Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

disillusioned

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Baz72
Baz72  530 forum posts Scotland
26 Jun 2012 - 10:47 PM

Going through the same thing just now....not been happy with anything since i got a new camera...just not been happy with anything, also struggling to fit any camera time in just now at all.
Just hoping it passes soon !!
Brian.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jun 2012 - 10:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chavender
chavender e2 Member 3216 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2012 - 10:56 PM

Quote: I am always disillusioned, but I get out or look through the window, and I see something to snap in everything, my motto is ' If you See it,
take it ', and I do.

Now there`s an inspirational statement GrinGrinGrin

glsammy
glsammy  8195 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2012 - 11:43 PM

Quote: I'm sticking stuff up at the moment that I'm not really interested in and which is not good at all.
I've no desire to go out and seek new subjects and just click at anything when I can be bothered.
I hate feeling like this but can't snap out of it. I don't think I'll ever improve and produce quality work, but if I left EPZ I'd miss it so I just plug away.
It's a pain and my mediocrity is a failure on my part.
But don't take any notice of me Gary; I'm just a whining old bag. Wink

Same here. You saved me a lot of typing!Wink

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2012 - 3:20 AM

Gary let me know when you have the time away from work etc and I'll take you on a bird/macro session and show you some show techniques you don't know about.....It sounds to me like what you need more than anything else is some new challenges.

If push comes to shove I'll let you borrow a moth trap for a week or so, that'll get your creative juices flowing again.....

Keep your pecker up mate, your mojo will come back, we all go through spells like this I think......Yes even me from time to time and look at how prolific I am, nt that I'm any good mind, just prolific Tongue

Love to Sonia....Ade....Oh and of course Sue, who it must be said is really enjoying that lens BTW.

PinkK
PinkK  580 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2012 - 10:18 AM

I have been exactly where you are too. I love macro and bugs etc but got disappointed with the long dull winters, and longed for Spring and for the bugs to come out again. But then when the nice weather arrived I was too busy to get out and about, or it would always rain on my days off. Then I was worried far too much as to what other people thought of my images and thought I couldn't produce anything anyone would like.

I have since tried and loved portraiture, my daughter being the ever willing model (and sometimes my son). And recently I have enjoyed still life, seeing what I can find around the house and try and create and image that 'I' like.

I have tried and failed to meet fellow togs who live in the area, there just doesn't seem to be any...or any who want to meet. So I just take images of what pleases me and enjoy the whole process.

I no longer feel I have to produce an image 'worthy' of an upload every day, and will take images and process them in my own time and upload just a few times a week...sometimes just the once.

Don't feel down about it all, pick up the camera and have fun, that's the most important thing Grin

User_Removed
27 Jun 2012 - 10:39 AM

My No.1 piece of advice, Gary (and SlowSong as well) would be:

Join your local Camera Club

That is where I get most of my inspiration from - mainly because my antidote to the sort of disillusionment you describe is to seek new challenges. And a good Camera Club will provide challenges aplenty. I wish I'd joined mine 60 years sooner than I did.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64533 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2012 - 10:58 AM

I am a member of a club and have joined various over the years but they don't inspire me. I've been taking photographs for over 20 years but feel that my best work was when i was using film and doing all the dev and printing myself. Perhaps the ease of everything today has made me lazy. There's no anticipation any more, no romance or excitement.

Dave_Canon
27 Jun 2012 - 11:50 AM

I have never been disillusioned with photography in over 35 years. However, I have been in a Club for all but the first 5 years. For most of the time I have been in a Club, I have been on the Committee so getting stuck into organising and being pro-active. One of the many things I do is organise courses. Committing yourself to help someone else in photography gives you high motivation to maintain and expand ones own knowledge. There are so many subjects to photograph in photography so, if one becomes boring, it is easy enough to explore a new subject. I cannot agree about film and darkrooms and find digital photography is much more interesting. I was limited to only a few styles and techniques in the distant past but now I can try many techniques. Camera Clubs were in danger of dying out just prior to digital but since digital membership has increased enormously.

