Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do i need a degree to do what i love?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
AliceLuisePhotography

Im in the first year if college nearing entering into the second and all my lectures want to to go the university, but the point is i do not see why i need a degree in photography is there something i could learn more than I'm already learning. Do i need a degree to be classed as professional? Im bit suck I'm torn between yes or no, positives that ill be able to say i have a degree, negatives 2-3 more years of learning before the real world and lots of debt. I like to hear other peoples opinions on photography degrees and if they are worth it?

Thanks Alice!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Apr 2013 - 8:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ray1
ray1  10518 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 8:59 PM

My view would be that you do not need a degree but you do need experience, a good portfolio and an excellent business capability. For some professions a degree in the subject is essential such as being a Dr but not for lots of other things such as photography. A degree course will give you a good opportunity to learn your skill and make contacts etc but you do have to balance that with the cost. I would guess that lots of established photographers do not have a photography degree and most of their business comes from the quality of their work. I don't think many people ask their photographer to see their degree qualification.

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 8:59 PM

If you want to be a professional photographer, knowing how to run a business is much more useful - whether that is in degree form or from practical experience

Spencer1966
14 Apr 2013 - 9:21 PM

Agree - if you must have a degree go for one in business and marketing - professional photography is 90% business 10% photography. From what I have seen from people with photography is that they totally do not understand light and lighting techniques.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 9:35 PM

Quote: Do i need a degree to do what i love?

A degree - or any other qualification - in photography will count for absolute zero.

Your portfolio plus, even more importantly, your marketing skills will count for everything. Smile

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72220 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 9:59 PM

Go to uni and study business, whilst continuing your photography when ever you have a moment, using epz plus other youtube videos to improve your photography.

bigalguitarpicker

You don't need a degree to become a photographer. You don't need any qualifications at all to become a photographer. As others have said, a business degree would be better. Having said that though, if you do decide to study for a degree in photography, you'll find that you must pass a Business Studies component as part of your course. Everyone studying for an Arts degree is compelled to do this. I completed HND Photography a few years ago, followed by a degree in Creative Imaging. Everyone complained bitterly about having to do Business Studies, but to no avail! I will say that I found my study courses beneficial, but I was taking them for my own enjoyment and enlightment as a very mature student, not with any intention of finding employment.
HTH, Alex.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82314 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 9:59 PM

I was once told that there are more photography graduates from UK universities per year than there are professional photographers working in Europe.

I have no idea as to the accuracy of this claim, but I think the point to take from it is that a degree in photography does not necessarily lead to a career in photography. This is a fact no matter how you quantify it.

Another fact is that going to, and graduating from, university is about far more than the course or subject you choose to study. Yes, a degree course incurs debt, and yes it isn't for everyone. But before you dismiss it out of hand you need to think carefully about the advantages a university education can bring, and whether these offset the advantages of other routes to your goal.

Just a thought...

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 10:17 PM

You do not need a degree, but depending on you and your skills/outlook, a degree could be something that enables you to discover thinks about yourself and photography that make a significant difference.

My advice is to have a look at a few universities, see what they have to offer, talk to some of the students and lecturers at the open day, and if possible talk to some professional people who work in the field of photography that interests you. It is true what they say about jobs etc, but then it is also true that some people benefit from a degree. There is no correct solution for everyone, but there is probably a correct solution for you. Try not to let us old cynics push you into a path.

Also from looking at your portfolio picture I think you have youth on your side. If you pick a path, give it a year, and if you have massive regrets then you will still have time to try the other path. So my advice get the A Levels in the bag with good results, and if you feel that Uni may be for you, but you are not certain, you could take a year out and try and get an assistants job, or if you are brave and skilled you could try setting up your own business. At least if you get the College work banked you can fall back on it in the future. And if you did go to Uni, the life experience will have a value.

Good Luck.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3794 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Apr 2013 - 10:18 PM

There are something like 150000 first degree graduates per annum in the UK. The Federation of European Photographers, a European umbrella organisation of national professional bodies, represents about 50000 European professional photographers. We can probably safely assume that the actual number of professionals is higher than this. Unless more than one in three graduates is a graduate in photography, I'd say the claim is totally spurious.

scottishphototours

Do a search for the HUGE recent thread on this subject...lots of opinions!

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2013 - 12:42 AM

One line of photography that you could potentially follow at least for the short to medium term (technical advances are likely to eventually make it obsolete) and where a degree would help is medical imaging, however its a little short on creativity.

monstersnowman
15 Apr 2013 - 4:56 AM

One thing to consider is that the are different types of photography degree. I took on a degree in commercial photography and whilst I learned a lot about history and semiotics etc I forgot more about actually taking photos than I learned. One or two on the course have gone on to follow the avenue they wished but I am confident they would have done so anyway ... I would look closely at the course content and decide if it specifically suits your needs. I am sure just to be a photographer you do not need a degree or indeed any qualification but if you are seeking employment you should look at job adverts to see if they expect degree standard applicants. If so then merely having the degree, regardless of how much you improve, will be important in just getting onto a shortlist.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315208 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2013 - 5:37 AM

Quote: Go to uni and study business, whilst continuing your photography when ever you have a moment, using epz plus other youtube videos to improve your photography.

Yes I agree a business degree would be good but so could a photography degree.

I have a friend that studied family law, he qualified but spent a lot of time chasing jobs.

So he went back to collage and trained in teaching, he now teaches law, and has never been happier.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3792 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2013 - 8:07 AM

If I were you, I would think really deeply on your personal aims and targets.....then ask yourself the all important question........WHAT DO I REALLY WANT TO DO?....make a list, prioritise each item.

It is obvious that if you want to be a good professional photographer then you need to study and practice photography in depth, whether at University or elsewhere.......but above all .....no matter what you choose to do in life.....it is essential that you learn to develop good business sense.

I know dozens of people who went to University to study one thing, then ended up doing something completely different, whilst retaining lots of positive spin- off from their University Education.

I wish you well!

Hobbo

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.