Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Do you get a Flu Shot

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

kodachrome
6 Jan 2013 - 8:56 AM

The media have always had the scaremongering 'tool' as an option for selling their products. The Daily M and Daily E are two news papers who have almost made scaremongering an art form.
The TV channels are not much better either.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jan 2013 - 8:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315583 forum posts England
6 Jan 2013 - 9:26 AM

I had one for the first time in October as my (ex) company paid for it. I spent the following two days suffering from the worst vertigo attack I've had in five years, so I won't be doing that again....

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2013 - 9:58 AM

Intersting Bri, I had one 3 years ago and felt rotten afterwards with aching joints and bad head, which the Doc said couldn't be linked to the jab. (This lasted for around 3 months)

Didn't have it in the intervening years and no such problems occured

This year I agreed to have one after much pressure (+ the pneumonia jab) and experience the same rotten after effects

I guess its in the nature of mass medication, the 0.001% or so of people with side effects are judged to be a worthwhile price to pay to protect the rest (and the information has to be "adjusted" to dispute any side effects)

thewilliam
6 Jan 2013 - 10:24 AM

When the flu jab first became available, donkeys years ago, I took a punt and had the worst bout of flu that I've ever experienced.

This put me off, but flu does get more dangerous as we get older. It used to be lethal because the 1919 epidemic killed more people than the Great War.

JohnParminter
6 Jan 2013 - 11:02 AM

The company I'm contracted to offers it to every employee or consultant, I have had it for the last 3 or 4 years but the majority don't bother with it.

I've only had proper flu about ten years ago, it was totally debilitating and I couldn't even find the energy to get out of bed for nearly a week so I have the jab to hopefully prevent an occurrence like that. I only get paid for the days I work so it makes perfect sense to me to have the jab if it is offered, I don't have any side effects with it either.

JP

keith selmes
6 Jan 2013 - 12:51 PM

Quote: flu does get more dangerous as we get older. It used to be lethal because the 1919 epidemic killed more people than the Great War

usually older people are more vulnerable, but that particular strain killed mainly healthy young people.

Cephus
Cephus  92128 forum posts England
6 Jan 2013 - 1:27 PM

This year I had Flu, Pneumonia and Shingles jabs and experienced no after effects whatever.

mikehit
mikehit  56462 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2013 - 2:30 PM

Quote: and people are having to return up to 3 times for treatment for the same viral infections.

Flu vaccines are manufactured a season ahead to give the pharmaceutical companies time to build up stocks: so for example, in mid this year the World Health Organisation will look at flu patterns across the globe and try to predict which strain will predominate next year. The pharmceutical companies then start to manufacture the vaccines in time for winter 2013 vaccine programme. This works most years but as you can imagine sometimes they get it wrong (maybe they selected the wrong strain or maybe multiple strains come at the same time) and they have to switch their manufacturing and call patients back in for another vaccination.

Quote: When the flu jab first became available, donkeys years ago, I took a punt and had the worst bout of flu that I've ever experienced.

That is not uncommon - flu symptoms is a well-recognised side effect of flu vaccines. It varies between indiviudals and between strains - a person may get side effects some years and not others.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2013 - 2:31 PM

that's statistics for you, the majority of the population will have no side effects, only benefits, else the drug companies couldn't release their products Smile

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2013 - 2:35 PM

I'm now in one of the `at risk' categories, so got mine free in early December. Have had flu in the past and am a great believer in building up immunities, so doubt whether I would have got the shot if not through this scheme.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2013 - 2:41 PM

Quote: That is not uncommon - flu symptoms is a well-recognised side effect of flu vaccines. It varies between indiviudals and between strains - a person may get side effects some years and not others.

But it won't be flu. This is what the NHS say on the subject:-

The flu jab gives you flu
A complete myth! The vaccine is not full of live flu bugs but instead contains inactive flu viruses. This means
that you won’t catch flu from the vaccine, but your body can still recognise the virus and that helps you fight
it off if you get it for real. If you experience symptoms such as a sore arm or achiness for a day or so after
getting the jab, that can be a sign your immune system is responding and the jab is working.

camay
camay  7119 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2013 - 9:37 PM

At a party at the weekend, several virologists at it from the local university. All had the flu jab, all got the flu quite badly, it had mutated and the jab didn't work. They shrugged their shoulders and accepted that that happens sometimes. So even with the jab it might not work.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2013 - 10:11 AM

Yes, I've quite a few older vulnerable relatives - and if my body can kill the actual flu virus before i see them then i can't easily pass it on. Smile

I'm another that gets it via their company, but I normally help organise a trip down to Boots for others around me - its not expensive compared to the potential consequences. This year we organised it too late and quite a few of them were quite sick with Flu, but not me (smug/guilty). Next year less faffing around.

Yes one year i did feel rough after the jab but normally i don't and can't see a medical reason for the link to feeling bad anyway.

I had flu once years back - not nice! If you can get a shot for you and for those around you.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.