Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

dodgy keyboard

CarolG e2
8 147 18 Greece
30 Dec 2011 1:58PM
I know this is not really a photographic query, but I hope someone may be able to help me......................Whilst typing, usually when I get to a word that contains a 'y', the cursor jumps back a few words. I don't know if it is a fault with the keyboard or with me, but as far as I am aware I am not touching anything that might make the cursor go backwards.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 1.4k England
30 Dec 2011 2:00PM
Easiest method of trouble shooting is to try a different keyboard. - Or if you are using a wireless one check your batteries!

Until you rule out the keyboard searching around might be abit fruitless!
CarolG e2
8 147 18 Greece
30 Dec 2011 2:01PM
I am using a laptop, don't have a spare keyboard to try Sad
User_Removed 5 1.4k England
30 Dec 2011 2:03PM
Try a USB keyboard in the laptop. Smile
CarolG e2
8 147 18 Greece
30 Dec 2011 2:20PM
Thanks for the suggestion, will have to see if hubby will give up his keyboard for a few minutes to test it, back later Smile
CarolG e2
8 147 18 Greece
30 Dec 2011 4:06PM
OK, have tried hubby's keyboard, and that seems ok, looks like the fault with my keyboard.
30 Dec 2011 4:19PM
Carol, you can always use the On-Screen Keyboard hidden away in your Accessories/Tools, if needed and set it to "Always on Top", but then you'll need a mouse as well. Sad
CarolG e2
8 147 18 Greece
30 Dec 2011 4:29PM
Thanks for that, but I don't think I could get on with an on screen keyboard Sad. I need to check when I purchased the laptop, and if it is still under guarantee then I will take it back to the supplier.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
30 Dec 2011 4:42PM

Quote:then I will take it back to the supplier.

I have to ask...Y?

coat/door/leaving....sorry couldn't resist it...
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2011 5:36PM
I have met this problem before. It may be nothing to do with the letter 'y' but be due to you moving your thumb across the sensor pad. It was explained to me by our IT guys that the pad works off body heat (not actually touch as such) and if you are warm enough, the mere proximity of the thumb passing over will be enough for the pad to pick it up even without actually touching the sensor pad.
To check this, press the 'y' button with a pencil or something.

You can adjust the sensitivity of the sensor pad and a small tweak is often enough.
30 Dec 2011 5:47PM
A long shot really but I once had a similar problem and it turned out the keyboard was set to a different language or layout (cant remember which), so may be worth a trip into the control panel to see if everything is setup correctly there?
CarolG e2
8 147 18 Greece
30 Dec 2011 6:16PM
I have been into the keyboard settings in the control panel and there are only three options to be set, repeat delay, repeat rate and cursor blink.
Not sure where I find the place to alter the sensitivity of the sensor pad???
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2011 7:20PM

Quote:Not sure where I find the place to alter the sensitivity of the sensor pad???

Have a look on the right hand side of your bottom tool-bar
CarolG e2
8 147 18 Greece
31 Dec 2011 9:15AM

Quote:Not sure where I find the place to alter the sensitivity of the sensor pad???

Have a look on the right hand side of your bottom tool-bar

Nothing there, Adrian Sad
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
1 Jan 2012 4:25PM
Do you need to expand it?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.