Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do Canon replace faulty goods?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
22 Nov 2007 - 11:40 PM

Quote: Now I thought that if bought online they do have to give a replacement or refund

The only difference in buying on line is you have the right to send it back for a full refund within 7 days of receiving the goods, even if its just because you changed your mind.

If it not repairable then you should get a replacement regardless of where you bought it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Nov 2007 - 11:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tatterdemalion
22 Nov 2007 - 11:41 PM

Im sure that under the distance selling act the seller must honour a one year warranty. If the manufacturer offer a longer warranty on the packaging then after the one year is up you would then deal with the manufacturer.
I would contact WE for an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorisation). If you think there is a fault then they have to take it pretty seriously.
As i have no experience returning anything to them i dont know how good their customer service is.

p3asa
p3asa  8676 forum posts Scotland
23 Nov 2007 - 5:16 AM

Have to agree with Cambirders post.

Believe it or not but Canon have nothing to do with the problem. Your contract is with Warehouse Express. They are responsible for any warranty issues not Canon.

Google: Ginger beer. (Donoghue v Stevenson)

Have a look at this link for some info.

The only problem I can envisage is if Warehouse Express never gave you permission to send it to "another company" to be looked at then they might be able to argue your warranty is now null and void.

In saying all that Canon may look at your case sympathetically and help you out but they are under no obligation.

Like others have stated, it sounds like it is a settings problem.
Steven.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2007 - 7:33 AM

Quote: The only problem I can envisage is if Warehouse Express never gave you permission to send it to "another company" to be looked at then they might be able to argue your warranty is now null and void.

The warranty is not the issue - the important thing here is the sale of goods act - it is the responsibility of the retailer, not the manufacturer. The fact you sent it somewhere else first is neither her nor there (unless they screwed it up)

p3asa
p3asa  8676 forum posts Scotland
23 Nov 2007 - 9:37 AM

Quote: The warranty is not the issue - the important thing here is the sale of goods act - it is the responsibility of the retailer, not the manufacturer.

That is exactly what I said. It has nothing to do with the manufacturer (Canon) but everything to do with the retailer (Warehouse Express)

Quote: The fact you sent it somewhere else first is neither her nor there (unless they screwed it up)

I never sent it anywhere Wink

I disagree with that point. If Warehouse Express know it has been disassembled by A.N.Other without their permission then they could wash their hands of it. W.E. are legally responsible for the warranty so why would the OP want to send it to another company? Not unless W.E. advised the OP to send it to one of their approved repairers which then makes everything okay but the OP hasn't given enough details of why he sent it to "another company".

If the retailer (W.E.) refused to acknowledge there was a fault, then I could see the OP sending it to a 3rd party for an independent report but that would usually be the step before taking them to the small claims court.

For all Warehouse Express know, the other company could have damaged it inspecting it. So why should they be liable now?

It is a bit like electrical goods having a sticker over a screw hole stating "Warranty Void if removed". Unless it is the supplier or someone operating on the suppliers behalf, the warranty could be void if the sticker had been damaged or removed by some 3rd party irrespective of whether it was still under warranty or not.

Steven.

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 132272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
23 Nov 2007 - 3:46 PM

There is also a setting if I remember rightly that stops the flash firing too. Check that Custom Function 7 on your camera (same on 20D and 5D) isn't active. A similar function may exist on other EOS models.

Can you fire your flash off-camera using the test button on the rear of the flashgun?

Jo

Draig37
Draig37  7248 forum posts Wales
10 Dec 2007 - 12:31 PM

James, did you fix this flash? What was the problem?

User_Removed
10 Dec 2007 - 3:04 PM

Yes it got fixed, they had to reset a computer in it. I am not convinced that it is working consistently though. james

Draig37
Draig37  7248 forum posts Wales
10 Dec 2007 - 3:58 PM

So - Canon have fixed it and tested it, but it's not working now you got it back? I'll give you 50 for the flash (and the Canon test cert/letter saying all is well)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.