Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do I really need to replace my D70?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

eggman
eggman  977 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Jan 2010 - 11:42 AM

I've had a D70 for about 5 years and was thinking of replacing it for something newer. If I was to buy a D3000 or D5000 would I be getting a camera that took better pictures or one that just had nice to have features.

Another option is to keep the D70 and purchase a Sigma 10-20mm lens instead.

I have a "special" birthday coming up so I might not be able to justify spending a lot of money on a camera in the few years so I'm thinking that maybe the time is now to change.

An advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jan 2010 - 11:42 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chrism
chrism  10118 forum posts England
19 Jan 2010 - 11:59 AM

I still use a D1x for a lot of the stuff I do. It does the job to the quality I need at the moment so there's no need to change it.I'd rather have more lenses and filters rather than a new cmera.

colmar
colmar  742 forum posts Scotland35 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2010 - 12:00 PM

I recently purchased a d5000 and have not been disappointed with it , the batch I got mine from was subject to a manafacturing fault and was sorted out very quickly by Nikon UK, however I now use it as a back up as I also managed to get the d90, if your budget allows then I would advise the d90, an all round better camera and allows the use of all bar two of the lenses . having said that the 5000 does full frame and I have been happy with the results, the swivel screen is handy and the prices for the kit are very competitive. Colin

User_Removed
19 Jan 2010 - 12:25 PM

There is a very obvious piece of "wisdom" that most of us choose to ignore when it comes to cameras (or computers). That is:

The camera (or computer) that you bought 10 years ago will still do all the things it could do when you bought it 10 years ago.

I only had my D80 for a year before I felt "compelled" to upgrade it for a D300 which really made very little common sense although, fortunately, having bought my D80 from Hong Kong, I didn't lose any money when I sold it a year later on Ebay.

I guess that some of us (most of us?) just like to have the best and latest we can afford.

But in the case you quote, I would doubt the wisdom of coming down a grade from D70 to D5000. Either upgrade at the same grade, to D90, or go up a grade to D300s

If cost is an issue, maybe hold on to the D70 for a while longer until you can afford to upgrade rather than downgrade.

But hey! They will all take photos.

Eric

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
19 Jan 2010 - 12:50 PM

In this case go with the lens, it will open up a whole new possibilities in the type of shots you can go for, the camera body will give some more pixels (which you probably don't need) and a bit better high ISO performance, but you still wont be able to go as wide as you want to.

StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91031 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2010 - 12:51 PM

Quote: having said that the 5000 does full frame

Are you sure about this Colin?

The D70 is still capable of taking fantastic pics and if I had to choose between a newer 'entry level' cam and the Siggy, I would go for the latter every time. Sooner or later you will outgrow the camera you are using (whatever it may be), but I would say that the D3000/5000 offer little in real upgrades over the D70 (unless there is something they have that you are specifically after.

Last Modified By StuartAt at 19 Jan 2010 - 12:53 PM
SamLS
SamLS  8232 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Jan 2010 - 1:10 PM

imho no question.

Keep the D70 and spend your money on a decent lens.

Sam

miked70
miked70  5225 forum posts South Africa3 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2010 - 1:28 PM

have a look around on sites and there are still a few who use the 70 i will keep mine no value second hand and can still take great shot it never let me down ever so why get rid of it spend on good glass f2.8 or better when you need to do larger than a4 maybe,get a 50 f1.8 and see if it does not work for you i now have a d300 i do portrait and wedding the 70 is backup.

Clactonian
Clactonian e2 Member 887 forum postsClactonian vcard United Kingdom
19 Jan 2010 - 1:28 PM

I have to go with the 'keep the D70' argument. I bought mine not long after they came out and still have and use it regularly, despite also owning a D2Xs.
Invest in good lenses and you have equipment capable of stunning images.

MikeH
MikeH  9217 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2010 - 1:53 PM

I have had a D70 for five years and still use it. Over the years I have invested in quality lenses for the D70 and they have served me well.
I am just at the stage where I feel I need to upgrade as there are additional features I need which the D70 is lacking.
On the basis that I have had the D70 for 5 years my next camera will serve at least as long so I want to upgrade massively as far as funds will allow. My current saving is going towards a D700 and an upgrade on my computer to handle the larger file sizes it will generate.
Mike

colmar
colmar  742 forum posts Scotland35 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2010 - 2:45 PM

having said that the 5000 does full frame
Are you sure about this Colin?

No ..... It was "sold" to me that way by local camera shop when I mentioned what I was looking for.... Still not disappointed in any way with it but the d90 is now never out my hands when out and about Smile

Colin

riprap007
riprap007  91568 forum posts England37 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2010 - 3:34 PM

'Do I really need to replace my D70?'
No.
As you already have fairly wide angle lens too (in the 18 - 50) then a 10-20 would be OK, but you probably don't need that either (you can buy mine if you want to!)

andy_AHG
andy_AHG  5106 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2010 - 3:42 PM

I guess you need to ask yourself if you are unhappy with the results of the D70? The Sigma 10-20mm is a great lens, particularly for landscape and will make far more difference to your photography as a whole than a new camera.

If you feel that your D70 is holding your photography back in anyway, then buy a camera that is a good leap ahead of where you are now. However, don't fall into the trap that I have seen so many people fall into. Spending silly money on 'the best' camera gear when much less expensive options would have sufficed. It's your eye and good lenses that make good images.

Andy

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2010 - 4:24 PM

Unless you upgrade to a D200 or D300 or D300s or better then I'd buy a new lens....I can't see the point in upgrading to a D3000 or D5000....I wouldn't consider that an upgrade.

Nickscape
Nickscape  8693 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2010 - 4:57 PM

If you want to upgrade from a D70 and stay with nikon, you really need to go for the D300 as that is the only real 'upgrade' from your camera. The D90 is just the latest model of your current camera and really wont make much difference to your photography, it will be better but for the money i see no point.

Id go for the sigma, it will open your world to opportunities once you get used the completely different perspective.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.