Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do Canon replace faulty goods?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
22 Nov 2007 - 8:46 PM

I have a faulty ex speedlite that is less than six months old and it is faulty. I sent it to one of the companies that fix canons goods under warranty but they have not fixed it. It has got another fault within days of getting it back. Will canon give me a refund or a replacement? james

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Nov 2007 - 8:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2007 - 9:06 PM

What's the problem with it, out of interest?

User_Removed
22 Nov 2007 - 9:20 PM

Quote: What's the problem with it, out of interest?

When i set it to normal exposure 0+ and taking a photo. It defaulted to either -1-3 or -2/3 in camera going by the data in camera, hence i never know if i was getting an accurate flash exposure. I sent it away for repair and i received it back saying that the could not find a fault with it despite info in camera saying otherwise. I done a portrait shoot with it today and my flash stoped working so it now has 2 faults. james

Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
22 Nov 2007 - 9:23 PM

if you can take it back to the shop you bought it from and see if they will give you a new one, I think they have to?

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2007 - 9:29 PM

I don't know about Canon cameras, but isn't the camera trying to tell you that the image is underexposed - i.e the flash is too far away for the ISO and output selected? Not that it has changed the settings.

Obviously this all depends on camera and flash settings, but from the basic information given this would be my take and why the repairer possibly could not find a fault.

csurry
22 Nov 2007 - 9:30 PM

Quote: If you can take it back to the shop you bought it from and see if they will give you a new one, I think they have to?

I think that is not true if you have already accepted a repair - it would have been otherwise, but I'm sure someone on here knows for sure - consumer laws have probably changed since I last studied them.

justin c
justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2007 - 9:36 PM

Quote: It defaulted to either -1-3 or -2/3 in camera going by the data in camera

You need to check your cameras custom functions and possibly your flashgun's custom settings to make sure they aren't set to automatically reduce the flash output in certain situations/modes. One of the settings on Canon cameras is to automatically reduce flash output when used as fill in flash.
Can't remember off hand which one as I don't have my camera in front of me.

Last Modified By justin c at 22 Nov 2007 - 9:37 PM
User_Removed
22 Nov 2007 - 9:38 PM

I bought it online from warehouse express and i think the rules regarding online purchases are different from going in to an outlet in the high street. james

csurry
22 Nov 2007 - 9:39 PM

Quote: I bought it online from warehouse express and i think the rules regarding online purchases are different from going in to an outlet in the high street. james

They are indeed

Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
22 Nov 2007 - 9:43 PM

now I thought that if bought online they do have to give a replacement or refund, something about remote purchasing or something. I'd say it might be worth seeing that W.E. say.

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
22 Nov 2007 - 10:04 PM

It sounds like a camera setting that's not right. If flash exposure compensation is set in-camera, that over-rules the flashgun setting. Also, as correctly pointed out - the exposure meter will show if the background is underexposed. The EOS flash exposure system has two components - the ambient exposure that exposes the background and the flash exposure that exposes the subject. In Av mode, the camera calculates this 'balanced' exposure, so the background beyond the flash range is correctly exposed and the flash illuminates the subject. You can use this creatively to dumb-down a distracting background. In P mode, the camera disregards the background and only uses the subject to calculate the exposure.

So,

1. Make sure you have no flash exposure compensation set in-camera.

2. Make sure you have no exposure compensation set in camera.

If no fault has been found, you must rule out the above.

Jo

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2007 - 11:19 PM

Quote: with it today and my flash stoped working

Based on this part of your second post, The unit is dead and not working at all.

Therefore a different fault, And one that needs looking at by who ever for repair, 6 months down the line I think all you can expect is that the item is repaired at no cost to you.

However if you are getting consistant failures, There may be a case for getting the thing replaced.

Try another repair attempt, If it fails again speak to W/E about getting a replacement, You can but ask, And W/E can but put some pressure on Canon.....Might work.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2007 - 11:32 PM

Quote: It defaulted to either -1-3 or -2/3 in camera going by the data in camera

Hang on a moment if the gun is working lets do some checks

1 Is your camera firmware up to date I have a vague memory of some updates for Flash comm's issues
2 Just remind me how are you puling this data out and are you certain that the camera and gun are set to 0.
3 what camera mode are you in? some modes might do auto fill flash. Set it to manual and repeat the check.
4 you are within the flash range are you? Check the LCD display and also check the Flash confirmation light (it stays on for 4 seconds on my gun if good)

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
22 Nov 2007 - 11:36 PM

Whether you buy on line or in a shop your 1st port of call is the retailer. Under EU law they are the people who deal with all warranty issues.

The other possibility is that your camera has developed a fault not the flash. Worth trying it out on another Canon body before you do anything else.

User_Removed
22 Nov 2007 - 11:39 PM

Quote: Quote:It defaulted to either -1-3 or -2/3 in camera going by the data in camera Hang on a moment if the gun is working lets do some checks

1 Is your camera firmware up to date I have a vague memory of some updates for Flash comm's issues
2 Just remind me how are you puling this data out and are you certain that the camera and gun are set to 0.
3 what camera mode are you in? some modes might do auto fill flash. Set it to manual and repeat the check.
4 you are within the flash range are you? Check the LCD display and also check the Flash confirmation light (it stays on for 4 seconds on my gun if good)

I use it in aperture priority all the time and the flash in ETTL.The flash has now totally packed in. james

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.