Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

disillusioned

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6510 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2012 - 4:50 PM

I am very disillusioned with my photography, I just seem unable to take an image that I am pleased with, for a while I forced myself to take more photos but that did not improve things so I have just put my camera away to see if I can come back fresh after a lay off.

That brings me to two questions.

1 Do any of you go through this.

2 If you do what do you find the best solution for you.

Regards. - Gary

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jun 2012 - 4:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
puertouk  21010 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2012 - 5:10 PM

Hi Gary, I take people out here on Tenerife, to various locations around the Island, so I'm more or less taking similar images most of the time. The thing is, every time I go out with clients, there's always something "new" to take. Photography is capturing light and light changes all the time, therefore your shots change all the time. You may think you are taking the same images all the time, but you're not.
I've looked at the first page of your portfolio and it's mostly flowers and the odd animal. Why not try some landscape photography? Maybe do some portrait work? There is something always new to take shots of, if you "LOOK"
Get your camera out and get snapping. Try different things. Shoot in manual, long shutter speeds. Go and do some night photography. It's endless. Maybe you've just got yourself into a rut.
Stephen

Steve_S
Steve_S e2 Member 8176 forum postsSteve_S vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2012 - 5:10 PM

Hi Gary
I think we all go through these stages at some point, I know I do. I think most of us get very self critical too. When you say you are unable to take an image that you are pleased with, is that on technical grounds or subject matter? I'm never happy with landscapes or people images that I take........so I don't do them Smile I've been out time and time again and blanked and wonder why I'm wasting my time but eventually something turns up that makes the blank days worthwhile.

garth01
garth01  863 forum posts
26 Jun 2012 - 5:11 PM

I often think about giving up photography as I struggle to fit it in along side my day job and family life.last year I stopped shooting for a couple of months and only decided to shoot again once I had a plan of attack. I now no longer agree to take someone's pic just because they asked and I try to limit the amount of shoots I do so that I don't find myself snowed under and that way I still have time to do other things. Maybe it might be an idea to not take pictures for a while and use the time to decide how much you miss the actual process of photographing something as well as looking at other people's work to see if you can find fresh inspiration? What ever you do don't rush into a decision

timbo
timbo  11591 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Jun 2012 - 5:18 PM

I think we all go through this at one time or another. When I feel this way I buy/borrow/steal (maybe not) a different camera, be it a holga or twin lens medium format etc. I set myself a personal project (i'm a pro so most of the time i'm doing what someone else wants). Using strange kit works wonders to refresh my eye. Don't give up.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
26 Jun 2012 - 6:20 PM

Quote: 1 Do any of you go through this.

2 If you do what do you find the best solution for you.

1. Yes, frequently

2. Whisky

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122047 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2012 - 6:41 PM

Yes but which? I can never make up my mind Wink

Britman
Britman  71669 forum posts England
26 Jun 2012 - 7:09 PM

I'm in the same boat at the moment. I just don't have any desire to make pictures of anything, even the new X100 isn't igniting the passion.

I'm sure it'll come back to you.

Overread
Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2012 - 7:23 PM

This is perfectly normal and a part of almost any hobby or interest that you're likely to take part in .

In general I find that many hobbies can, after a time, lose their initial thrill and attraction. Things change as do we and sometimes you'll find that you'll lose that spark for a hobby. At that stage you've got a few choices to make:

1) You can try to respark it. I don't mean forcing it, but doing things to rekindle the interest. Maybe a photo project or some kind with a deadline or a new method/style ot learn/workwith. Sometimes a new camera or lens can be a enough.
365day projects can be suggested, but I dislike these as they are very short term (most end up very quickly being random self portraits and then you end up in the "things near my computer before I go to bed because I didn't take any pictures today)

2) You put it down. Put the camera down and go for a walk - sometimes (in photography) simply moving away and letting yourself wander for a bit without it removes the pressure of "I must shoot" and you start to look around at things you would "like" to shoot again. Thus resparking the interest to get the camera out

If you don't want to try those or find that they don't work then I just put the camera down and move onto something else. Starting a new hobby- restarting an old one. In short I don't force myself to shoot because I find that forcing only results in a negative reaction back (even if you take good shots you'll be super overly critical of them).
So I let it slip back to the back of your mind -I don't sell off gear, I hold onto what I have and I move on. The spark will come back on its own in its own time and when it does you'll have the gear there ready for it

I know for some they are more financially strained and can't afford to have expensive gear laying around not being "used". This being the case I would still encourage them to holdonto the best - starting again will always cost more and sometimes some items might end up gaining a lot in price (rarity) or even not being sold any more at all.

Gypsyman
Gypsyman e2 Member 3659 forum postsGypsyman vcard England
26 Jun 2012 - 7:28 PM

I am always disillusioned, but I get out or look through the window, and I see something to snap in everything, my motto is ' If you See it,
take it ', and I do. sadly for me most people cannot see the thing I have seen, but 3/4 votes from others, means they have or that they feel
sorry for me, both these things cheer me up, helping to lift my disillusionment.

darrensmithgbr
26 Jun 2012 - 7:40 PM

i have some times when i think that every image I take is poor and the only place its appreciated is the recycle bin, it happens to everyone even if they say it does not, What I do to get over it is to simplify everything, when running on full "mojo", I usually have two camera's, a couple of lenses, filters, tripod and reflectors / backdrops but when on a lull, I go for 1 lens, 1 camera and a plane black backdrop and work my way out of it....most of the time it works! If not I will try something new that I have not done before

just don't worry, you will be back on track

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6510 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2012 - 8:10 PM

Thanks for the response guys, lots of good advice to get my head around, in the words of the big man, '' I will be back''

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2012 - 8:57 PM

1) All the time, I even tried a 365 project and that failed, but my photography is not the cause, its just over factors in life that we have no control over that get in the way.

2) The best thing is not to let it worry you.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53989 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2012 - 9:29 PM

I'm sticking stuff up at the moment that I'm not really interested in and which is not good at all.
I've no desire to go out and seek new subjects and just click at anything when I can be bothered.
I hate feeling like this but can't snap out of it. I don't think I'll ever improve and produce quality work, but if I left EPZ I'd miss it so I just plug away.
It's a pain and my mediocrity is a failure on my part.
But don't take any notice of me Gary; I'm just a whining old bag. Wink

gary_d
26 Jun 2012 - 9:46 PM

Quote: cause, its just over factors in life that we have no control over that get in the way.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Paul.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.