Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Digital Pinhole Photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92973 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Mar 2005 - 3:05 PM

As a huge departure from all the technical stuff I woder if anyone has tried this by taking the lens off and replacing with a pinhole on a card. Just for fun of course.
    Not having a DSLR but a purpose built 5x4 that I have fun with. I was just curious.
    Ken

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Mar 2005 - 3:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sillyconguru
    7 Mar 2005 - 3:12 PM

Not tried it with digital, but I have done it with 35mm (Zenit E with a T2 mount (modified to accept card pin-holes) which gives an approximate effective focal length of about 45mm.

DanSig
    DanSig  9288 forum posts Iceland
    7 Mar 2005 - 3:22 PM

I just tried it with my 20D, its a bit out of focus.. ok a lot out of focus..

I used a black piece of paper with a hole aboud 1mm in diameter and a 2x magnification glass

pinhole picture

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92973 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Mar 2005 - 3:35 PM

Interesting image though Daniel. Just shows that it can be done. For a sharper image the pinhole has to be very fine of course. Pinhole shims are sold cut with a laser but I am sure lots of fun can be had by using other means.

PSILVERMAN
    7 Mar 2005 - 10:12 PM

It maybe me but why would you want to?

exposure
    exposure e2 Member 101307 forum postsexposure vcard England
    7 Mar 2005 - 10:20 PM

I made a pinhole camera with a large coffee tin and lined it out black and made a tiny pinhole in a piece of coke can and attached it to the side of the tin with a black flap for the shutter. would be nice to know how to do it digitally.
    Pauline.

KenTaylor
    8 Mar 2005 - 3:10 AM

Quote: It maybe me but why would you want to?

This is purely out of interest and fun, something that explores other possibilities aside from the usual. The same could be said about coating your own paper or using POP (printing out paper) to create an image. There are some that loath photography as a pastime and take to drawing in the belief that it is truly creative. My curiousity was how digital would respond, and now I know. You could say it is all part of the Alternative Process.
    Ken

kit-monster
    kit-monster e2 Member 103685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2005 - 3:22 AM

I read about a company that will laser drill holes in body caps. You send them a cap and they will drill it for you.

kit-monster
    kit-monster e2 Member 103685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2005 - 3:23 AM

www.pinholesolutions.co.uk

KenTaylor
    8 Mar 2005 - 3:37 AM

Yes I have seen their site. There are more dedicated pinhole photographers than imagined. April 24th is Pinhole Day worlwide.

macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    8 Mar 2005 - 4:26 AM

Quote: It maybe me but why would you want to?

Why wouldn't you?

What's wrong with trying out daft ideas?

That's what makes life interesting.

It doesn't do any harm to go back to basics occasionally, there's always something to learn!

Someone probably said that about the first digital photo.

In fact some of still do! LoL

billip
    billip  9388 forum posts United Kingdom
    9 Mar 2005 - 12:06 PM

"...a company that will laser drill holes in body caps. You send them a cap and they will drill it for you."

I wonder what is a fair price for a hole ? Reminds me of the old line about the Black and Decker salesman who went to the top when he realised that people didn't buy his products because they wanted 3/4 inch bits, what they wanted was 3/4 inch holes.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.