mar 2005 3:23AM
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2005 3:37AM
Yes I have seen their site. There are more dedicated pinhole photographers than imagined. April 24th is Pinhole Day worlwide.
macroman e2
11 15.3k England
8 Mar 2005 4:26AM

Quote:It maybe me but why would you want to?

Why wouldn't you?

What's wrong with trying out daft ideas?

That's what makes life interesting.

It doesn't do any harm to go back to basics occasionally, there's always something to learn!

Someone probably said that about the first digital photo.

In fact some of still do! LoL
billip e2
10 388 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2005 12:06PM
"...a company that will laser drill holes in body caps. You send them a cap and they will drill it for you."

I wonder what is a fair price for a hole ? Reminds me of the old line about the Black and Decker salesman who went to the top when he realised that people didn't buy his products because they wanted 3/4 inch bits, what they wanted was 3/4 inch holes.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.