Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Dismissed arrogantly!

whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
11 Dec 2011 5:48PM
Let it go & get over it, happens to us all sometimes.
If people ask for advice, be helpful. A lot of people just don't want random strangers telling them or others at a party how to shoot.

Sorry if that sounds a bit blunt, but that's how it is sometimes. We have a chap in the cycling club who when he first joined used to ask my advice about how to take cycling shots and which equipment to use and then told me I was wrong. Couldn't understand why I got a little fed up after a while. Mind you I can giggle as his shots are absolutely dreadful & show no improvement over the past 2 years.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
11 Dec 2011 7:34PM

Quote:used to ask my advice about how to take cycling shots and which equipment to use and then told me I was wrong.

I've encountered one or two like that.

The trick is to tell them, in great depth and excrutiating detail, how to do it wrongly.
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
11 Dec 2011 7:45PM

Quote:The trick is to tell them, in great depth and excrutiating detail, how to do it wrongly.

LOL, he was doing it wrongly nicely by himself, still is Grin
12 Dec 2011 11:23AM

Quote:....like what i said before, i was showing this other guy how to use iso in his camera, not telling him thast he should use it. whilst this other guy without, provocation, told me otherwise and stuff.

Yes, but what's the other two guys versions of what happened? Grin

We will never know!
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
12 Dec 2011 2:20PM

Quote:Yes, but what's the other two guys versions

Indeed. There's always another side to it! Wink
MattK 3 63 United Kingdom
12 Dec 2011 4:05PM
Hi,

I am new to photography and have taken advice from friends and others on improving my ability. I actually think it was fairly brave of you to try and give advice to someone. I think it shows your passion for your hobby and wanting to share your knowledge and ideas (no matter how little) with someone else.

That other person was as you said grateful to learn a "new trick" so I don't know why this other chap decided to make you feel like a pratt in front of others. If the tog taking the shot was happy with your advice then that's all that matters Smile

If I had turned to my friend each time he tried offering me advice and dismissed him I would still be reading page 3 of my manual!!

you will always get people like that in all hobbies/sports/activities etc but you just have to let them say what they need to and take it on board or dismiss it - after all they may have just as valid a point as you were making.

Matt
quengmel 4 10 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2011 3:45PM

Quote:Hi,

I am new to photography and have taken advice from friends and others on improving my ability. I actually think it was fairly brave of you to try and give advice to someone. I think it shows your passion for your hobby and wanting to share your knowledge and ideas (no matter how little) with someone else.

That other person was as you said grateful to learn a "new trick" so I don't know why this other chap decided to make you feel like a pratt in front of others. If the tog taking the shot was happy with your advice then that's all that matters Smile

If I had turned to my friend each time he tried offering me advice and dismissed him I would still be reading page 3 of my manual!!

you will always get people like that in all hobbies/sports/activities etc but you just have to let them say what they need to and take it on board or dismiss it - after all they may have just as valid a point as you were making.

Matt

Hi matt, very nicely said and thanks for the comment. You said it right, i'm excited about learning and sharing the things i know to newbies like me. After all, we all learn from experience right. Like what i said, he was happy i showed him something he didn't know and you're right, that's all that matters.
8'm here for the long haul, well because photography is not an overnight express train.
Thanks for all the replies folks, and keep on shooting.
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
13 Dec 2011 11:28PM

Quote:all that matters.
8'm here for the long haul, well because photography is not an overnight express train.

quote of the week, nail on head and all that..

Stephen
Graflex 11 488 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2011 12:15PM
I'll help any up and coming guy/gal because I started somewhere from nothing..
Good job I didn't meet your 'Buddie',as we would say in the Army,get a bit of service in...he would have gone away with his tail between his legs.

I've a nasty bark for time wasters and know alls.

Enjoy your future hobby in peace my friend.
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2011 12:24PM
Photography is such a massive subject that IMO it takes much more than one lifetime to learn it all; nobody knows it all.

There are more than a few people in this world who are legends in their own minds and come across in an arrogant manner verging on to hubrism; usually such arrogance is papering over large cracks and dents in their own knowledge that they can't/ won't admit to themselves and certainly not to others.

I counter arrogance with an extremely cold shoulder.
petemasty 5 155 England
20 Dec 2011 11:44AM
quengmel

As in all walks of life, ya can't legislate for knob-heads. Take my wife for instance (please!!, take her!!!), she is never wrong!!!! she is the only person in the world who is right about everything.!! Of course this is patently absurd, but try telling her that. It's me who is the only person in the world who is always right about everything.

Just keep in mind that some/most people will be happy for your advice and will only be too pleased to strike up a chat about it. (except for my wife).
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
20 Dec 2011 11:57AM

Quote: Take my wife for instance (please!!, take her!!!), she is never wrong!!!! she is the only person in the world who is right about everything.!! Of course this is patently absurd, but try telling her that.

I know the feeling, Pete.

Recently my wife terminated a "discussion" with the immortal words, "OK. Is there anything else you'd like me to be right about?"

Sad
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
20 Dec 2011 12:29PM
Worthy of Brian Clough, that one Grin
petemasty 5 155 England
20 Dec 2011 2:31PM
I do have to keep reminded the missus who wears the trousers in the house!

As i said to her last weekend, "I'm the boss in this house and don't you forget it!! Any more of your lip woman, and you can make these beds yerself!!"

anyay, that's enough from me regarding wife jokes/quips.
simont 10 2.2k 4 England
20 Dec 2011 2:46PM

Quote:Take my wife for instance (please!!, take her!!!), she is never wrong!!!! she is the only person in the world who is right about everything.!!

You've not met the Mother-In-Law then Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.