Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

DNG or RAW?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
tri_stand
tri_stand  7
6 Jun 2007 - 12:15 PM

I have Adobe Lightroom in which I can import images from my Nikon D80 as RAW (Which is what i shoot in) or I can select the option to Import and Convert to DNG.

What is the different? Is one better than the Other? Why?

Just like to see what others think. Is it mainly used by pros?

Thanks for any & all comments

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jun 2007 - 12:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stevekhart
6 Jun 2007 - 12:23 PM

DNG is a RAW standard that is universally used by no-one.
Wink

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92967 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2007 - 12:57 PM

By no one except me Smile
Have a read here from the horses mouth.
Ken

stevekhart
6 Jun 2007 - 1:00 PM

Oh you're the DNG user, I've heard about you! Smile

gajj
gajj  1032 forum posts
6 Jun 2007 - 2:04 PM

I appreciate the link as I was wondering just yesterday what DNG actually was..! Thanks.

MeanGreeny
6 Jun 2007 - 2:19 PM

Quote: DNG is a RAW standard that is universally used by no-one.

Ricoh have adopted it as their RAW format and I suspect it's likely that other compact camera manufacturers will eventually follow

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92967 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2007 - 2:59 PM

The Pentax K10 has DNG along with PEF & JPEG.
Ken

cameracat
cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2007 - 3:00 PM

You could look upon DNG's like a ZIP file, In that where ever you send them and irrespective of what software is involved, Your supposed to be able to open them.

This is how Adobe would like to see it any how, A sort of RAW Jpeg if you like.

Trouble is that despite some interest from the odd camera manafacturer, DNG's are still not the Universall medium for dealing with RAW's.

On the face of it it's a great idea, But as yet it not the accepted one size fits all, Most of the Major camera manafacurers are also not keen on giving up on thier own Specific RAW files, Which they rightfully claim are unique to thier products.

Who knows maybe one day, But not yet.

Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2007 - 3:01 PM

Maybe if DNG gets adopted by Microsoft it may make inroads. Adobe have a fair amount of clout but not as much as that.

stevekhart
6 Jun 2007 - 3:24 PM

From a user perspective DNG is no different to any other RAW format. However from a manufacturers point of view it could have cost savings as they don't need to develop propriatary formats and software tools for the cameras.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2007 - 3:32 PM

It would probably be more trouble to the major manufacturers to adopt DNG in place of their own formats.

That's why it probably won't happen (one of the reasons anyway).

stevekhart
6 Jun 2007 - 3:39 PM

Oh well, that's the end of that then! Actually I did use it last week when I was in a canon studio and I had my Nikon. For some reason (I guess it's to do with the version of ACR), their copy of PS CS would not read D200 NEFs, so I converted them to DNG in order that they could be processed by ACR along with the Canon files. It meant having two sets of RAW files, but it did the job.

tri_stand
tri_stand  7
6 Jun 2007 - 4:01 PM

Thatnks for all the help.

So DNG is kind of the middle man between software and all the different versions of RAW files?

Means I don't need to worry about converting when exporting to Photoshop CS3?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2007 - 4:04 PM

I`ve found that if you add the dng plugin to PS, there`s often no need to convert as it would then read the file anyway.

aftertherain
6 Jun 2007 - 7:13 PM

Jus while we're on the subject.
I have a Samsung GX10 that produces raw files in DNG format.
I can't find anything that will open the files as thumbnails in the file they're saved to.
They show up in Adobe bridge or even PS elements but there doesn't seem to be a microsoft thumbnail viewer that works.
Is this specific to the Samsung or does it hold true for any DNG files?
Merl

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.