Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do I need to use my lens hood for a club shoot?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

boyspace
boyspace  3
31 Mar 2011 - 10:48 AM

Hi I am doing a club shoot over the wk end and wondered if I needed to use the lens hood on my camera? I have never used one befors so im a little unsure? The event will be in a dark room but with lots of moving lights bouncing around...I will also , at times use the external flash though not all the time i hope as i want some of the ambiance of the night...Any suggestions ? thanks Nick

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Mar 2011 - 10:48 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles
31 Mar 2011 - 10:53 AM

Always use the lens hood - its keeps out stray light and has a protective function for the lens. Lens Hoods are cheaper than a new lens..........!

Colin

PS: Welcome to EPZ.

Last Modified By collywobles at 31 Mar 2011 - 10:53 AM
boyspace
boyspace  3
31 Mar 2011 - 10:57 AM

Cheers Colin thanks..Its just i also heard they can interfere with the flash when using that? Is this the case?

User_Removed
31 Mar 2011 - 12:03 PM

Agree with Colin 100%.

As for interfering with the flash..??? I don't see how!

And a further PS - Welcome to EPZ!! Grin

Last Modified By User_Removed at 31 Mar 2011 - 12:04 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2011 - 12:17 PM

the lens hood only gets in the way if you're using the camera's pop up built in flash as it can mask off some of the flash coverage area, resulting in an arc shaped shadow at the bottom centre of your photo.

Last Modified By Pete at 31 Mar 2011 - 12:17 PM
boyspace
boyspace  3
31 Mar 2011 - 12:19 PM

Oh ok thanks Pete.. Im gonna take my external flash so i guess it should be ok..Its a new camera and new lens so I guess I need to get used to the hood...Thanks Nick

Hugo
Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Mar 2011 - 12:25 PM

It will have far more value in helping physically protect the front of the lens should some merry person push you towards a wall/pillar etc....

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2011 - 12:31 PM

Quote: It will have far more value in helping physically protect the front of the lens should some merry person push you towards a wall/pillar etc....

Also, depending on venue/artist - spit/sweat/beer/tins/glasses/missiles/bodies/knickers falling down on you Wink

Last Modified By Pete at 31 Mar 2011 - 12:33 PM
whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2011 - 2:37 PM

Blimey Pete, Knickers, what sort of clubs do you hang about in Grin

boyspace
boyspace  3
31 Mar 2011 - 3:27 PM

Well! As much as im not ruling out any of thoes things being present, I am hoping to avoid them! There may be a lot of people but its more of an arty event so im hoping it will be low on the SWEAT SPIT ETC haha... But thanks for the heads up Pete I will keep a close look out! Nick

collywobles
31 Mar 2011 - 3:27 PM

Quote: Cheers Colin thanks..Its just i also heard they can interfere with the flash when using that? Is this the case?

OK, yes sometimes a lens hood can interfere with the flash that is inbuilt into the camera. The reason for this is that if its a large lens hood it could impinge on the flash area and therefore cause a shadow. If you use external flash guns they tend to be well out reach of the hood so will not give you any problems. Colin

PS: Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooops --- Sorry Pete did not spot that you had already answered the Q.

Last Modified By collywobles at 31 Mar 2011 - 3:28 PM
adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73298 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2011 - 4:37 PM

Quote: Blimey Pete, Knickers, what sort of clubs do you hang about in Grin

And there was me thinking he was going to his local Camera Club!!

Sigh, how naive.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2011 - 4:54 PM

Makes you wonder what they really get up to at EPZ towers.

Grampy
Grampy  4507 forum posts England71 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2011 - 4:54 PM

I'll now shock you all , I never use one ,I see no reason if you have a super clean lens . In fact that's the only use for it in my opinion, stopping anyone touching the lens by accident.
Phill

ckristoff
ckristoff  9938 forum posts Wales
1 Apr 2011 - 12:02 AM

Hi Grampy,

I understand what you're saying - I don't always use a lens hood, because I'm a lazy boyo!Smile

Correct me if I'm wrong, I read somewhere that using a lens hood could also improve image quality? It makes sense to me.

Frank.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.