Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Dismissed arrogantly!

lemmy e2
7 2.0k United Kingdom
11 Dec 2011 10:43AM
It all sounds like part of life's rich pageant to me. But I'd question your attitude. On the basis of one person, you extrapolate that attitude that to all.

I once met an amateur photographer who was drunk. Are all amateur photographers drunk?

It's bit silly, isn't it?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
11 Dec 2011 11:07AM
Whatever the rights and wrongs of your approach to the father or the pro's approach to you, why do you suggest that this incident might put you off photography?

It might put you off going to dinner parties. But not something as basic as photography.
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
11 Dec 2011 11:21AM
Why would you let something like that put you off. When I first started the sports photography I had loads of people telling me what to do & how I was doing it wrong, you just learn to sort the wheat from the chaff. Chaff being the man who told me I was carrying my camera incorrectly when walking to a race, should have been round my neck apparently and not in my hand. Grin

However, as a beginner, I probably wouldn't have gone up to someone at a party & offered advice, you need to understand that not everyone is going to want your input & may be doing things how they want to do it.
11 Dec 2011 11:28AM
So you told the first guy how to take the pictures, but didn't like the second guy telling you the same thing - how to take the pictures?

What's the difference? Smile
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
11 Dec 2011 11:46AM

Quote:Anyway, i was at a dinner party a few hours ago and the dad of the bday celebrant has a dlsr. He was using it in full auto mode all the time, so with the little knowledge i've got i just showed him a few things to do.

Perhaps I'm being a little harsh here but I'm not surprised the bloke became a little defensive. It's his party, he's been in the business of photography for a long time and you, a relative beginner, by your own admission, comes over and starts telling him how to use his camera. I can see why he became a bit rattled and I'm sure after being involved with photography for 20 odd years, he's got a pretty good idea of what an ISO setting does.
Perhaps the reason he was shooting in auto mode and using the pop-up flash was because he wasn't there trying to capture the next award winning photograph, he no doubt had more important things to do, like run his party and entertain his guests and was more than likely just wanting to capture quick snapshots as memento's of the occasion.
It sounds like you got off lightly. Instead of telling him how you think he should be using his camera, perhaps you would have been better off discussing and perhaps asking what the best settings to use might be in that particular situation. No doubt he would have had a completely different attitude and probably been more than happy to share any tips and techniques with you.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
11 Dec 2011 12:22PM

Quote:
Perhaps I'm being a little harsh here but I'm not surprised the bloke became a little defensive. It's his party, he's been in the business of photography for a long time and you, a relative beginner, by your own admission, comes over and starts telling him how to use his camera.

It wasn't the person he was telling but someone else.
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
11 Dec 2011 12:39PM
Oh I see! I missed that bit Smile In that case, apologies and please disregard my original reply above.
11 Dec 2011 12:41PM

Quote:Are all amateur photographers drunk?

Only on epz outings, I understand! Wink
lemmy e2
7 2.0k United Kingdom
11 Dec 2011 1:55PM

Quote:eOnly on epz outings, I understand!]

Are you only invited on epz outings if you Leica beer? Must be an incredible Ricoh alcohol on the coach, in that case Wink

Sorry.....
11 Dec 2011 4:05PM
Get over it. The guy was an ignorant a!se, whether he was a pro or not is irrelevant.

You should have told him where to get off...
11 Dec 2011 4:15PM

Quote:Oh I see! I missed that bit Smile In that case, apologies and please disregard my original reply above.

no worries.
like what i said, it was the way he said it and his manner of speaking to me that surprised me. besides i wasn't telling someone how to shoot, i merely told them that they can shoot this way and that, without having to use pop up flash all the time. i didn't even insist for him to use it, i merely showed him. i guess this is where some people think that i've gone wrong. i was just showing him not telling him how to use it.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
11 Dec 2011 4:15PM
. . . is this still running?
11 Dec 2011 4:22PM

Quote:So you told the first guy how to take the pictures, but didn't like the second guy telling you the same thing - how to take the pictures?

What's the difference? Smile

like what i said before, i was showing this other guy how to use iso in his camera, not telling him thast he should use it. whilst this other guy without, provocation, told me otherwise and stuff.

What's the difference???? The attitude and manner of telling someone. I was sharing what little i know, whilst the other guy, instead of sharing what he knows, gave me the attitude like i'd never know what to do.

Hope im clear about this one.
I wasn't bragging or being an air-head when i showed the dad a trick or two, was merely showing him something i know, i wasn't insisting that he should shoot this way or that. Hope this is clear.
lemmy e2
7 2.0k United Kingdom
11 Dec 2011 4:36PM
SadSadSad We all feel your pain. A good man sharing his knowledge and love with another human being, so cruelly rebuffed Sad Sad Sad
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
11 Dec 2011 5:31PM
I don't know what it is about Weddings but somehow, a senior member of the 'Head' family always gets an invite...

And it's always Richard!!

What that all about!??

Wink Wink Wink

Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.