Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Do you calibrate?

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
6 Nov 2013 11:47PM

Quote:Some how I don`t think mine will be supported Smile

If you're using a Spyder 2 it's supported by dispalGUI, which is one of the best calibration programs around (and free - though its 'menu' is a little daunting for anyone used to a wizard).

The first Spyder won't be supported, though you can hook up a lot of cheap calibrators to it and immediately gain some potentially useful calibration choices.

That was an interesting read, it says that the colour munky and I1 pro share the same hardware and it is just the bundled software that is different Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
7 Nov 2013 12:53AM
I bought the i1 Display Pro with the intention of hardware calibrating my Dell, but in the end I became frustrated with the X-Rite software and just used it with dispcalGUI. Previously I didn't think it was possible to use the ColorMunki Display with third-party programs - I read it was locked into the proprietary software. Seems not to be necessarily the case.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
7 Nov 2013 6:38AM
I do the monitor's built-in setup, that's it.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Nov 2013 9:26PM
Has it got a gaming mod setting then Denny Smile

I might not need a new calibrating set up just yet, windows 7 has this xp compatibility thingy I can download Smile
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
8 Nov 2013 1:10AM
Yes it does Paul, although I have it set on Photo. It's an HP 23BW IPS LED Backlit Monitor with HDMI and DVI. I got it at a sale price for $150.00.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
8 Nov 2013 12:13PM
It's simple with calibration. If you sell pictures for media use, which is where most of mine go, you need to calibrate to get consistent results for your customers and users. Also if you collaborate with someone else, you need calibration to make sure you are both looking at the same colours.

Lobsterboy misses the point completely. Calibration is not about liking the results, it is about getting the same results as someone else. If you are strictly amateur, then you can please yourself about colours and work according to your own monitor. Calibration works with other calibrated devices. It simply establishes a standard.

Your eyes get used to and correct almost any colour inaccuracy they see. If you set your monitor to have a green cast, after a while viewing it the green cast will be filtered out by your brain. However, when you send that picture to the printer it will print with a green cast and anyone casually viewing it will see a green cast.

The point of calibration is to avoid that problem. It is just a form of standardisation for people in the industry.

An analogy would be temperature. One person's cool is another persons chilly. Your thermometer doesn't care what you feel or like. It is calibrated so that cool person and chilly person can establish common ground outside their personal perception.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
8 Nov 2013 8:55PM
Strictly amateur here.Smile
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
8 Nov 2013 9:21PM
Which is nice because you have the choice to calibrate or not. For a professional it would be like a cab driver not having his car serviced.

You could get away with it but it wouldn't say much about your commitment to your work.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
8 Nov 2013 10:19PM
I used to do it, but it never looked right to me, so now I fiddle with things I don't know anything about as little as possible.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
9 Nov 2013 12:30AM

Quote:An analogy would be temperature. One person's cool is another persons chilly. Your thermometer doesn't care what you feel or like. It is calibrated so that cool person and chilly person can establish common ground outside their personal perception

Does anyone here use calibrated profiles for there camera`s ?
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
9 Nov 2013 6:19AM

Quote:Does anyone here use calibrated profiles for there camera`s ?

Yes, I do, though I wouldn't regard it as critical as monitor calibration/profiling. Everything else you do is undermined if you can't trust what you're looking at whilst editing. Still, it's good to start off with a file that looks something like what was seen originally - seems to be always the same colours that noticeably shift between X-Rite and Adobe (i.e. blue/yellow/orange).

Doing nothing is fine if it works for you - much of photography is designed to work that way anyway, where you stick everything in an sRGB pipeline and it comes out the other side looking roughly the same. The inherent problem with monitors is, as Lemmy says, you just get accustomed to your own screen and won't necessarily notice if it's wayward, or you won't see any gradual change in it.
Railcam 8 484 Scotland
9 Nov 2013 9:31AM
I got a ColorMunki earlier this year and after calibrating my monitor (big difference) and doing ICC profiles for my printers I eventually decided to calibrate the camera using the colour checker card (enclosed with the ColorMunki) via Lightroom.

I was surprised at the difference compared with the default "Adobe Standard" profile. Certain colours had more saturation when using the bespoke profile.

It is explained in this presentation by Joe Brady. The demonstration starts at 2 minutes 30 seconds.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
9 Nov 2013 6:51PM

Quote:Yes, I do, though I wouldn't regard it as critical as monitor calibration/profiling
Quote:

Its definitely useful if your using more than one camera or you want repeatability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q89NW8jtn_8

It need not cost a lot, all you need is a mcbeth card and download the free adobe software.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5494

I don`t calibrate printers since I never print pictures, I prefer to get some else to do mine.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
10 Nov 2013 2:20AM
My calibration is rough and ready, but it suffices. I don't print these days so it's not an issue.
IanYorke 1 6 United Kingdom
10 Nov 2013 5:07PM
I purchased a Spyder 3 Elite and Spyder Print box of tricks at a reasonable discount from the now defunct FOCUS show a few years back. It turned out to be one of my best buys! If it ever gives up the ghost I would purchase a new one straight away.

Of course if you never print or share anything then it is a moot point but for anyone who does print I think that it is highly recommended to calibrate; but each to their own.

One eye opener was that at the end of the calibration you can see how much of the sRGB colour space your monitor is capable of displaying. Having calibrated 6 laptops (own and friends) I have found most LED laptop screens to be very poor compared to a decent monitor (Dell 2713H).

Calibration is not difficult but user error or very poor screens can be common.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.