Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do you calibrate?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Simon_Palmer
19 May 2009 - 4:06 PM

Most folks get dark prints back from Photobox simply because they have their screen burning away at an insane 200+ cdm2 is my findings. 100 - 120 cdm2 is more than enough imo.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 May 2009 - 4:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
19 May 2009 - 4:27 PM

A bit late but thanks for the feedback Chris. I don't use PP's so (desktop) screen calibration is the way for me. Smile

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 4:34 PM

Quote: Most folks get dark prints back from Photobox simply because they have their screen burning away at an insane 200+ cdm2 is my findings. 100 - 120 cdm2 is more than enough imo.

But altering the screen brightness screws up the colour. I can get two entirely different calibrations with huey pro, a pink one with the monitor brightness turned right down and a blue one with the brightness turned to 100%.
That plus the fact that i can't adjust the contrast (which the Huey pro software requires) makes calibration just about pointless.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that wasting a box of paper and some ink on repeated printing of a test image and iterative tweaking of the printer driver colour controls is the way to go.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 4:47 PM

Sorry Stolzy, all I can say is that the spyder 2 saved me from that. But we use different machines/displays and calibration devices and a different OS.

Re Photobox, it is only with them I have the problems, so I am not convinced that it is not them.

theorderingone
19 May 2009 - 5:33 PM

Most Minilabs I have experience with (eg Fuji Frontier like what Photobox use etc) have auto correction built-into the software that converts the files to the format it understands. This has the effect of boosting contrast to the point where shadows are dark, and occasionally highlights are blown.

I have the luxury of access to a lab where the auto-correction can be turned off and the difference is outstanding, especially from file worked on with a properly calibrated screen.

I use a Monaco Optix XR, which I am very pleased with. I was also quite impressed by the Spyder 3 when I had a go with that. I never have any colour issues with my work that is published either. Smile

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85907 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 6:20 PM

Quote: Do you calibrate?

Only when the wife is out Smile

keith selmes
19 May 2009 - 6:27 PM

Spyder. Not perfect, lot better than nothing.

User_Removed
19 May 2009 - 6:33 PM

My prints were crap then I got a Spyder and now they look good so I think it works. Or I am doing something else different and it's a coincidence.

mlewis
mlewis  91476 forum posts United Kingdom
19 May 2009 - 7:16 PM

I calibrate. It helped mr get prints matching the monitor.

Quote:
But altering the screen brightness screws up the colour. I can get two entirely different calibrations with huey pro, a pink one with the monitor brightness turned right down and a blue one with the brightness turned to 100%.
That plus the fact that i can't adjust the contrast (which the Huey pro software requires) makes calibration just about pointless.

Sound like the Huey is pretty useless then. Try a Spyder 3 or i1 Display 2 and see it is better. I bet it would be. Also, you shouldn't alter the screen brightness. You adjust the brightness to match the viewing conditions, then calibrate and profile, then leave all the controls alone.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 8:17 PM

Quote: Try a Spyder 3

i have tried a spyder too. Didn't get screwed up by the room light measurement, but frankly the difference it made when the screen was calibrated was so small compared to the difference between the screen and the print that it was pretty much a waste of time.

Quote: Also, you shouldn't alter the screen brightness

I think you should - modern monitors are very bright and can never match the reflectance of a paper print

Last Modified By stolzy at 19 May 2009 - 8:18 PM
sjteague
sjteague  6147 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2009 - 8:33 PM

The Heuy is good (and got a good reviews in a mag a month back or so - beating if I recall most of the spyders though please check and i see if I remember the mag article), if fact good reviews most places - just look.

My monitor(s) are all calibrated with the heuy and my prints are as they should be I used 3 monitors and all have a diff'ing view of the image now the are pretty much in sync - but as i do a lot of editing I find it most usful.

Most monitors I come across are way to bright and many images of mine look crap on them but it's the prints that matter.

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
19 May 2009 - 10:40 PM

Never mind the calibration side of things.
Judging by some images ive seen on here today a visit to specsavers would be in order.

Oh and some should try following their own advise.

yellowmunky
20 May 2009 - 12:52 AM

Quote: Never mind the calibration side of things.
Judging by some images ive seen on here today a visit to specsavers would be in order.

Oh and some should try following their own advise.

I found some images on here today to be rather good... I think there's a misconception on this site sometimes that everyone posts images they want people to like, however, there's plenty of folk on here who simply want constructive advise to make them better photographers; advise from excellent photographers like yourself, for instance... Smile

Nickscape
Nickscape  8694 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2009 - 9:51 AM

Quote: I have Huey pro and every time I use it it turns the screen a different colour.

id send it back then if I were you, mine works everytime - there was a batch which were faulty, you probably have one of them..

TeresaH
TeresaH  91116 forum posts United Kingdom
20 May 2009 - 10:03 AM

Quote: Those 16 shades at the bottom of this site... can you see them all?

Don't really know much about this subject but I can see 16 different shades so does that mean my screen is correctly calibrated?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.