Dave

mikehit
mikehit  56681 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2012 - 11:51 AM

Quote: Perhaps the ease of everything today has made me lazy. There's no anticipation any more, no romance or excitement

I can understand that (not that I ever developed my own photo in the days of film). A few people say that planes and cars have taken out some of the romance of travelling and I can see the parallels.

I wonder if another part of it is the lack of risk - with a film camera you knew you had only a couple of chances to get it right (well, maybe more but it cost one heck of a lot of money). Now you can rattle off a couple of hundred shots from different angles, focal lengths and shutter speeds so now at the back of your mind is the thought 'Yeah, I've got the shot in there somewhere; but with film it is 'did I get everything right?' which adds something to the sense of success.

Something akin to this, I occasionally do is go out with a lens on the camera and no back up, or I intend to shoot one subject only, or say 'today I will take only 3 (or 5, or 6..) frames so I need to be selective'. It can seem a tad artificial to start with but I soon get into the groove.

JohnParminter
27 Jun 2012 - 12:08 PM

Quote: 1 Do any of you go through this.

No Gary.

I've maintained my enthusiasm over the last few years by only concentrating on photographing specific images I have in mind for my book project, I spend lots of time planning, researching and pre-visualising images then when I get an opportunity to attempt capture of them I have bags of dedication and enthusiasm to attempt realisation of my expectations.

I exclude photographing anything else and can willingly go months without opening the camera bag.

I am far from disillusioned as I expectantly look forward to the images I hope to create that match or exceed my expectations.

JP

User_Removed
27 Jun 2012 - 12:28 PM

Quote: Perhaps the ease of everything today has made me lazy. There's no anticipation any more, no romance or excitement.

Yet, in your profile, you say:

Quote:
Now I love digital as I appreciate the ease of correction/manipulation

Wink

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64533 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2012 - 12:38 PM

John, you have a purpose. That helps enormously.

Quote: I wonder if another part of it is the lack of risk - with a film camera you knew you had only a couple of chances to get it right. Now you can rattle off a couple of hundred shots from different angles, focal lengths and shutter speeds so now at the back of your mind is the thought 'Yeah, I've got the shot in there somewhere; but with film it is 'did I get everything right?' which adds something to the sense of success.

I think you're right there Mike but I rarely take more than one snap of anything, maybe 2 or 3 if it's a tricky exposure or if I see a better composition, so I don't rattle off pictures. I went out with just my 50mm the other week and was quite happy with a few images but I did miss the convenience of the zoom. When I go out with the zoom I feel as if I'm being lazy. Whichever lens I take out I always seem to want the ones I left at home. I can't carry everything around - too heavy and mostly unnecessary. Sometimes I think I'd be better off just taking out the G11. Also, I like company, but don't have anyone interested in photography to go around with.

SlowSong
27 Jun 2012 - 12:40 PM

Quote: Yet, in your profile, you say:
Quote:
Now I love digital as I appreciate the ease of correction/manipulation

Well I do appreciate it, but it still seems too easy.

I must change my profile. Wink

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53667 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2012 - 1:21 PM

1. Yes, a few times a year. Normally after lots of similar stuff or frustration about not finding the next level of improvement.

2. Various - self encouragement techniques
I joined a camera club and learnt lots more than expected.
I got more lights and remote triggers
I started shooting people as they are infinitely interesting and harder to stage
I started looking at software processing to emulate other styles.
I try and share styles and ideas with others

Call it writers block, and then have another go Smile
Stuart

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
27 Jun 2012 - 7:26 PM

Quote: I've no desire to go out and seek new subjects and just click at anything when I can be bothered.
I hate feeling like this but can't snap out of it. I don't think I'll ever improve and produce quality work,

I know just how you feel; I havn't picked up my camera for over 7 months now. However, in an attempt to get my mojo working, I'm looking for a project that I can use as a subject for a (personal) photobook. I've come up with a few ideas so far - the fun is in actually coming up with the ideas!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.