Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do photographers with more money take better photographs?!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
Andrew_Hurley

This is, hopefully, a forum that will get some interesting and thought provoking answers.

I often see amazing photographs taken in The Far East, Nepal, on African Safaris and various exotic places on the otherside of the World. The people who go on these fairly expensive holidays obviously have good jobs, they work hard and reward themselves accordingly (which I have no objection to).

When they then enter their holiday "Snaps" into competitions, surely they have a huge advantage over photographers on "ordinary" incomes as they can afford to travel to more exotic places.

I mean how can a good picture of "The Great Wall of China" compete with your humble picture of "The Great Wall of Chipping Norton!"

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Aug 2008 - 1:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Geoffphoto
6 Aug 2008 - 1:37 PM

I really like Chipping Norton - I'd much rather spend time in Gloucestershire and the Cotswolds than in China ( the food is better for a start ! ), It all depends on the skill of the photographer really !!

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 6 Aug 2008 - 1:38 PM
mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2008 - 1:37 PM

I understand what you are saying, but a great photographer can take a winning image without leaving the house.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139368 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2008 - 1:39 PM

What is a "better" photograph?

Quote: but a great photographer can take a winning image without leaving the house.

Totally agree.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2008 - 1:43 PM

Quote: but a great photographer can take a winning image without leaving the house

For example, Just from the EC gallery:

here

here

and here

Last Modified By mattw at 6 Aug 2008 - 1:43 PM
rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2008 - 1:47 PM

Well I couldn't afford a holiday to South Africa, but I did get sent there for 6 months to work, and yes I took advantage of it photographically (well as much as I could anyway), but it was a very lucky opportunity, maybe others are equally lucky...

Anyway, for the next year or two I'll just have to perfect my photos at home Wink

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014560 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2008 - 1:49 PM

going somewhere unusual to take photos would be nice and a good shot from those locations can be very different to the norm and hold your attention

so yes, to that extent, they have an "advantage"

but you can get a fantastic shot in your kitchen that would win any competition, if you put your mind to it.

Then again, if it's a competition to get the best shot of the great wall of china, then yes - rich people have an advantage!

Geoffphoto
6 Aug 2008 - 1:51 PM

Quote: Going somewhere unusual to take photos would be nice and a good shot from those locations can be very different to the norm and hold your attention

Like somebody going to say, Leeds for instance !! Smile

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 6 Aug 2008 - 1:52 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014560 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2008 - 1:58 PM

Never heard it called "unusual" before, but I guess it's a change from Lindesfarne with a boat in front of it, or some lobsterpots Wink

Geoffphoto
6 Aug 2008 - 2:00 PM

LOL Ade Smile - but it is for us down here in deepest darkest Cornwall - some more pics of bl**dy St MIchaels Mount or Lands End at sunset, anybody ??

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 6 Aug 2008 - 2:01 PM
keith selmes
6 Aug 2008 - 2:04 PM

If you're taking photos of exotic Chipping Norton, try them in competitions in China, where China is just ordinary ?

User_Removed
6 Aug 2008 - 2:30 PM

A photo of an 'exotic' location can have novelty value and gain attention as a result (nothing wrong with that particularly), but a photographer who knows their own patch can often produce something different and has to work at going beyond the obvious.

Brett

bangalicious
6 Aug 2008 - 2:31 PM

Most people moan about the wheather of the UK, whether it is pouring with the wet stuff or 30 degress with lots of sun. I love the UK weather. The seasons present so many different photographic opportunities that i would rather stay in the UK then travel thousands of miles away and spend alot of money to get to the sun/snow etc. The same shot, in my particular genre, could be had in the UK as in India for example.

In my somewhat amateur stage of my photography, i am still learning the wonders of my hobby. I feel that there is always a photographic opportunity available, regardless of the situation you are in and the surroundings. I suppose that i am lucky in that where i live and grew up as i have been presented with country side, which has swayed me in the direction of landscape photography. I beleive that a "good photo" doesnt exist. Everyone has differnt views and sees the world through different perspectives. It would be nice to travel to tropical countries and experience the photography in these countries, but the same shot, like mentioned above can be achieved here in the UK.

Anil.

cameracat
cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2008 - 4:56 PM

Another point is the brief on the competition........!

If it's for a great exotic location you might have a hard time with Clacton pier against Niagra falls........!

So you need to look at the brief, And decide if you can find something to fit....Irrespective of location.....!

Do photographers with more money take better pictures......?

NO......I have seen total crap taken with thousands of pounds worth of kit...!

& Fantastic images taken on compacts.........Smile

Last Modified By cameracat at 6 Aug 2008 - 4:59 PM
TheViking
TheViking  6115 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Aug 2008 - 5:15 PM

I have no money at all which is why my pictures are rubbish! ...

Seriously ... In the past five years I have traveled to Thailand, Fiji twice, New zealand, Australia, the USA four times, Chipping Norton, Germany, Sweden and Egypt ... every time I have taken disposable cameras and occasionally a compact ... most of the time I hardly bothered to take any pictures ...
Simply being in exotic locations is no measure of quality or even inspiration.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.