Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do you get a Flu Shot

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014682 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2013 - 9:37 PM

The various Flu viruses are on the go here again this season. This is the second year for me getting a flu shot, and I got it very early this year. The flu is bad enough, but 2 years ago, my wife got the flu, and her resistence was down and she ended up with the MRSA bacteria infecting her, and settling in her heart chamber. It was touch and go for a couple weeks, and it took a year for her to return to about 75% of her energetic self, minus the sight in her left eye. So I get the shot to help protect her, but I can't get her to get one, it's frustrating. The nurse that gave me my shot said this year is a very good year to get one because the viruses are becoming immune to the antibiotics they're using, and people are having to return up to 3 times for treatment for the same viral infections. Here's a simple Influenza checklist.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Jan 2013 - 9:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davereet
davereet e2 Member 9197 forum postsdavereet vcard United Kingdom
5 Jan 2013 - 9:46 PM

They are eight quid in tesco's pharmacy.
Its good value cos I had Flu about ten years ago and I lost over two weeks pay.
Plus I felt really ill, Flu is a serious illness.

Dave

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2013 - 9:54 PM

I usually get the flu shot every winter. The company I work for provides it every year and travelling on the tube everyday makes it a pretty wise precaution.

Newdevonian
5 Jan 2013 - 10:01 PM

Flu shot. It' s a no brainer. I have one every year.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64363 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2013 - 10:22 PM

I've never had a flu shot. I've never had flu.

Jestertheclown
5 Jan 2013 - 10:27 PM

Quote: I've never had a flu shot. I've never had flu.

You're tempting fate there Chris. I really hope you never do get flu.

A mild dose isn't so bad but I wouldn't wish a heavy dose of it on anyone; well, not many people anyway.

I've had a flu shot every year since 1998, when I had bronchitis, since when, it's been compulsory.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 5 Jan 2013 - 10:28 PM
widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2013 - 10:34 PM

I also get the flu jab every year , the flu is a nasty nasty infection. Straycat iam sorry about your wife thats a horrible story but i must correct you antibiotics don't and have never worked against viruses they are active against bacterial infections but not viral. Therefore the flu can't become resistant to antibiotics that were never effective in the first place.Think what you mean is secondary bacterial infectionsSmile

Rod

scottishphototours

Yep, flu jab for me. As a PA sufferer it's compulsory...

pdcche
pdcche  3 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2013 - 11:07 PM

Well worth getting it, i'm in the at risk category, so don,t delay, the sooner the better, i get a letter from my doctor every year and make sure i go to protect myself, Peter..

Last Modified By pdcche at 5 Jan 2013 - 11:09 PM
sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82312 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2013 - 11:25 PM

Quote: The nurse that gave me my shot said this year is a very good year to get one because the viruses are becoming immune to the antibiotics they're using

Antibiotics don't work on viruses period - they are only any use for bacterium.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61182 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2013 - 11:26 PM

My hubby should have had one, didn't because the nurse he sees for his INR tests decided he wasn't in "need to have it" category. Well it's has cost him 3 days work which is no good if you are self employed. He has a horrendous cough now that he can't get rid of and because he can't just take time off work it is taking forever to clear.

I don't think he has ever had flu before but he now knows just how awful it is.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2013 - 11:26 PM

It's worth getting if just to reduce the risk but its not as efective as peaple believe, it only protects just over 50 percent of those that take it, and even less in the over 60s , they have to predict the strain a year in advance of making it and get it wrong sometimes.

Some scientists have even claimed its a waste of tax payers money, I get it due to angina

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/flu/9692193/Flu-vaccine-effectiveness-exaggerated-scientists-claim.html

Many more links out there saying same thing

Last Modified By KevSB at 5 Jan 2013 - 11:31 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014682 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2013 - 11:34 PM

Yes, I should have clarified that; antibiotics for the infections. The cough you're talking about is one of the lingering symptoms this year. Also, nobody has claimed that the shot will prevent the flu, but if you get the flu, it should greatly reduce the severeness of it.

Here it's free, and available at all pharmacies for the first time this season. One only has to sit in the waiting room of a health clinic for a short while to appreciate the shot.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2013 - 11:46 PM

I could get it free, but I never bother.

Jestertheclown
5 Jan 2013 - 11:46 PM

Quote: vaccine-effectiveness-exaggerated-scientists-claim

That's a typically over-hyped newspaper report though Kev, backed up by lots of conveniently similar readers' comments all, bizarrely, in agreement with the somewhat scaremongering manner of the article.
If some, or all, of the reports referred to in there could be brought together and compared to one another, I rather fancy that you'd just have another pile of fragmented statistics, each purporting, as statistics are designed to do, that all of the others are incorrect, regardless of their content, or the accuracy or otherwise, of it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.