Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do todays digital cameras have too many features?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Unfortunately this topic has gone into terminal decline and is serving no useful purpose.
Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122074 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2013 - 1:51 PM

The Canon FX from 1964 had a built-in light-meter. People complained that they didn't need that sort of complication. Thus was born the Canon FP, sans gimmicks, my first SLR which I still have and which still works, albeit with a Weston Master V to read the light. If we complain, will they provide us with a stripped down version of whatever all-singing wonderbox. Probably not.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 May 2013 - 1:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7664 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2013 - 2:33 PM

As someone has already said, a lot of the functionality in modern cameras is in software - some of it a bit gimmicky [all the filter effects for instance are something I wouldn't use in camera] some of it very useful.

The more hardware oriented features can also add very little to the expense as circuitry for such features gets ever cheaper. WiFi for instance which is starting to appear in cameras at all levels. Remote or studio based shooting using an iPad is something I would find to be very handy.

As with anything very advanced these days a very broad set of features are built in that virtually no-one will use all of. The point is, from the manufacturer's point of view, any of these features may help to shift extra units and make their equipment more versatile and therefore appealing to a broader base of consumer/professional.

If any of these things are getting in the way of the core function, that's possibly more a failure of ergonomic design than the features themselves.

It's perhaps an irony that the larger/more professionally targeted cameras that have more room for buttons and dials have less of the fripperies of cheaper, mass market models.

franken
franken e2 Member 112924 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2013 - 2:40 PM

All my digital cameras have the ability to shoot movies and there's also an abundance of filters. I've never used either to be honest.

Having worked with film for several decades I continue to shoot mostly in aperture priority and simply ignore all of the gimmicks.

Ken

weseeyou
weseeyou  3112 forum posts
31 May 2013 - 2:52 PM

yep same here Ken ....Aperture priority mode .....perfect for birds and wildlife Wink

I cannot understand why my youtube videos on the Fuji HS50 attracted so many enquiries about the video feature ? Finally in exasperation I told them if you want a video camera then buy a bluddy camcorder ?Smile

Last Modified By weseeyou at 31 May 2013 - 2:53 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214403 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2013 - 2:58 PM

Quote: In my experience, i've recently been using a fujifilm x100 and it has made me feel that digital cameras have gotten far to complicated and feature-creep. However, the x100 is much more stripped back. I particularly like the analog adjustments for aperture and shutter. Much nicer then going through menus and staring at a screen.

One of the reasons I got an x10, I couldn`t afford an x100 at the time, it has`ny quite got all the same manual nobs and dials but a least it has a good manual zoom Smile

I can remember the time a question got asked in these forums, should Canon get a dust shaker and live view, at the time most Canon/Nikon users called these gimmicks.

weseeyou
31 May 2013 - 3:08 PM

x100 eh ! Wink luverly

talking about redundant technology , last year I upgraded our cellfones to the highly acclaimed Galaxy S3 cellfones .They have everything including excellent 10Mp cameras etc

For the past 6x months the two fones have sat unused on the window sill as we continue to use our old Nokia 5800 cellfones.

With a 18 month contract that means we have wasted over 1000 ! on two rubbish fones that couldn't pick up a signal if you were standing under a mast.

We will not be upgrading again . We just want a bluddy cellfone that can pick up a signal and you can make a call from without driving out of the village and standing on a hilltop

redsnappa
redsnappa  111881 forum posts United Kingdom
31 May 2013 - 4:57 PM

There is definitely features on my EOS 600D that I will not use like the Green Square auto settings as I know what apertures and shutter speeds are, the black and white mode as there are better wars to obtain mono images, the custom picture modes as I know how to use lightroom.

These added and extra features do not however annoy me as I know that Canon have done their market research and from analysing the results of that research the realise that it is not just knowledgeable enthusiast that buy their DSLR cameras so Canon have include feature that assist most levels of photographer assist to create a half decent photograph.

Alexday1978
31 May 2013 - 5:28 PM

There is no such thing as too many features on a camera and provided the more niche ones are in menus not on big buttons, not using them causes no problem. Canon for one seem to do a good job of making sure the most useful features are readily available on buttons.

Different photographers use different functions and the custom DSLR market is not in existence to my knowledge. Until it is camera manufacturers will continue packing in the features to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

If you don't like em, don't use em!!

weseeyou
31 May 2013 - 5:59 PM

Quote: There is no such thing as too many features on a camera and provided the more niche ones are in menus not on big buttons, not using them causes no problem. Canon for one seem to do a good job of making sure the most useful features are readily available on buttons.

Different photographers use different functions and the custom DSLR market is not in existence to my knowledge. Until it is camera manufacturers will continue packing in the features to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

If you don't like em, don't use em!!

and there endeth the first lesson !and the thread probably Grin

redsnappa
31 May 2013 - 6:26 PM

There are many elderly people on this site who are still in this day and age confused buy the concept of a gadget that performs more than one task for example:
Quote: If I wanted to do movies I wouuld buy a dedicated cam corder

&
Quote: Mobile phones for example, Just how much junk do you need to make a simple phone call

It's the way of the modern world it cost very little to add new features, so much so that new camera models are often cheaper than the old model they replaced.

I hardly use the video mode on my current camera but I've taught myself how it works to cover myself for one to those 'I wish I had a video camera with me moments.'

To answer the OP's question the articulated screen was a deal clincher when choosing my eos 600d.

weseeyou
31 May 2013 - 6:58 PM

Quote: There are many elderly people on this site who are still in this day and age confused buy the concept of a gadget that performs more than one task for example:

congratulations ! you have not only managed to discriminate against senior citizens but also to belittle the mental faculties of all members over retirement age ...SmileSmileSmile

and this from someone who is unable to spell the word 'by' or presumably use a spell checkerWink

llareggub
llareggub  3639 forum posts United Kingdom
31 May 2013 - 7:18 PM

There is a simple rule, most folk work with the mindset of "if I don't use it, it is not worth having", completely ignoring other people have the same kit and use it in completely different ways.

Quite simply buy the kit that does what you want it to do and leave the rest of the bumph alone and most of all stop bloody whinging Wink

kodachrome
31 May 2013 - 7:26 PM

Its easy for subjects to turn into whinges, but the original question was in my view a good question and there have been some good answers. I have read the same question and similar answers on other forums so its not a unique question by any means. We are not the only forum in photography discussing this subject.

redsnappa
31 May 2013 - 7:28 PM

I cannot spell correctly as I have dyslexia. Why are you discriminating against people with disabilities like myself.

llareggub
llareggub  3639 forum posts United Kingdom
31 May 2013 - 8:09 PM

Quote: Its easy for subjects to turn into whinges, but the original question was in my view a good question and there have been some good answers. I have read the same question and similar answers on other forums so its not a unique question by any means. We are not the only forum in photography discussing this subject.

I agree whole-heartedly, but the "whinge" thing is definitely worth mentioning Wink

How about proposing a furthering of the question? List the functions of your camera you do not use.

For me:

Green Box Mode
Pop Up Flash
Custom modes on the dial
High ISO noise reduction
Exposure Safety Shift
Long Exposure Noise Reduction
Highlight Tone Priority
Auto Lighting Optimiser

That is about all I can think of off the top of my head for me but I am sure lots of people do find a use for many of thes functions and they do not get in the way of me using my camera.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Unfortunately this topic has gone into terminal decline and is serving no useful purpose.