Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do you calibrate?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

yellowmunky
19 May 2009 - 1:54 PM

Just wondering how many people bother... a brief discussion somewhere else kind of surprised me as to how many people are 'happy' with not bothering...

Those 16 shades at the bottom of this site... can you see them all?

Do you calibrate with equipment, or rely on your eye and wits?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 May 2009 - 1:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Simon_Palmer
19 May 2009 - 2:09 PM

To not calibrate is to buy a Ferrari and put remoulds on it, it's just not going to work properly is it? Wink

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 2:22 PM

I gave up with screen calibration - get much better results without it.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 2:26 PM

Quote: it's just not going to work properly is it?

Calibration, you mean? Couldn't agree more

In my experience calibration colorimters are a complete waste of time. I have Huey pro and every time I use it it turns the screen a different colour.
I just recalibrated this morning and now all the bits of the screen which were white (the Google background for example) are a strong shade of pink. Previously, they were blue.

Last Modified By stolzy at 19 May 2009 - 2:27 PM
User_Removed
19 May 2009 - 2:37 PM

Quote: I gave up with screen calibration - get much better results without it.

Care to expand on that please Chris..??

Last Modified By User_Removed at 19 May 2009 - 2:39 PM
f8
f8  119169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 2:53 PM

Do you calibrate with equipment, or rely on your eye and wits?
[/quote]

No and yes.
I know someone who has calibrated, and is still calibrating every few times they use it.
Probably OK for some not others.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 3:03 PM

I find calibration a godsend, the Spyder 2 I have gives consistent results and I find prints at home or via the web come out much better than before where I tried to use Adobe Gama.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 3:18 PM

Quote: I gave up with screen calibration - get much better results without it.

He is afraid to see the 'true' photos he has taken.
Smile

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 3:19 PM

Quote: Quote:I gave up with screen calibration - get much better results without it.Care to expand on that please Chris..??

I tried a spider on my laptop screen and all the colours seemed to change. Anything I did on that monitor looked terrible on any other. i just don't stress about it now - I use printer profiles when I print and results seem to be very close to what I am expecting.

Simon_Palmer
19 May 2009 - 3:32 PM

Don't know about you guys, but whenever the topic of screen calibration comes up there is nearly always a pattern that develops very quickly. The 'I use a spyder' camp, always have the grief.

Answer, buy Gretag MacBeth/X-Rite it works with Vista and Windows 7 perfectly too, which will be the next thing/pattern that gets bitched about Tongue

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 3:34 PM

Quote: The 'I use a spyder' camp, always have the grief.

Errrm, I don't! I have a Spyder 3 Pro and it's great. No problems at all.

strawman
19 May 2009 - 3:47 PM

If I understand it, calibration issues can exist with different devices, plus also with how the OS and photo program handle colour spaces and which standard they are working with. Plus the driver software with some graphics cards can also get in the way.

All I can say, is that with Xp and Vista and Photoshop (up to CS3, or Elements6), the GIMP and C1 I can get the Spyder 2 to work on lap tops and desk machines, with LCD and Lap tops and at least one projector. But that did involve overcoming a Spyder/NVIDIA driver conflict/issue on vista.

From people I know, the Huey can be easier to damage I would infer. Also its reading of the ambient light levels can help or stuff things up.

It is not perfect, but for me, it is a lot better than no calibration.

Picture_Newport

Quote: The 'I use a spyder' camp, always have the grief.

Me Neither. My Spyder 2 Pro is brill. Smile I get much better results than I ever did before I brought it a couple of years ago.

Calibration.. it's the future. Smile

lobsterboy
19 May 2009 - 3:51 PM

Quote: Answer, buy Gretag MacBeth/X-Rite it works with Vista and Windows 7 perfectly too, which will be the next thing/pattern that gets bitched about

Why would that be the answer ? - everything is working fine now without calibration.

strawman
19 May 2009 - 3:57 PM

To be honest if prints come out OK, and you transfer your work to others OK, then you are correct why worry.

If like me you were adjusting your printer colours etc and getting poor results from other sources. With the spyder I could go back to default settings in the printer and on-line printing came back close to correct (except for photobox being too dark).

So I think it is great, and with a problematic projector, it has been a great thing.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.