Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

do you print your pics

10 Aug 2013 3:09PM
do you ever see your pics in print or do they just live on the card or harddrive

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2013 3:14PM
I do provide lab print for clients - just got back from delivering some.
JohnParminter 7 1.2k 14 England
10 Aug 2013 3:22PM

Quote:do you ever see your pics in print

Yes, I produced a book.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2013 4:09PM
crw-1494-01be.jpg

pink 11 1.8k 5 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2013 4:34PM
Shame not to print them, I have hundreds
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2013 4:36PM
Yes, several hundred a year, ideally a week or so before I see them sold on to their new owners Grin

(The job's not done until the image is printed as far as I am concerned)
Graysta 9 1.1k England
10 Aug 2013 6:17PM
Yes but I don't alway's print them myself these day's DS colour labs now do most of my album pages so i do see my images in print.
10 Aug 2013 6:28PM
I do all my own printing, from the days in the dark room to now on an Epson R360 Smile
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
10 Aug 2013 7:23PM
If you do not sell your prints or show in exhibitions I can see no point in printing them.

All my prints from camera club times, 20+ years ago, are in a pile on top of the wardrobe !
Gundog 1 624 Scotland
10 Aug 2013 10:07PM
Don't see any point in taking photographs unless you are going to print them. You can't display a data file on a wall (well, maybe you can, but it would look kinda weird - just a lot of binary code).

A point to bear in mind is that you can take all reasonable steps to ensure that your own monitors are properly calibrated - but you have no control whatsoever over the calibration of other people's monitors. So really the only way to be sure that other folk see your photographs as you intend them to be viewed is to print them.

But I guess that different folk have different reasons for taking photographs and maybe the huge limitations of only seeing them on monitors don't matter for some purposes.
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
10 Aug 2013 10:35PM

Quote:But I guess that different folk have different reasons for taking photographs and maybe the huge limitations of only seeing them on monitors don't matter for some purposes.

You'r right that we all have our reasons for taking photographs but I don't see how there are "huge limitations" to only viewing them on a monitor.
I'd find the limitations of printing, framing and hanging the thousands of images I have her far more "huge."
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2013 11:05PM
There are cost and time problems with printing, and now if I want to just show a few images to a few people I can save on it by using a tablet.
But the size is limited, and it's surprising how much difference mounting a print can make.

To only view images on a monitor seems to me has a pretty severe and obvious limitation, you have to be sitting in front of a computer, which is pretty damned inconvenient if you have a few people wanting to look. Difficult handing it round with the drinks. I did consider using the TV and looked up the price of large size digital frames, but they don't seem good alternatives.

On the other hand, I have boxes of 6x4 prints which I intend mainly scrapping, once I have decided which negs to bother scanning, and which few prints to keep.
And a stack of inkjet prints which need weeding before doing any more.
Definitely not going to print everything, and many of my images were never intended for hard copy anyway - photos do nowadays have other uses besides printing.

Swings and roundabouts really.
LouiseTopp 4 409 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2013 4:25PM
I did take my photo's to be printed at boots, then buy a cardboard mount for it afterwards. I now get my picture frame as ask for the photo to be printed in the side that would fit that. Is that the best way please?
Cudweed 1 6 France
23 Aug 2013 6:35PM

Quote:I do all my own printing, from the days in the dark room to now on an Epson R360 Smile

Are you happy with the printers results?
I am putting myself through the slow agony of deciding which printer to purchase.Sad I keep looking at Canon pixma pro 100 (mentioned on another thread) Do I need to spend huge amounts of money? I look at it this way.....we all go to the trouble (pleasure) of spending out on camera stuff and perfecting the images but for me the best pics stay unlooked at. Perhaps I am trying to justify spending the money..oh sigh...its not a cheap hobby.....and frustrating to do it on a shoestring!
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
23 Aug 2013 6:41PM
Rarely use my inkjet these days.......All my exhibition work gets sent off to http://www.loxleycolour.com/ better cost efficiency and better results IMHO. Only use the inkjet for the odd print now and again or for the odd document scan or general office duties....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.