Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Do photographers with more money take better photographs?!

Andrew_Hurley 8 71 73 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2008 1:34PM
This is, hopefully, a forum that will get some interesting and thought provoking answers.

I often see amazing photographs taken in The Far East, Nepal, on African Safaris and various exotic places on the otherside of the World. The people who go on these fairly expensive holidays obviously have good jobs, they work hard and reward themselves accordingly (which I have no objection to).

When they then enter their holiday "Snaps" into competitions, surely they have a huge advantage over photographers on "ordinary" incomes as they can afford to travel to more exotic places.

I mean how can a good picture of "The Great Wall of China" compete with your humble picture of "The Great Wall of Chipping Norton!"

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Geoffphoto 8 13.5k United Kingdom
6 Aug 2008 1:37PM
I really like Chipping Norton - I'd much rather spend time in Gloucestershire and the Cotswolds than in China ( the food is better for a start ! ), It all depends on the skill of the photographer really !!
mattw 11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2008 1:37PM
I understand what you are saying, but a great photographer can take a winning image without leaving the house.
Carabosse Plus
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Aug 2008 1:39PM
What is a "better" photograph?

Quote:but a great photographer can take a winning image without leaving the house.

Totally agree.
mattw 11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2008 1:43PM

Quote:but a great photographer can take a winning image without leaving the house

For example, Just from the EC gallery:

here

here

and here
rowarrior 7 4.4k 9 Scotland
6 Aug 2008 1:47PM
Well I couldn't afford a holiday to South Africa, but I did get sent there for 6 months to work, and yes I took advantage of it photographically (well as much as I could anyway), but it was a very lucky opportunity, maybe others are equally lucky...

Anyway, for the next year or two I'll just have to perfect my photos at home Wink
ade_mcfade Plus
10 15.1k 216 England
6 Aug 2008 1:49PM
going somewhere unusual to take photos would be nice and a good shot from those locations can be very different to the norm and hold your attention

so yes, to that extent, they have an "advantage"

but you can get a fantastic shot in your kitchen that would win any competition, if you put your mind to it.

Then again, if it's a competition to get the best shot of the great wall of china, then yes - rich people have an advantage!
6 Aug 2008 1:51PM

Quote:Going somewhere unusual to take photos would be nice and a good shot from those locations can be very different to the norm and hold your attention

Like somebody going to say, Leeds for instance !! Smile
ade_mcfade Plus
10 15.1k 216 England
6 Aug 2008 1:58PM
Never heard it called "unusual" before, but I guess it's a change from Lindesfarne with a boat in front of it, or some lobsterpots Wink
6 Aug 2008 2:00PM
LOL Ade Smile - but it is for us down here in deepest darkest Cornwall - some more pics of bl**dy St MIchaels Mount or Lands End at sunset, anybody ??
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2008 2:04PM
If you're taking photos of exotic Chipping Norton, try them in competitions in China, where China is just ordinary ?
User_Removed 11 455 13 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2008 2:30PM
A photo of an 'exotic' location can have novelty value and gain attention as a result (nothing wrong with that particularly), but a photographer who knows their own patch can often produce something different and has to work at going beyond the obvious.

Brett
bangalicious 7 1.3k 5 England
6 Aug 2008 2:31PM
Most people moan about the wheather of the UK, whether it is pouring with the wet stuff or 30 degress with lots of sun. I love the UK weather. The seasons present so many different photographic opportunities that i would rather stay in the UK then travel thousands of miles away and spend alot of money to get to the sun/snow etc. The same shot, in my particular genre, could be had in the UK as in India for example.

In my somewhat amateur stage of my photography, i am still learning the wonders of my hobby. I feel that there is always a photographic opportunity available, regardless of the situation you are in and the surroundings. I suppose that i am lucky in that where i live and grew up as i have been presented with country side, which has swayed me in the direction of landscape photography. I beleive that a "good photo" doesnt exist. Everyone has differnt views and sees the world through different perspectives. It would be nice to travel to tropical countries and experience the photography in these countries, but the same shot, like mentioned above can be achieved here in the UK.

Anil.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
6 Aug 2008 4:56PM
Another point is the brief on the competition........!

If it's for a great exotic location you might have a hard time with Clacton pier against Niagra falls........!

So you need to look at the brief, And decide if you can find something to fit....Irrespective of location.....!

Do photographers with more money take better pictures......?

NO......I have seen total crap taken with thousands of pounds worth of kit...!

& Fantastic images taken on compacts.........Smile
TheViking 7 115 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2008 5:15PM
I have no money at all which is why my pictures are rubbish! ...

Seriously ... In the past five years I have traveled to Thailand, Fiji twice, New zealand, Australia, the USA four times, Chipping Norton, Germany, Sweden and Egypt ... every time I have taken disposable cameras and occasionally a compact ... most of the time I hardly bothered to take any pictures ...
Simply being in exotic locations is no measure of quality or even inspiration.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.