Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Do you calibrate?

GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
10 Nov 2013 6:05PM

Quote:Having calibrated 6 laptops (own and friends) I have found most LED laptop screens to be very poor compared to a decent monitor (Dell 2713H).

Most laptops are sub-sRGB with a correspondingly low-bit colour depth (typically 6-bit). It's fairly easy to cause banding in them when calibrating, and I'm not even convinced it's helpful unless there's an identified need for it. Obviously different for the high-end machines.

One thing you can do in calibration, providing you have the right software, is skip the gamma adjustment that loads at startup by choosing 'native gamma'. This is then mitigated by the profile in Photoshop (or whatever). You can also choose 'native white point' for similar reasons. Other than the brightness adjustment, calibration of an LCD monitor is not a lossless process, so it's inherently more likely to do noticeable harm in cheaper, low-bit screens.

The Dell 2713H in an ideal world should be hardware calibrated, though my own experience of that with a similar model was short-lived (not overly impressed with its implementation or the X-Rite software).

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.