Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Digital rev

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gingerdougie
24 Sep 2012 - 4:52 PM

Has anyone out there used DigitalRev to buy gear? The prices are excellent compared with most suppliers.What's the catch?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Sep 2012 - 4:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2012 - 5:12 PM

used them long, long ago.

Price are usually good, however they are based in Hong Kong, so delivery times can be long, and there is always a question mark about if you are covered by a manufactures warranty. Also check to see if you are liable for any import dutes

Last Modified By mattw at 24 Sep 2012 - 5:13 PM
chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 7240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
24 Sep 2012 - 5:37 PM

Can't comment on Digital Rev as I've never used them, however I have just taken delivery of a Canon 60d from Panamoz.com. Would definately recommend them. I put a thread on here detailing my experience http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/photomoz-com-my-experience-99312

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82288 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2012 - 5:49 PM

No problems - recommended. Very quick delivery. Haven't needed to try their warranty, but at least they offer one.

Steppenwolf
24 Sep 2012 - 7:40 PM

The prices are not so good when you've had to pay VAT (20%), import duty (about 6% on lenses) and a brokerage charge (about 2%). Sometimes they do deals where they pay the VAT, but I've always found that their prices work out uncompetitive.

User_Removed
24 Sep 2012 - 11:09 PM

I used DigitalRev to buy both my D80 and D300 way back in the olden days. At that time their prices were really competitive and they had a guarantee to refund any Import Duty and VAT charged on delivery.

In both cases I was charged by the courier and in both cases DigitalRev refunded the full charge to my Paypal account within 6 hours of me e-mailing them scans of the courier's receipts.

So, I was very, very impressed with DigitalRev and saved a buckload of dosh.

However, I have not seen their refund of tax guarantee for a while and, without it, their prices (with 30% added to cover tax) are no longer competitive I'm afraid.

DigitalRevDeals

Would like to clarify the concerns as came across to this thread. If you are purchasing from DigitalRev.com website, the prices are all inclusive with import handling and Free shipping is offered. The prices at checkout are the total you'll need to pay for your gears.

As said by LeftForum, if you are charged for any import handling, DigitalRev will refund them to you.

Steppenwolf
25 Sep 2012 - 8:05 AM

Quote: Would like to clarify the concerns as came across to this thread. If you are purchasing from DigitalRev.com website, the prices are all inclusive with import handling and Free shipping is offered. The prices at checkout are the total you'll need to pay for your gears.

As said by LeftForum, if you are charged for any import handling, DigitalRev will refund them to you.

So why does it say on the DigitalRev website:

"The price for the goods quoted on the website shall be exclusive of all costs of carriage and insurance and applicable import Tax/VAT/GST and duty which the buyer shall pay in addition."

It says somewhere else that shipping is free (at the moment), but there's no mention of taxes being refunded.

DigitalRevDeals

Some of the countries may not include with the import handling charges due to different taxation systems in different areas. However, in UK where the OP is located offer all inclusive prices with import handling charges paid.

You can refer to #8 in the terms and conditions about the details of import handling charges - http://www.digitalrev.com/help/terms-of-conditions-of-sales/MTg2NzcwNg_A_A

B_Real
B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Sep 2012 - 11:46 AM

Delighted to see DigitalRev posting here. Big fan of the site and have used them in the past to purchase my 80-200mm f2.8 and various other items. In all cases the offer to refund import duty was honoured, in a timely fashion. You only have to look at the Kai video reviews to see that this is a bona fide company that is dedicated to camera equipment (and humour!).

However, I agree with LeftForum and Steppenwolf. These days there are rarely any duty paid offers, leaving the prices to be very close to what can be found on the likes of Amazon, for UK products. I don't really understand the two DigitalRevDeals posts above. Item #8 in the import handling charges is very confusing to read.

Compare this to onestop-digital.com's policy on import charges:

Quote:
8. Do I have to pay any import charges when I receive my package?

