Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do i need a degree to do what i love?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

AliceLuisePhotography

Quote: Someone like Hugga Dunn, graduate of UWE and now working as a freelance fashion photographer http://huggadunn.co.uk I wonder if she would be using medium format film if she hadn't gone to Uni.

Just a point that I'm at college and we too use medium format film at times.

I recently spoke to the fashion photographer James Nader and he too has no photography qualifications, though the idea of doing a business degree maybe not straight away after college but later in life might be ideal.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Apr 2013 - 6:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2013 - 6:35 PM

What sort of photography do you want to do, Alice?

Do you see yourself as being employed by another photographer, or do you want to run your own business?

AliceLuisePhotography

I dont really want to be employed by another photographer as per say, more employed by someone to take photographs. I have my own little business where i do portraits and weddings but i dont really want to get stuck photographing the same things. I think id like to have a studio but i know the cost is high to buy a place, but i have heard of schemes where you can get grants i think it is. I enjoy taking portraits especially taking ones in different locations not just on a back drop. Not too keen on landscape, architecture.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2013 - 6:56 PM

Unless, as has been said, you want to branch out into forensic/medical photography, e.g. taking photos of murder scenes or or close-ups of gory medical procedures (Wink) a degree in photography is likely to be of zero use to you... and you will never recover the cost.

If you are not confident about your photography there are other (cost-free) ways of learning.

If you are prepared to spend 599, there is the EPZ course. Smile

AliceLuisePhotography

Im alright ill stick to my free alevel course at the moment and see how that goes.

779HOB
779HOB  21034 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Apr 2013 - 7:43 PM

I can't believe the EPZ course has been even mentioned as a option instead of a degree.

Alice, just visit some uni's and see what they have to offer. Do not make a decision based on this forum. Talk to people who know about degree courses and what they offer you.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315631 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2013 - 7:55 PM

Quote: Unless, as has been said, you want to branch out into forensic/medical photography, e.g. taking photos of murder scenes or or close-ups of gory medical procedures (Wink) a degree in photography is likely to be of zero use to you... and you will never recover the cost

There is a whole lot more to uni than just a degree CB Smile

Quote: I can't believe the EPZ course has been even mentioned as a option instead of a degree.

Alice, just visit some uni's and see what they have to offer. Do not make a decision based on this forum. Talk to people who know about degree courses and what they offer you

Totally agree.

Carabosse
15 Apr 2013 - 8:09 PM

A degree course will cost many thousands. Is it really responsible advice to suggest someone should take a degree in photography which is likely to be completely worthless in terms of a career in photography?

If Alice wants to take a business degree or similar, that is another matter. But that is not what she has asked.

779HOB
779HOB  21034 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Apr 2013 - 8:36 PM

Would you sat that any degree in any subject that didn't lead to a job directly relating to that subject was pointless?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315631 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2013 - 9:01 PM

Quote: A degree course will cost many thousands. Is it really responsible advice to suggest someone should take a degree in photography which is likely to be completely worthless in terms of a career in photography?

It all depends CB, degrees can open more doors that would otherwise remain closed.

Carabosse
15 Apr 2013 - 9:46 PM

Quote: degrees can open more doors that would otherwise remain closed.

Depends on the degree. Smile

Quote: Would you sat that any degree in any subject that didn't lead to a job directly relating to that subject was pointless?

These days, when they hand out some degrees with the cornflakes......... increasingly so. Try getting a job with a degree in "social media". Wink

Employers are much more interested in vocational qualifications and - in my experience - some distrust degrees from 'uni' to the extent they set their own tests.

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2013 - 11:38 PM

Quote: degrees can open more doors that would otherwise remain closed.

Depends on the degree. Smile

Would you sat that any degree in any subject that didn't lead to a job directly relating to that subject was pointless?

These days, when they hand out some degrees with the cornflakes......... increasingly so. Try getting a job with a degree in "social media". Wink

Employers are much more interested in vocational qualifications and - in my experience - some distrust degrees from 'uni' to the extent they set their own tests.

"Location: London
Position: Marketing
Salary: 23000 - 26000, dependent upon experience

Date Posted: 26 March 2013
Vacancy Type: Permanent,
A very exciting permanent position has opened up for a Graduate Social Media Executive at eCommera - a retail ecommerce product and services business.

The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level, preferably in a social media or marketing discipline.
Reinforcing the values of the business is a vital part of this role.
We only concern ourselves with the facts - we challenge accepted wisdoms "

Carabosse
15 Apr 2013 - 11:45 PM

Should be said which academic institution you get your degree from, plays a part.

A good degree from Oxford or Cambridge (and possibly Durham) will open many more doors than the same degree from the University of the High Street (formerly High Street Polytechnic! Wink)

Paul Morgan
16 Apr 2013 - 12:04 AM

Quote: Should be said which academic institution you get your degree from, plays a part

Quote: A good degree from Oxford or Cambridge (and possibly Durham) will open many more doors than the same degree from the University of the High Street (formerly High Street Polytechnic! Wink)

Many of the best universities were once Polytechnics, it does not matter.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
16 Apr 2013 - 12:15 AM

Interesting view CB. Where I work we set the degree as the minimum entry requirement then do the tests on top to evaluate the candidates. It does not do to close the options, vocational training has its place, but then so does a university education. I can think of a time when I was a student where some Colleges were higher placed in the quality of their degree than traditional universities, as assessed by the professional bodies.

Last Modified By strawman at 16 Apr 2013 - 12:19 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.