Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Do I need to use my lens hood for a club shoot?

boyspace 3 24
31 Mar 2011 10:48AM
Hi I am doing a club shoot over the wk end and wondered if I needed to use the lens hood on my camera? I have never used one befors so im a little unsure? The event will be in a dark room but with lots of moving lights bouncing around...I will also , at times use the external flash though not all the time i hope as i want some of the ambiance of the night...Any suggestions ? thanks Nick

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles e2
10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2011 10:53AM
Always use the lens hood - its keeps out stray light and has a protective function for the lens. Lens Hoods are cheaper than a new lens..........!

Colin

PS: Welcome to EPZ.
boyspace 3 24
31 Mar 2011 10:57AM
Cheers Colin thanks..Its just i also heard they can interfere with the flash when using that? Is this the case?
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
31 Mar 2011 12:03PM
Agree with Colin 100%.

As for interfering with the flash..??? I don't see how!

And a further PS - Welcome to EPZ!! Grin
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
31 Mar 2011 12:17PM
the lens hood only gets in the way if you're using the camera's pop up built in flash as it can mask off some of the flash coverage area, resulting in an arc shaped shadow at the bottom centre of your photo.
boyspace 3 24
31 Mar 2011 12:19PM
Oh ok thanks Pete.. Im gonna take my external flash so i guess it should be ok..Its a new camera and new lens so I guess I need to get used to the hood...Thanks Nick
Hugo e2
9 647 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2011 12:25PM
It will have far more value in helping physically protect the front of the lens should some merry person push you towards a wall/pillar etc....
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
31 Mar 2011 12:31PM

Quote:It will have far more value in helping physically protect the front of the lens should some merry person push you towards a wall/pillar etc....

Also, depending on venue/artist - spit/sweat/beer/tins/glasses/missiles/bodies/knickers falling down on you Wink
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2011 2:37PM
Blimey Pete, Knickers, what sort of clubs do you hang about in Grin
boyspace 3 24
31 Mar 2011 3:27PM
Well! As much as im not ruling out any of thoes things being present, I am hoping to avoid them! There may be a lot of people but its more of an arty event so im hoping it will be low on the SWEAT SPIT ETC haha... But thanks for the heads up Pete I will keep a close look out! Nick
collywobles e2
10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2011 3:27PM

Quote:Cheers Colin thanks..Its just i also heard they can interfere with the flash when using that? Is this the case?

OK, yes sometimes a lens hood can interfere with the flash that is inbuilt into the camera. The reason for this is that if its a large lens hood it could impinge on the flash area and therefore cause a shadow. If you use external flash guns they tend to be well out reach of the hood so will not give you any problems. Colin

PS: Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooops --- Sorry Pete did not spot that you had already answered the Q.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
31 Mar 2011 4:37PM

Quote:Blimey Pete, Knickers, what sort of clubs do you hang about in Grin

And there was me thinking he was going to his local Camera Club!!

Sigh, how naive.
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2011 4:54PM
Makes you wonder what they really get up to at EPZ towers.
Grampy e2
5 507 71 England
31 Mar 2011 4:54PM
I'll now shock you all , I never use one ,I see no reason if you have a super clean lens . In fact that's the only use for it in my opinion, stopping anyone touching the lens by accident.
Phill
ckristoff e2
10 959 Wales
1 Apr 2011 12:02AM
Hi Grampy,

I understand what you're saying - I don't always use a lens hood, because I'm a lazy boyo!Smile

Correct me if I'm wrong, I read somewhere that using a lens hood could also improve image quality? It makes sense to me.

Frank.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.