Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do camera clubs cramp a photographer's style?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102983 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 1:50 PM

All too formal for me.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Feb 2013 - 1:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
19 Feb 2013 - 2:09 PM

Quote: Just get a few regular photo friends and go out taking photos.... who needs a club?

Not everyone has friends who are photographers. Whereas in a camera club, you get to meet other enthusiasts and then you can decide which of them become friends.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102983 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 3:14 PM

Photography is a solitary pursuit most of the time that has the beneficial effect of allowing you to concentrate.
Clubs have their use that cant be denied while I rejected what I should or shouldn't do in my early years belonging to a club. There are supremos among them while the bottom line is how you see your subject with composition and exposure being the fundamental rules you need.
My frustration there was never any meeting allowing the members to openly discuss images which was restricted to be the province of a judge.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023181 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 4:35 PM

Quote: : Just get a few regular photo friends and go out taking photos.... who needs a club?

As in, form a club Wink

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 10:54 PM

Quote: : Just get a few regular photo friends and go out taking photos.... who needs a club?

As in, form a club Wink

....but with no "rules" Wink

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023181 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 10:59 PM

You just made one. Wink

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 11:25 PM

RULE 1 - NO ONE TALKS ABOUT CAMERA CLUB Wink

SiHunt_GrafficSnapZ

Hi Ian, nice to meet you, thanks for the vote. With you 100% about CC's, here's how to win for free; shop lift a large pink sock, kidnap a 1 week old kitten, stuff it's a**e into sock, capture on ipone, put in projected image comp, wait for all the ah's to die down and listen to judge give you 20/20. Simples! Like the look of your wrk, back later when more time. Best regards, Si

Geoffphoto
6 May 2013 - 8:53 PM

Quote: here's how to win for free; shop lift a large pink sock, kidnap a 1 week old kitten, stuff it's a**e into sock, capture on ipone, put in projected image comp, wait for all the ah's to die down and listen to judge give you 20/20.

Not if I'm judging !!! Grin

iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
10 May 2013 - 7:12 PM

I'll give it a try, I understood to win you needed to think like a judge, they really must be special!
Ian

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
10 May 2013 - 7:35 PM

That's one way of doing it Ian, but a few thoughts may change your mind:

- I've had the same image judged by the same judge at different time in a season and it got very different marks each time

- I've had the same image in a Round Robin, judged by 6 different judges and its received beween 4 and 10 marks (out of 10)

- even when the judge is wrong they are always right (as in, "this image has clearly been photoshopped" when it was untouched, "that bird is the wrong colour = 4 marks" when they had mistaken the species etc)

- who cares what the judge thinks anyway, take pictures for your own pleasure and submit ones that will confuse the judge, I love it when they say "I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at here", even more so when they score it a maximum Grin

Last Modified By brian1208 at 10 May 2013 - 7:35 PM
peterjones
peterjones  123991 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 May 2013 - 8:34 PM

shoot for show
shoot for dough
shoot for camera club judges
shoot for yourself

All the above views are wrong or right depending on you; if you let camera club style over influence you then they may well cramp you as you chase marks and seek to please judges or else you can choose the camera club style to be just a part of what you do.

Personally I do what I do.

Last Modified By peterjones at 10 May 2013 - 8:35 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 May 2013 - 6:33 AM

I'm amazed anyone can shoot stuff aimed to please the judges. All I can say is that you must have much more consistent judges than we seem to get at my club. Usually if a judge gives you a terrible mark in one competition then you might as well put it in another comp as it is bound to win.

ade_mcfade
12 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

if you were a judge, what criterion would you use to score shots....

it can't be easy

not sure it could be that enjoyable really

are they on a power trip ?

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014926 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 7:39 PM

It's the free ale Ade.Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.