Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Dilema

5 Aug 2012 9:41AM
Hello!
I have been a 'canon' officiando for many years but recently (some 6 months now) I have purchased the Sony NEX7 system with the 16mm pancake ,18-55, and, 55-210 zooms plus nissin flash and off camera flash lead.
``````````````````````what worries me a little is that I am finding the quality (colour, sharpness, and overall effects) superior in many respects to my 7D (with 24-105F4 L 70-200L F4 L) plus many accessories
My main interest now is Flora Travel and, street candids documentary (which is mainly why I went for the NEX7)
This is not the first time I have experienced the Canon/ Sony comparisons.
I am considering selling my Canon kit and investing in a sony macro lens and possibly a 5N body as back up and maybe the new Sony top end compact.
Am I going off the rails or has anyone else thought this.
I suppose the 24mp cmos sensor on the sony has a bit to do with it?
Ok some will say , have you thought about upgrading to the 5Dmk111 yes but notwithstanding the cost which I can't afford, is the fact that the compactness does have its advantages.
Mike Tuska

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
5 Aug 2012 9:52AM
iv just bought the 7d im reading a lot. its surpriseing how many seem to blame the camera maybe for there own poor settings.there are happy folk with this camera tho not the easiest to get to grips with.tho i may eat my own words yet haaa
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2012 10:03AM
Mike, if I were you, why not go for the Canon 5D MK II? I went from Nikon over to Canon a couple of months ago and find it a superb camera.
Stephen
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
5 Aug 2012 10:11AM
Go for what you think suits your shooting style best.
Not the end of the world to sell your canon stuffs and go for small kits.
Everyone'preference and requirements are different.
5 Aug 2012 11:52AM
puertouk as I said unfortunately I can't afford the 5Dmk11
ChrisV 8 873 26 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2012 12:06PM
I don't have a 7D, but from what I've read, the NEX 7 will not match it in continuous AF or high ISO performance. If those things aren't important to you and something far more innocuous looking for street photography is, it sounds like you've made the right choice.

No camera does it all - if you're thinking about getting the RX200 too, (which does look exceptional in its class), you're aware of the compromise/convenience of going for something even smaller. No camera does it all - but it doesn't sound like you're too strapped for cash...
rogerfry e2
9 524 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2012 12:25PM
What's the dilemma?.....If you're finding the results are making you happy, use it! Selling the 7D would release substantial funds to build up your new system if that's the way you want to go. The 5N is great for street shots.....very unobtrusive, and ideal for shooting from the waist using the fold out screen.

One of the advantages of the 7D is that it's a lot more robust than the NEX system if your camera gets rough handling...I dropped mine onto a concrete floor with a 100-400 lens, and apart from a few scuff marks it works fine.

If you can't afford to keep both systems, your comments seem to indicate that you're leaning towards the NEX system, and you've already had 6 months of happy usage...so, again, what's the dilemma?

If the high end compact you're referring to is the RX 100, all the reviews are very positive.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
5 Aug 2012 2:31PM

Quote:Am I going off the rails or has anyone else thought this

I`m not using Canon or Sony, but only last week I cleared out the last remaining dslr kit to purchase the OM-D.

Since going M4/3 with a G2 last year, my dslr spent most of its time gathering dust.

Compactness has its advantages for sure.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
5 Aug 2012 6:54PM

Quote:Compactness has its advantages for sure.

How long before there is a camera that takes RAW file format AND can be used as a mobile telephone / surfing the internet etc. ?
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2012 7:29PM

Quote:How long before there is a camera that takes RAW file format AND can be used as a mobile telephone / surfing the internet etc. ?

It amazes me that it hasn't really been done yet. It's such an obvious development.
5 Aug 2012 8:14PM
Thanks for your comments and guidance.
I am still deliberating, but I think sooner than later I will be adding to the Sony kit.
Now; anyone interested in my mint 7D 70-200LF4 IS 24-105F4L 50 mm1.8 IS 550 and 430 flash with sep. off cam lead keno 1.4 converter and other extras.
Will want to sell as complete kit
2250.00 manuals and tamron bag
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2012 8:34AM
When you say the NEX7 is superior to the 7D are you talking about JPEG straight out of the camera or processing RAW files? You can create your own camera profiles and given a bit of time I would be amazed if you could not get your own JPEG on the 7D equal to the NEX7 JPEG.

But it sounds to me as if the NEX 7 does all you want with equal picture quality so it sounds as though you could sell it purely on practical terms if you are so happy with the NEX7.
Steppenwolf 3 1.0k
6 Aug 2012 8:44AM

Quote:I don't have a 7D, but from what I've read, the NEX 7 will not match it in continuous AF or high ISO performance.

The high ISO on the NEX7 is more than a match for the 7D. It's an A77 without the translucent mirror, and the A77 gives away nothing to the 7D in high ISO capability. The current Sony 24Mp is probably the best APS-C sensor around right now. I guess the question is will the next Canon APS-C sensor, which can't be far away, will match it - or even surpass it.

Quote:Will want to sell as complete kit.

I'd advise always to sell camera gear separately - you'll get much more for it because each item will attract many more bids.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.