The prices you pay Onestop-Digital do not include VAT and import duty. Your government may charge you import tax and duty. If you are asked to pay such charges, please pay these charges and we will reimburse you in full. Please refer to our terms and conditions for more details on our VAT Free Guarantee.

At the moment, this VAT Free guarantee only applies to orders shipped to Australia, France, Ireland, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland and United Kingdom.

Simple to understand.

DigitalRev used to make it this simple, but not any more.

Steppenwolf
25 Sep 2012 - 2:17 PM

Yes, if DigitalRev seriously think anybody reading their terms and conditions will think that they're not going to have to pay VAT and duty then they're very deluded.

B_Real
B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Sep 2012 - 3:08 PM

I wonder how much UK business DigitalRev have lost because of customers thinking that they had to pay duty & vat themselves. Have just noticed that the DigitalRev duty refund pledge is clearly noted at check out. Perhaps this is too late, and the pledge should be made prior to check out.

However, even with VAT/Duty taken care of, the price advantages at DigitalRev are not what they used to be. Eg.:

Sony RX100. DigitalRev 429 v Amazon (affiliate seller) 453 + 5 delivery.
Nikon D7000. DigitalRev 620 v Amazon 665.

If I'm spending that much, an extra 30 or 40 for manufacturers warranty in my home country is worth paying.

The occasions where digitalrev is worth going to are getting rarer and rarer:

Olympus OMD. DigitalRev 779 v Amazon 999. Ok this is where savings start becomming worthwhile. But again, the higher the price the more likely i'll be financing it over a longer time frame, so why not go for peace of mind with a home purchase.

I think this is an underlying sign of current economic times however, rather than any problem with DigitalRev as a company getting their pricing wrong.

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
25 Sep 2012 - 9:38 PM

I would be concerned about the warranty. Nikon UK will tell you to go away, so you would have to send it back to the supplier. I suspect you have to pay the outward shipping. I have bought many lenses from overseas, and the one problem with Hong Kong suppliers is that they do not wrap equipment well. They often just wrap the box in brown paper and send it, and that is not sufficient for lenses, and perhaps not for bodies. I once received a pair of binoculars from a HK company for review, and one tube assembly was out of alignment. It might have been that the instrument had been dropped in transit. However, the person who sent them had only one functional eye, so perhaps he did not properly checked them before sending. Wink In the case of lenses, if it arrives okay, then it will most probably be fine in use, though I suppose AFS motors could blow prematurely. But for bodies, issues do happen. My D200 blew a component, and required servicing.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62437 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
26 Sep 2012 - 9:08 AM

[quote]I would be concerned about the warranty. Nikon UK will tell you to go away, so you would have to send it back to the supplier. I suspect you have to pay the outward shipping. [quote]
With Nikon there is a warranty difference between a lens and a digital body.
Nikon lenses should come with a Nikon Japan warranty which Nikon UK are obliged to handle subject to proof of purchase within the 12 month warranty period.
Digital bodies have a charger making them electrical products subject to different electrical regulations in different parts of the world.
Nikon (and I understand Canon) digital camera warranties are restricted to specified countries, such as most of the EEC or USA.
A warranty issue with for example a Far East warranty has to shipped overseas.
I understand Sigma will not handle a grey import without proof VAT has been paid.
This may be because under Customs and Excise regulations you do not legally own an imported item unless taxes have been paid on it.
Perhaps what is being practiced is a tax avoidance scheme by DigitalRev involving customers, with DigitalRev relying on tax due not being collected on all transactions to keep prices down.
Whether this puts a DigitalRev customer at potential risk of a criminal prosecution for attempted tax avoidance is something I do not know.

mikehit
mikehit  46194 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 9:22 AM

I think Leif is correct in that in the last year or so, Nikon and Canon have both put restrictions on lenses as well as bodies in that the lenses must be bought from authorised dealers in the country in which the warranty is being claimed.
This is not a Nikon UK thing but is being applied by Nikon globally - it caused a bit of a rumpus in US when it was first announced.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.