Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do I get the Samsung NX300 or not?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Davyboy16
    Davyboy16  2 United Kingdom
    17 Nov 2013 - 7:06 PM

Hi, I have sold my DSLR because I didn't like lugging the bulk and weight around. I still want the ability to shoot like a DSLR so have decided to go for a CSC. I'm looking at the Samsung NX300, you seem to get a lot of camera for your money and I really like the look.

My question is do I go for the Samsung or is there something better for the same money (best price I've seen is 510).

Thanks,

Craig.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Nov 2013 - 7:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Nov 2013 - 8:24 PM

That is entirely up to you but also consider the system as a whole, will it have the accessories you will need like flash units and lens choice.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7786 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Nov 2013 - 8:29 PM

I don't know an awful lot about Samsungs - except they don't seem to be bad cameras (but no-one seems to make a bad camera these days).

Two reasons I'm not personally all that interested in Samsungs.

1. It's APSc - you get a very slight advantage (potentially) with APSc in high ISO performance (even in best case I don't see it as anywhere near one stop) and a similarly small advantage in DoF control over M4/3 format. But you pay for this in size once you factor in the lens size - which is IMO significant in weight/bulk.

2. Lenses again - just a very restricted choice in what you can use. It's a proprietary mount and your selection is limited by what Samsung themselves provide.

Having said all that, if you're not thinking of expanding your system, the Samsungs look like they offer plenty of bang for your buck. Just a bit of food for thought.

Last Modified By ChrisV at 17 Nov 2013 - 8:30 PM
    salopian
    salopian e2 Member 2salopian vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Nov 2013 - 12:48 PM

Been using the earlier NX100 for just over a year. It's very solid and just about the right weight and performs well. I got a small 30mm f2 lens (eq ca 50mm) and found an EVF on Amazon at a much reduced price, which gives me a modern equivalent of my old Pentax ME super with 50mm lens. I deliberately restricted myself to the prime lens to try to recreate the old happy days with the old Pentax and am enjoying myself thoroughly. I do have the kit zoom to fall back on if need be, but I take the point that there is not a huge choice of lenses
    I like the feel and finish of it and have got some decent results, quite a lot using full manual control including focus which is easy to achieve on the bright screen

Steppenwolf
    18 Nov 2013 - 1:27 PM

When you're buying into a system you need to consider the system as a whole - and whether the system is going to be around in a few years time. APS-C CSCs are in a relatively crowded market - Sony NEX, Fuji X and Canon. Can Samsung compete in this company?

The other thing is do you really want APS-C? As has been said the lenses will be bigger so you lose some of the usual advantages of the CSC. And if this doesn't matter to you and you want APS-C, I personally would go for the NEX - the quality is superb and they're competitively priced.

But the best system at the moment is probably M4/3 and it looks like it will be around for a long time.

pcheywood
    pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
    18 Nov 2013 - 7:30 PM

Why wouldn't you want an NX300 ?

They have a lovely selection of pancake lenses, prime lenses and wide/standard zooms, all available for excellent prices. Great ergonomics, and easy to navigate firmware (even easier if you take to the ifunction system).

They don't have the most flexible in the flash system (wouldn't stop you using transmitters and studio flash etc), and they don't have the largest buffer for RAW files (no problem unless you're a machine gunner of Raw files).

Davyboy16
    Davyboy16  2 United Kingdom
    19 Nov 2013 - 9:47 PM

Hi, well after considering the Samsung NX300 I have now just ordered the Sony NEX6. After careful consideration I wanted a view finder and a built in flash, spent lots of time looking at reviews and it faired very well so I took the plunge.

Thanks for all the advice I have received and I can't wait now to get my hands on my new toy.

pcheywood
    pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
    20 Nov 2013 - 1:00 PM

Quote: Hi, well after considering the Samsung NX300 I have now just ordered the Sony NEX6. After careful consideration I wanted a view finder and a built in flash, spent lots of time looking at reviews and it faired very well so I took the plunge.

Great choice, I've given the NEX 6 more than a coat of looking at myself, it's the body style that Samsung need to produce to match their superb pancake lenses...... Here's hoping they go for it.

Enjoy your new camera !

Steppenwolf
    20 Nov 2013 - 1:56 PM

Quote: Hi, well after considering the Samsung NX300 I have now just ordered the Sony NEX6.

Good camera - I was pondering getting one too.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7786 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Nov 2013 - 2:55 PM

If I were going for an APSc mirrorless I reckon that's the one I'd choose too.

pablophotographer

Hmmm my advice arrives too late. I think Samsung would satisfy you even with NX11 and I hope there will be a successor too, almost like NX300 but with a built-in electronic viewfinder. Samsung make their own lenses but Samyang lenses do compatible ones and they are pretty good and inexpensive too. I can't say I love the NEX concept, they seemed to be credit card thin and have a huge protruding lens, but I was given a chance to shoot with one once and I didn't feel uncomfortable. Enjoy your new camera!

Steppenwolf
    23 Nov 2013 - 10:01 AM

Quote: I can't say I love the NEX concept, they seemed to be credit card thin and have a huge protruding lens

It's a problem that all APS-C cameras have with longer focal length lenses. Some of the "standard" lenses are quite small, e.g. the 16-50mm lens. The thing about NEX is that it's building into a fairly big system with high quality dedicated video cameras sharing the NEX lenses and the NEX cameras being able to also use Sony Alpha lenses via an adaptor - which can also include PDAF. The concept is excellent IMO - I'm just not sure about whether it was the correct decision for them to use an APS-C sensor. Time will tell.

lush
    lush  2 United Kingdom
    26 Jan 2014 - 5:41 PM

I do not think you would be disappointed. I have had one for almost 4 month and it does a good job with good image quality up to iso 1600 and possibly 3200. Like any camera you have to work with it's strengths and work around it's weaknesses but for me the strengths far outweigh the weaknesses.

Am not as yet accustomed to not having a viewfinder however, I have not come accross a situation were I have not been able to take a shot for the lack of one and the touch focusing is a joy. Not having a viewfinder may prove more challenging come the summer but not to the point of being a deal breaker. As I learnt on a 35mm am not an instinctive burst photographer but those that do use burst shooting often mention it buffer size as being limited.

As for compactness it easily fit into my jacket pocket with the 20-50mm lens and I hardly notice it is there, but most often I just carry it around in my hand with a wrist strap.

Ultimately there are some good cameras out there and the NX300 is definitely one of them, it all depends on which best suits you and your type of photography. Whatever camera you get I hope you enjoy your photography.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.