Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do todays digital cameras have too many features?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Unfortunately this topic has gone into terminal decline and is serving no useful purpose.
weseeyou
weseeyou  3112 forum posts
5 Jun 2013 - 2:24 PM

Quote: Mars landing, lunar explorer, hang-gliding, eating-curry-with-friends etc. programs would make for rather a large dialTongue Really messes up the 'user interface'.....maybe too many features?

GrinGrinGrin thats a well thought out response to this question and I think probably reflects a lot of bridge camera users .

The Fuji HS50 that I have recently upgraded to has the new style of menu that is accessed from a single Q button. Its very similar to the Win8 interface format and I expect it might have been influenced by that.

One pet hate for me personally is the current trend to link everything together through social network sites. it might be appealing to some but personally I do not wish to tell everyone I know that I have just purchased a pack of 10x Tena panti-pads medium strength on Amazon for my incontinent Father .....but call me old fashioned Smile

Last Modified By weseeyou at 5 Jun 2013 - 2:25 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Jun 2013 - 2:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2013 - 2:33 PM

Quote:

Thats why we are discussing the issue with an open mind to see if we might learn something we didn't know , as opposed to coming to a discussion with a limited viewpoint and closed mind.Wink

Everybody is coming at it with their own 'limited viewpoint and closed mind' - at the other extreme some have posted a dislike the existence of all these choices for no other reason than they dislike them being present (not something I would call 'an open mind'). A few posts have mentioned the important thing for them with regards to usability of the camera is how the camera interface works and if you re-read my post I stated what I like about my Canon and Panasonic and asked (in reference to your question) how it was much different.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2013 - 3:37 PM

@ weseeyou - despite the fact you have accused one of our long standing and respected members of being a troll your posts seem to indicate you are the one using sarcasm and borderline aggressive posts on this thread for no apparent reason.

Maybe you should accept that a discussion can have flexible boundaries and if a post doesn't conform to your narrow view of what should be said that doesn't make it wrong or irrelevant.

Ian

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014143 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2013 - 3:49 PM

This sort of discussion has been going on for many years in the IT industry. Many years ago I worked for an IT manager who decide that Microsoft Word was too complicated for most users and we should remove options to make it simpler. He gave us a list of 12 things we should hide, but first we should check to see if anyone was using the features. It didnt take long to find at least one user who relied on each feature..the only one no one used was the equation editor (I have since seen it used by quants and analysts). The idea was soon shelved.

Microsoft themselves have tried a couple of times with adding short menus and adaptive menus but really they were just annoying. Its not the number of options/features that is the problem more how they are presented and how they relate to each other.
In many ways the iPhone pointed the way on this, hide all the complexity behind a Fisher-Price style interface and only deliver features in bite sized apps/groups of functionality and most people will be happy with it.

The real problem is delivering that level of instant usability without alienating your power users (pro/serious amateur photographers) who have the time and inclination to really understand the kit and need a "Fast if you know what you are doing" user interface.

weseeyou
weseeyou  3112 forum posts
5 Jun 2013 - 6:12 PM

Quote: @ weseeyou - despite the fact you have accused one of our long standing and respected members of being a troll your posts seem to indicate you are the one using sarcasm and borderline aggressive posts on this thread for no apparent reason.

Maybe you should accept that a discussion can have flexible boundaries and if a post doesn't conform to your narrow view of what should be said that doesn't make it wrong or irrelevant.

Ian

what on earth are you going on about Ian ?

Have you actually read what I wrote ?or are you just making it up in order to have a pop at me ?

It seems I need to repeat myself yet again for your benefit.

I did not accuse anybody of being a troll !

Either quote me the exact paragraph where I accused someone of being a troll or for goodness sake drop your silly accusations and get back on topic !

Why do you suggest I 'should accept that a discussion can have flexible boundaries' ?

when that is precisely what I said myself in the very post you are referring to.

quote 'Thats why we are discussing the issue with an open mind'

I would suggest that most of the problem you seem to be having stems from a poor grasp of the English language and grammar

Last Modified By weseeyou at 5 Jun 2013 - 6:13 PM
conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2013 - 6:53 PM

Quote: are you just making it up in order to have a pop at me ?

I think we can see a pattern here. I was going to say 'developing here', but on second thought it's quite apparent already.

Ian happens to be right, your posts tend to be borderline aggressive.

Quote: I did not accuse anybody of being a troll !

You asked if I was one, which is more indirect, and more suggestive - it's a coward's way of accusing someone, because you can always do exactly what you did above, namely say that you didn't accuse anyone ('directly', one would have to add to that).

Quote: I would suggest that most of the problem you seem to be having stems from a poor grasp of the English language and grammar

Oh dear. You really donīt want to say that, believe me.

Apart from the fact that you're bound to make mistakes yourself (everyone does), you're only saying it to find something else to criticise about the other member. It has nothing to do with the subject discussed in this thread, your pseudo analysis of his 'problem' is nonsense, and even if his use of the Queen's English isn't perfect, it's really not bad enough to criticise in this way - if I had to proofread his words professionally (one of the things I do for a living), there would only be a few corrections, which cannot be said of quite a few other people on this forum.

Mike and Ian are right - as the one who in this thread has had the most to say about people having to have an open mind, it's ironic to say the least that you're clearly having the most problems dealing with posts from people who disagree with you. Not only that, but the way you show that, is downright offensive.

We don't mind a fierce discussion on this forum, but generally it's a relatively friendly forum, and if you keep on behaving this way, you're not going to last long on here.

I normally express myself more carefully than this, but you don't seem to be getting the message, so you left me no choice really, this had to be said.

Last Modified By conrad at 5 Jun 2013 - 6:56 PM

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Unfortunately this topic has gone into terminal decline and is serving no useful purpose.