Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

dng converter

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

calmat
calmat  3 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2010 - 5:40 PM

can anyone please tell me how to use the adobe dng converter
i can convert cr2 files to dng files but i cannot see thumbnail picture, all that i get is a thumbnail with the dng logo on it

regards ron moore

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Dec 2010 - 5:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
18 Dec 2010 - 6:30 PM

Quote: but i cannot see thumbnail picture

What software are you using? (Welcome to EPS btw!! Wink)

swanseamale47
18 Dec 2010 - 7:09 PM

.Dng is another sort of raw file, you might be able to view it with windows with the right codex but your best bet is adobe bridge if you have a newer version of photoshop or or something like faststone image viewer or picassa (both free)

calmat
calmat  3 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2010 - 7:24 PM

I am using phoshop cs with windows vista 32bit
the dng files are opening up in cs, but i cannot see what they are because when they are converted all you get is a dng thumbail

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2010 - 7:37 PM

Im afraid you will have to supply much more information before anyone can help you, you need to tell us your cs version and camera type so we can know which raw file you using and if your version CS can interpret that raw file, for example cs3 cannot understand 5dmk2 CR2 raw files but CS4 can.
All cr 2 files are not the same altho carry the same name, i suspect that you have the wrong version CS for your camera which is a common problem

calmat
calmat  3 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2010 - 7:49 PM

I am using CS which is photoshop version 8 - my camera is a 500d which takes CR2 files and the the raw conversion for this is 2.4 which I have in CS.
the CR2 files are converting to dng files and they do open up in CS but as I have said I cannot see what the file is

regards calmat

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73878 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2010 - 9:00 PM

The 500d was only released last year. Act 2.4 is donkey years old (shipped with CS I think it's now on CS5 ) so doesn't recognise files from cameras it doesn't recognise - cr2 is the proprietory Canon raw but they do vary dependent on camera. You will need a RAW converter that recognises the 500d.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2010 - 9:10 PM

As i suspected, your photoshop version is to old to handle 500d raw files, you will need photoshop cs4(might be cs5) or better as adobe does not support older versions of there programmes, It very anoying i know but i had exactly the same problem with cs3 and 5dmk2 and I had to update to cs4.
your best option is to use photo professional, the canon software which comes with your camera, its reputed to be much better than cs for raw conversion and use it mainly myself.

As i pointed out before CR2 files differ between camera models

Last Modified By KevSB at 18 Dec 2010 - 9:15 PM
Sabreur
Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
18 Dec 2010 - 10:59 PM

I think that is why the OP is trying to use the DNG converter - to use raw files that are not supported by CS.

When you convert the files, are you using the option to force compatability with camera raw 2.4?

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73878 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2010 - 12:09 AM

But you cant expect any RAW converter to see into the furture. He would be far better using an upto date RAW converter. I can fully understand why he doesn't want to pay for the most recent software, but as already mentioned use the one that shipped with the camera (probably available as a free doenload on Canons site) , save as PSD (or Tiff if it vdoesn't support) then open in CS.

Sabreur
Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
19 Dec 2010 - 12:42 AM

The DNG converter is a stand-alone piece of software that is based on the latest version of ACR. It creates files that can be read by earlier versions of CS.

Adobe designed DNG as an archive format so that DNG files can alsways be read by the latest software. What happens if CS 9 or something withdraws support for the 350D because it is considered obsolete? I convert all my old 350D files into DNG and I can still use them.

calmat
calmat  3 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2010 - 1:13 PM

thanks everyone for your comments they were very helpful, I can`t afford to upgrade to cs5 what does everyone think of elements 9

regards calmat

Nick_w
19 Dec 2010 - 1:31 PM

I think it will depend on what you want to do Ron. for most applications if your new to Photoshop it should be more than adequate. Easier to get to grips with than the full version. If however you intend to do a lot of digital composites, theres no real substitute to full Photoshop.

However you already have Photoshop CS which is still a good package, you could look at Capture One Express 6 to convert the RAWs - then save as Tiff or PSD (not sure if it has it as I now use Lightroom). Then open in CS. Just ensure you match the colour profiles (just set them all to adobeRGB if unsure. Or use the Canon RAW converter and do the same - sorry cant help there I'm a Nikon user. You could always download trials of a couple and give them a go. DxO is another option.

calmat
calmat  3 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2010 - 1:49 PM

thanks nick for all your help and everyone else who sent in any comments

regards calmat

camay
camay  7119 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2010 - 3:36 PM

I use the Adobe dng converter, very useful but on the computer all I can see is a thumbnail saying it is a dng file. So now I take photos in RAW plus I always take a small JPG at the same time, the smallest possible, so that I can see instantly what the photo is. Then if you want to delete etc you know what you are working with.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.