Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Do i need a degree to do what i love?

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
16 Apr 2013 12:22AM
Have you got or had a son a university John.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
16 Apr 2013 12:44AM

Quote:Many of the best universities were once Polytechnics, it does not matter.

If you believe that, you have probably never done recruitment, Paul! Wink
779HOB 2 1.1k United Kingdom
16 Apr 2013 12:57AM
Carabosse. All colleges offering HE provision are doing so through uni's. Ours are offered in partnership with UoP and the OU. We have to meet the same academic standards as the Uni itself. We are monitored and assessed by the HE equivalent of Ofsted to the same standards as any UK Uni. The more I read that you write the more I get the feeling you really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to education.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2013 1:47AM

Quote: we set the degree as the minimum entry requirement then do the tests on top to evaluate the candidates
sounds about right
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
16 Apr 2013 1:49AM
Oh believe me I do know what I am talking about when it comes to relating theory to practice! That is to say, converting wishful thinking into reality.

Specifically, employer attitudes towards "qualifications" .... I use the inverted commas deliberately. Degrees in 'soft' subjects usually go down like a lead balloon.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
16 Apr 2013 6:04AM
With current trends in career longevity, it doesn't make much sense to put all your eggs in one basket. The average person entering the workforce today may have on average 3 separate careers, probably unrelated to each other. Uni sounds good to me, but studying something that will provide a backup. From what I see, many pro photographers are struggling today, and any advantage you can get over others is bound to help. I've read a number of biographies of pro photographers, and I can't ever remember any of them studying photography in uni. Most studied engineering, biology, business, etc., then developed a career in photography with the background obtained in their studies.

I posted this before on here; several years ago I read that a survey had been done asking photographers what they considered would be the ideal photography job; guess what was the number one by a long stretch answer; The Walmart photographer!!! A few dissallusioned photographers there I'd say.Tongue
16 Apr 2013 8:38AM
We have also lost sight in this country of the importance of learning for learnings sake. Why shouldn't someone study a subject like history because they are simply interested in it. I have people in my team with degrees in fine art, history, law, teaching, English Lit, engineering, micro biology...... they all bring something different to the table, different ways of thinking and looking at problems and finding solutions. Not one of those degrees relates directly to their role within the team.
collywobles 10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2013 8:48AM

Quote: Is it really responsible advice to suggest someone should take a degree in photography which is likely to be completely worthless in terms of a career in photography?

I don't think anyone has suggested a degree in Photography, all the advice has been to get a good degree in Business Studies or Economics etc, which will help her in whatever business she decides to follow.

The trouble with Photography is that it is one of those subjects which a lot of people are good at as a hobby, some photographic hobbyists are incredibly good as many images on this site can prove. A bit like being good at motor mechanics, or painting its something that thousands of people are good at and to create a profitable business is difficult because there are so many other people who are good at it. My advice would be, go get a good quality degree, get a job in a well paid industry and enjoy your photography as a pastime even earning a few quid in the process.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
16 Apr 2013 8:54AM
We're missing the point here. Self employed photographers would be as well getting some business education - a degree is maybe a bit too much but a photographic degree may well be needed for certain areas of the industry which is much larger than being a wedding photographer.
16 Apr 2013 9:11AM

Quote:My advice would be, go get a good quality degree, get a job in a well paid industry and enjoy your photography as a pastime even earning a few quid in the process.

And never, repeat never, follow a dream. Just become a slave to the system and a number on a payroll.

I agree with Keith - a business degree isn't needed to run a small business. There are plenty of low level courses that offer what you need to know to run a small business or be self employed. I could argue that you don't need any formal business qualification to run a successful business. My best friend started selling cars - one at a time - while he was working a full time job - his business is now the biggest independent car retailer in the South West selling 250 to 300 cars a month, even in this hard times. His training is as an electrician.
collywobles 10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2013 10:56AM

Quote:And never, repeat never, follow a dream. Just become a slave to the system and a number on a payroll.

Focused you are so negative........... working for a large International company has done me and mine outstandingly well. I live in luxurious retirement thanks to all the opportunities I had and the inflation proof pension I now enjoy..... all from "Just for becoming a slave to the system" Cant all be bad!

Yours Faithfully

0055351 (my payroll number) (8o)
16 Apr 2013 12:05PM
I too work for a large organisation with a final salary pension and I am sure I could make more money here and rise through the ranks - I am a head of service and the jobs easy. But it's boring, dull and uninspiring - I want more. I have another 20 years before I retire and the thought of being a number for that amount of time is like a life sentence.

I'm not negative. I just want more.
RobboB e2
8 88 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2013 1:32PM
I would not recommend doing a business degree unless you are genuinely interested in the subject beyond learning the ropes of running your own business. Otherwise you might end up learning a bunch of stuff you are not interested in.

Some places offer modular degrees so might be able to combine photography with some aspects of business and other stuff too. In short only study for a degree if you are genuinely interested in the subject matter. You don't NEED it for a career in photography although as others have said it could help you

Also do think about where you would study if you want to be employed. Like it or not and regardless of the quality of the curriculum and teaching, the brand of the institution counts for a lot. There are some really good former polys and we all know about the top notch universities. There are also institutions where your CV will be at a disadvantage because of where you have studied.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2013 1:51PM
Many people i worked with in technical fields had a technical degree and it was very useful, in other areas a good degree seem to elevate the potential of the person - a bad degree is 3 years of partying and debt with no confidence to succeed at the end of it.

If all you ever want to do is a photography business then stay true to the route with the most chances and keep looking for relevant related experience at all times. Always give yourself the best chance.

But remember for many of us what we want and enjoy change over time and sometimes we stop enjoying what we have to do and then look for hobbies for what we want to do. I've been a amateur photographer, mechanic, student, apprentice, factory worker, student, engineer, programmer, consultant, systems integrator and a manager. and am now looking for a part time photography side.

You may love photography but do you love the business of photography? Will Photography be around in 40 years to allow you just one career?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.