Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Do you calibrate?

Simon_Palmer e2
8 759 11 United Kingdom
19 May 2009 4:06PM
Most folks get dark prints back from Photobox simply because they have their screen burning away at an insane 200+ cdm2 is my findings. 100 - 120 cdm2 is more than enough imo.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
19 May 2009 4:27PM
A bit late but thanks for the feedback Chris. I don't use PP's so (desktop) screen calibration is the way for me. Smile
stolzy 9 3.8k 7
19 May 2009 4:34PM

Quote:Most folks get dark prints back from Photobox simply because they have their screen burning away at an insane 200+ cdm2 is my findings. 100 - 120 cdm2 is more than enough imo.

But altering the screen brightness screws up the colour. I can get two entirely different calibrations with huey pro, a pink one with the monitor brightness turned right down and a blue one with the brightness turned to 100%.
That plus the fact that i can't adjust the contrast (which the Huey pro software requires) makes calibration just about pointless.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that wasting a box of paper and some ink on repeated printing of a test image and iterative tweaking of the printer driver colour controls is the way to go.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
19 May 2009 4:47PM
Sorry Stolzy, all I can say is that the spyder 2 saved me from that. But we use different machines/displays and calibration devices and a different OS.

Re Photobox, it is only with them I have the problems, so I am not convinced that it is not them.
19 May 2009 5:33PM
Most Minilabs I have experience with (eg Fuji Frontier like what Photobox use etc) have auto correction built-into the software that converts the files to the format it understands. This has the effect of boosting contrast to the point where shadows are dark, and occasionally highlights are blown.

I have the luxury of access to a lab where the auto-correction can be turned off and the difference is outstanding, especially from file worked on with a properly calibrated screen.

I use a Monaco Optix XR, which I am very pleased with. I was also quite impressed by the Spyder 3 when I had a go with that. I never have any colour issues with my work that is published either. Smile
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
19 May 2009 6:20PM

Quote:Do you calibrate?

Only when the wife is out Smile
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
19 May 2009 6:27PM
Spyder. Not perfect, lot better than nothing.
User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
19 May 2009 6:33PM
My prints were crap then I got a Spyder and now they look good so I think it works. Or I am doing something else different and it's a coincidence.
mlewis e2
10 1.5k United Kingdom
19 May 2009 7:16PM
I calibrate. It helped mr get prints matching the monitor.

Quote:
But altering the screen brightness screws up the colour. I can get two entirely different calibrations with huey pro, a pink one with the monitor brightness turned right down and a blue one with the brightness turned to 100%.
That plus the fact that i can't adjust the contrast (which the Huey pro software requires) makes calibration just about pointless.

Sound like the Huey is pretty useless then. Try a Spyder 3 or i1 Display 2 and see it is better. I bet it would be. Also, you shouldn't alter the screen brightness. You adjust the brightness to match the viewing conditions, then calibrate and profile, then leave all the controls alone.
stolzy 9 3.8k 7
19 May 2009 8:17PM

Quote:Try a Spyder 3

i have tried a spyder too. Didn't get screwed up by the room light measurement, but frankly the difference it made when the screen was calibrated was so small compared to the difference between the screen and the print that it was pretty much a waste of time.

Quote:Also, you shouldn't alter the screen brightness

I think you should - modern monitors are very bright and can never match the reflectance of a paper print
sjteague 6 147 1 Wales
19 May 2009 8:33PM
The Heuy is good (and got a good reviews in a mag a month back or so - beating if I recall most of the spyders though please check and i see if I remember the mag article), if fact good reviews most places - just look.

My monitor(s) are all calibrated with the heuy and my prints are as they should be I used 3 monitors and all have a diff'ing view of the image now the are pretty much in sync - but as i do a lot of editing I find it most usful.

Most monitors I come across are way to bright and many images of mine look crap on them but it's the prints that matter.
andytvcams e2
12 10.4k United Kingdom
19 May 2009 10:40PM
Never mind the calibration side of things.
Judging by some images ive seen on here today a visit to specsavers would be in order.

Oh and some should try following their own advise.
yellowmunky e2
10 127 1 Wales
20 May 2009 12:52AM

Quote:Never mind the calibration side of things.
Judging by some images ive seen on here today a visit to specsavers would be in order.

Oh and some should try following their own advise.

I found some images on here today to be rather good... I think there's a misconception on this site sometimes that everyone posts images they want people to like, however, there's plenty of folk on here who simply want constructive advise to make them better photographers; advise from excellent photographers like yourself, for instance... Smile
Nickscape e2
8 705 9 England
20 May 2009 9:51AM

Quote:I have Huey pro and every time I use it it turns the screen a different colour.

id send it back then if I were you, mine works everytime - there was a batch which were faulty, you probably have one of them..
TeresaH e2
9 1.1k United Kingdom
20 May 2009 10:03AM

Quote:Those 16 shades at the bottom of this site... can you see them all?

Don't really know much about this subject but I can see 16 different shades so does that mean my screen is correctly calibrated?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.