Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do Bank notes go out of date

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

carrot_heid
29 Nov 2008 - 12:43 PM

I heard the other day that bank notes go out of date if you keep them too long .... is this true and does anyone know the facts?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Nov 2008 - 12:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2008 - 12:49 PM

Old ones get withdrawn otherwise we could still be using them from 1694 but mainly to prevent forgery.

Current UK banknotes are here

withdrawn ones here

All Bank of England notes retain their face value for all time. If your local bank, building society or Post Office is not willing to accept these notes then they can be exchanged with the Bank of England in London. Contact the Bank of England for details.

carrot_heid
29 Nov 2008 - 12:50 PM

thank god for that... I,ve got a sore back and my mattress is too heavy to lift right now Smile

carrot_heid
29 Nov 2008 - 12:52 PM

I wonder if scottish banks have the same policies

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2008 - 12:54 PM

No.

Scottish Paper Money is worthless in England.
Wink

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2008 - 12:56 PM

Quote: I wonder if scottish banks have the same policies

lol Keith

Bank of Scotland will always accept and give value for any of their old series banknotes. see here

Edit: Thats presuming the banks don't go bust of course.

Last Modified By Henchard at 29 Nov 2008 - 12:57 PM
carrot_heid
29 Nov 2008 - 12:58 PM

I know, I,ve just been reading up on that. There would appear to be no obligation to accept Scottish Bank Notes in England but I,ve never had any problems.

Last Modified By carrot_heid at 29 Nov 2008 - 12:58 PM
daviewat
daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
29 Nov 2008 - 1:00 PM

Quote: No.

Scottish Paper Money is worthless in England.

We know :-( but its our personalities that count !!!!!!!!!

carrot_heid
29 Nov 2008 - 1:01 PM

Quote: Scottish Paper Money is worthless in England

Is it... I have always had sassenachs only too eager to part me with my money Smile

da_nige
da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
29 Nov 2008 - 1:02 PM

The problem comes when you're abroad and trying to change money. I got some money nicked when I was backpacking in Europe and all I had was Scottish 20s and the folk in the Bureau looked at me like I had 3 heads and wouldn't accept them.

carrot_heid
29 Nov 2008 - 1:03 PM

don,t accept any of their english notes for the pitlochry event next November Davie Smile

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2008 - 1:03 PM

Quote: but its our personalities that count

Bad news then.
Wink

I lived for three years on the Northumbrian/Scotland borders and we lived with a mixture of English and Scottish notes but it was fun to watch the Grockles arguing with shop keepers when they were given a Scottish Fiver in their change.

Last Modified By keithh at 29 Nov 2008 - 1:04 PM
carrot_heid
29 Nov 2008 - 1:27 PM

and when the grockles cross the border to the hallowed land they expect us, without hesitation, to take the english stuff

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96057 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2008 - 6:51 PM

But that's good - I have no problems when visiting the hallowed land but they don't half give me funny looks down here in Gloucestershire when I had over the Scottish stuff..... I usually make sure I bring back a few notes as I find it quite entertaining.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.