Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dilema

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MichaelTuska
    5 Aug 2012 - 9:41 AM

Hello!
    I have been a 'canon' officiando for many years but recently (some 6 months now) I have purchased the Sony NEX7 system with the 16mm pancake ,18-55, and, 55-210 zooms plus nissin flash and off camera flash lead.
    ``````````````````````what worries me a little is that I am finding the quality (colour, sharpness, and overall effects) superior in many respects to my 7D (with 24-105F4 L 70-200L F4 L) plus many accessories
    My main interest now is Flora Travel and, street candids documentary (which is mainly why I went for the NEX7)
    This is not the first time I have experienced the Canon/ Sony comparisons.
    I am considering selling my Canon kit and investing in a sony macro lens and possibly a 5N body as back up and maybe the new Sony top end compact.
    Am I going off the rails or has anyone else thought this.
    I suppose the 24mp cmos sensor on the sony has a bit to do with it?
    Ok some will say , have you thought about upgrading to the 5Dmk111 yes but notwithstanding the cost which I can't afford, is the fact that the compactness does have its advantages.
    Mike Tuska

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Aug 2012 - 9:41 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
    5 Aug 2012 - 9:52 AM

iv just bought the 7d im reading a lot. its surpriseing how many seem to blame the camera maybe for there own poor settings.there are happy folk with this camera tho not the easiest to get to grips with.tho i may eat my own words yet haaa

puertouk
    puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Aug 2012 - 10:03 AM

Mike, if I were you, why not go for the Canon 5D MK II? I went from Nikon over to Canon a couple of months ago and find it a superb camera.
    Stephen

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Aug 2012 - 10:11 AM

Go for what you think suits your shooting style best.
    Not the end of the world to sell your canon stuffs and go for small kits.
    Everyone'preference and requirements are different.

MichaelTuska
    5 Aug 2012 - 11:52 AM

puertouk as I said unfortunately I can't afford the 5Dmk11

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7760 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Aug 2012 - 12:06 PM

I don't have a 7D, but from what I've read, the NEX 7 will not match it in continuous AF or high ISO performance. If those things aren't important to you and something far more innocuous looking for street photography is, it sounds like you've made the right choice.

No camera does it all - if you're thinking about getting the RX200 too, (which does look exceptional in its class), you're aware of the compromise/convenience of going for something even smaller. No camera does it all - but it doesn't sound like you're too strapped for cash...

rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 8504 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    5 Aug 2012 - 12:25 PM

What's the dilemma?.....If you're finding the results are making you happy, use it! Selling the 7D would release substantial funds to build up your new system if that's the way you want to go. The 5N is great for street shots.....very unobtrusive, and ideal for shooting from the waist using the fold out screen.

One of the advantages of the 7D is that it's a lot more robust than the NEX system if your camera gets rough handling...I dropped mine onto a concrete floor with a 100-400 lens, and apart from a few scuff marks it works fine.

If you can't afford to keep both systems, your comments seem to indicate that you're leaning towards the NEX system, and you've already had 6 months of happy usage...so, again, what's the dilemma?

If the high end compact you're referring to is the RX 100, all the reviews are very positive.

Last Modified By rogerfry at 5 Aug 2012 - 12:27 PM
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315154 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Aug 2012 - 2:31 PM

Quote: Am I going off the rails or has anyone else thought this

I`m not using Canon or Sony, but only last week I cleared out the last remaining dslr kit to purchase the OM-D.

Since going M4/3 with a G2 last year, my dslr spent most of its time gathering dust.

Compactness has its advantages for sure.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96276 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Aug 2012 - 6:54 PM

Quote: Compactness has its advantages for sure.

How long before there is a camera that takes RAW file format AND can be used as a mobile telephone / surfing the internet etc. ?

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014125 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Aug 2012 - 7:29 PM

Quote: How long before there is a camera that takes RAW file format AND can be used as a mobile telephone / surfing the internet etc. ?

It amazes me that it hasn't really been done yet. It's such an obvious development.

MichaelTuska
    5 Aug 2012 - 8:14 PM

Thanks for your comments and guidance.
    I am still deliberating, but I think sooner than later I will be adding to the Sony kit.
    Now; anyone interested in my mint 7D 70-200LF4 IS 24-105F4L 50 mm1.8 IS 550 and 430 flash with sep. off cam lead keno 1.4 converter and other extras.
    Will want to sell as complete kit
    2250.00 manuals and tamron bag

mikehit
    mikehit  56294 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Aug 2012 - 8:34 AM

When you say the NEX7 is superior to the 7D are you talking about JPEG straight out of the camera or processing RAW files? You can create your own camera profiles and given a bit of time I would be amazed if you could not get your own JPEG on the 7D equal to the NEX7 JPEG.

But it sounds to me as if the NEX 7 does all you want with equal picture quality so it sounds as though you could sell it purely on practical terms if you are so happy with the NEX7.

Steppenwolf
    6 Aug 2012 - 8:44 AM

Quote: I don't have a 7D, but from what I've read, the NEX 7 will not match it in continuous AF or high ISO performance.

The high ISO on the NEX7 is more than a match for the 7D. It's an A77 without the translucent mirror, and the A77 gives away nothing to the 7D in high ISO capability. The current Sony 24Mp is probably the best APS-C sensor around right now. I guess the question is will the next Canon APS-C sensor, which can't be far away, will match it - or even surpass it.

Quote: Will want to sell as complete kit.

I'd advise always to sell camera gear separately - you'll get much more for it because each item will attract many more bids.

Last Modified By Steppenwolf at 6 Aug 2012 - 8:46 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.