Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Do todays digital cameras have too many features?

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : Unfortunately this topic has gone into terminal decline and is serving no useful purpose.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
31 May 2013 9:04PM
Modes I have not used, Program and shutter Priority, I Auto, and the red record button, only because Its now programmed for something else.

And the Live bulb feature, I`ve only tinkered with this so far.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rhol2 e2
3 320 1 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2013 9:26AM

Quote:There are many elderly people on this site who are still in this day and age confused buy the concept of a gadget that performs more than one task for example: If I wanted to do movies I wouuld buy a dedicated cam corder & Mobile phones for example, Just how much junk do you need to make a simple phone call

It's the way of the modern world it cost very little to add new features, so much so that new camera models are often cheaper than the old model they replaced.

How patronising can you get?

With reference to your examples, the OLD saying about
"Jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind!Wink
weseeyou 3 112
1 Jun 2013 9:50AM

Quote:I cannot spell correctly as I have dyslexia. Why are you discriminating against people with disabilities like myself.

Being unable to spell is hardly a disability besides if you have learning difficulties yourself I'm surprised that you would choose to make such a disparaging remark about the cognitive acuity of senior citizens , which by the way was discriminatory.

That said, I am sure that it wasn't your intention to insult senior citizens such as myself and to be fair, my remark was made tongue-in-cheek. Wink
Nigeve1 e2
1 918 95 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2013 10:56AM
Yes and no on this one.

Depends on the overall design of your camera; I have a D7000 and I find that I use all the functions that are easily avaiable using buttons and control dials on the body. I do not use all the menu functions, but I do use some of them and it is nice to have them there as options as my experience increases. I have trieda D3100 and some vital functions had to be accessed via menus which was cumbersome. So it depends on design; if vital regularly used functions are hidden by a mass of other functions, the answer will be yes. If the camera is well designed and these are readily accessible, then no.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
1 Jun 2013 11:02AM
If the Canon 40D had a bigger sensor I'd stick with that. Just an all round excellent camera with no fiddly bits.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
1 Jun 2013 11:11AM

Quote:Being unable to spell is hardly a disability

No, but dyslexia is, itīs a learning disability, and being unable to spell correctly is a consequence and symptom of that disability.

Quote:I'm surprised that you would choose to make such a disparaging remark about the cognitive acuity of senior citizens

Strange, thatīs not how I saw it. True, redsnappa wasnīt being politically correct when he made his comment about senior citizens, but then I think it's a contradiction in terms - political correctness is quite incorrect, really... If it keeps you from stating a fact, maybe we shouldn't be politically correct. I know that I personally am against it, I'm all for candour instead (without being insulting, and I don't think he was being insulting).

What he said, is probably true - I know that many people are overwhelmed when they have to use equipment that does so much more than they need, and I know from experience that this is especially true for many older people - not all of them, but certainly a lot of them. Hence the idea of some mobile phone manufacturers, for instance, to make simple models, especially with the senior citizen market in mind. Is that a disparaging remark? No, I don't think so. It's perfectly logical that one can get overwhelmed when having to use a lot of new things, especially when these new things offer a myriad of functions and you have to find your way among them. Even I feel like that sometimes. I'd rather find a simple little software program that does exactly that one task I want it to do, then having to find that same function in a huge program with dozens of options hidden in different menus.

Let's not take people's statements the wrong way, redsnappa was trying to make a point by explaining some people can feel overwhelmed by modern-day technological equipment, and he didn't spell it correctly because of a recognised learning disability. Shall we leave it at that?
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
1 Jun 2013 11:27AM

Quote:I know that many people are overwhelmed when they have to use equipment that does so much more than they need, and I know from experience that this is especially true for many older people - not all of them, but certainly a lot of them.

I know from experience that this is true, having tried to assist some older members of my family. It's not a disparaging remark, or a comment on the mental acuity of the person or persons in question. It's often simply that the apparent complexity represents a large and daunting barrier for entry. If you'd never used a digital camera of any kind before, or a computer, how do you think you'd feel trying to take those first steps when perhaps even some of the concepts are new to you?
weseeyou 3 112
1 Jun 2013 11:37AM

Quote:Being unable to spell is hardly a disability

No, but dyslexia is, itīs a learning disability, and being unable to spell correctly is a consequence and symptom of that disability.

Let's not take people's statements the wrong way, redsnappa was trying to make a point by explaining some people can feel overwhelmed by modern-day technological equipment, and he didn't spell it correctly because of a recognised learning disability. Shall we leave it at that?

conrad all that you are achieving here is to stir this issue up by trying to promote further discussion and argument .

All that needs to be said has already been said and the topic was closed as far as I was concerned.

Unless you are a troll? please lets all let the issue drop and lets get this thread back on topic ok
conrad 10 10.9k 116
1 Jun 2013 11:53AM

Quote:Unless you are a troll?

I beg your pardon? I simply responded to what I felt was an incorrect and unfair comment by you. I don't know why, but for some reason your later post didn't appear on my screen. I had no intention of stirring up anything, I just wanted to set something straight.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
1 Jun 2013 11:54AM
So, back to the original subject.

Quote:If the camera is well designed and these are readily accessible, then no.

Quote:excellent camera with no fiddly bits

Those two comments say it all, don't they.
weseeyou 3 112
1 Jun 2013 12:17PM

Quote:Unless you are a troll?

I beg your pardon? I simply responded to what I felt was an incorrect and unfair comment by you. I don't know why, but for some reason your later post didn't appear on my screen. I had no intention of stirring up anything, I just wanted to set something straight.

have you finished now ?Wink
kodachrome 3 530
1 Jun 2013 4:26PM
I'm just over retirement age so I guess I fall into that 'catigory' as mentioned earlier. Its quite true that some of this modern tech can overwhelm some folk. My next door neighbour god bless her has yet to suss out her new TV hand set so I'm always round her house changing channels and making adjustments and showing her how to operate it. She is learning slowly.
I have to say that some of it for me is still the 'Black Art' LoL.
weseeyou 3 112
1 Jun 2013 7:15PM
I think this notion that it is primarily older folk that struggle with new technology is a myth spread by young folk lolSmile

Seriously I would challenge every person on this forum to connect my printer wirelessly to my BT Hub3 router which has WPA2-PSK security and I would probably win.

BT engineers haven't manage it yet !Grin

New technology challenges all of us even the geeks amongst us .

I know many teenagers who don't seem to be able to manage even the most straightforward of tasks without help but that doesn't mean that all teenagers are the same anymore than all older folk.
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2013 8:51PM
I represent the Northern Branch of the British Troll Protection Society and would like to air my utter dismay and disgust. There.
5 Jun 2013 9:13AM
I find it strange that most digital cameras shoot video. I have had my latest camera well over a year now and have never used that feature. To me it seems pointless, you are either into video or photos I would have thought