Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do you calibrate?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
GlennH
GlennH e2 Member 81820 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2013 - 6:05 PM

Quote: Having calibrated 6 laptops (own and friends) I have found most LED laptop screens to be very poor compared to a decent monitor (Dell 2713H).

Most laptops are sub-sRGB with a correspondingly low-bit colour depth (typically 6-bit). It's fairly easy to cause banding in them when calibrating, and I'm not even convinced it's helpful unless there's an identified need for it. Obviously different for the high-end machines.

One thing you can do in calibration, providing you have the right software, is skip the gamma adjustment that loads at startup by choosing 'native gamma'. This is then mitigated by the profile in Photoshop (or whatever). You can also choose 'native white point' for similar reasons. Other than the brightness adjustment, calibration of an LCD monitor is not a lossless process, so it's inherently more likely to do noticeable harm in cheaper, low-bit screens.

The Dell 2713H in an ideal world should be hardware calibrated, though my own experience of that with a similar model was short-lived (not overly impressed with its implementation or the X-Rite software).

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Nov 2013 - 6:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.