Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Dodgy or what?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
backbeat
backbeat  8134 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2011 - 6:36 PM

I put a classified ad on EPZ to sell my old 5D, and after an intial query i've received the following response:

Greetings,
Thanks for your response,i am okay with your offer for 600 as i would like you to ignore other offers and hold it for me, I will send my Freight Agent to come for pickup at your location. Please give the information i have requested in order to make the payment:

(1)Check payable to:
(2)Home Address:
(3)State:
(4)Zip code:
(5)Country:
Telephone number/mobile phone:

payment will be sent to you immediately i get the above details. You should be expecting a Check for 3,000 including the shipping fee to cover the shipping expenses on me because i still have other furnitures and things to pick up for my new house.The reason is that i cant issue out a separate cheque's on a single transaction like this due to my company's policy, as soon as the cheque clears your bank you deduct your money, then the rest would be sent to my freight agent via western union for the pickup in your location
Thanks

now this seems extremely dodgy to me, like some kind of money laundering operation...or am i being too cautious?

Phil

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Mar 2011 - 6:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2011 - 6:42 PM

Alternatively you could just give it to their "freight agent" for free WinkWink

a classic scam and a shame they have discovered the EPZ Classifieds.

agingrocker
agingrocker e2 Member 5agingrocker vcard 1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2011 - 6:43 PM

I'm with you on this one Phil - wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
Best wishes
Antony

justin c
justin c  104519 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2011 - 6:49 PM

Here's another one that seems to have found the Classified section.

Greetings,
I am Jason from UK I saw your advert regarding your.............................................................. for sale,get back to me with your finial offer,recent images and present Conditon,i would love to make a quick purchase.My email is jason_slat@yahoo.com.I await your email for continuation.

Jason Slattery
jason_slat@yahoo.com
+447011133741

backbeat
22 Mar 2011 - 6:51 PM

yeah...its probably a scam to get my bank account details i'll vouch...dagnabbit..

phil

backbeat
22 Mar 2011 - 6:53 PM

yep, thats the very same one....he must be buying a lot that Jason Slattery eh Wink

phil

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81102 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2011 - 6:55 PM

Scam mate.

backbeat
22 Mar 2011 - 6:59 PM

effing nora....anyone want a 5D?..lol

cheers dave

Phil

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82312 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2011 - 7:00 PM

Justin, call me thick, but assuming the right product is in the blank - whats wrong with it?

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2011 - 7:20 PM

Sherlob - the problem is that they are sending you a dud cheque for far more than the amount you are asking - eg in the above example its 600, but the cheque is for 3,000. They then say that you should wire them the excess money via Western Union. This means that not only with the 3K cheque bounce, but they'll be untraceable through Western Union (its great for trusted transfers like to family, but not unknown randoms).

So the cheque will always bounce and if you wire the money early (ie before it fully clears - and they'll pester like mad for you do to so) you'll have to pay it out of your own account.

As for the item they've typically no interest in it at all and any address given is probably false (legitimate, but not theirs - ie picked out of the phone book).

Last Modified By Overread at 22 Mar 2011 - 7:29 PM
backbeat
22 Mar 2011 - 7:20 PM

its some Nigerian scam...check out Eviscera's link

justin c
justin c  104519 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2011 - 7:28 PM

Quote: Justin, call me thick, but assuming the right product is in the blank - whats wrong with it?

It's from a thieving, brain-dead Nigerian, to put it politely Smile

He also specifically joined the site on that very same day just to enquire about the items from sale. What a strange coincidence. Always a dead give-away. Tongue

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81102 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2011 - 7:37 PM

Adam , google bots scour the internet for product names and any associated threads.

Thats why Justin left the product name blank.

Tandberg
Tandberg  111218 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2011 - 7:52 PM

Here's another one that seems to have found the Classified section.

Greetings,
I am Jason from UK I saw your advert regarding your.............................................................. for sale,get back to me with your finial offer,recent images and present Conditon,i would love to make a quick purchase.My email is jason_slat@yahoo.com.I await your email for continuation.

Jason Slattery
jason_slat@yahoo.com
+447011133741

I had that crap yesterday! Just binned it straight away..........
Must think we are thick as pig s*it

User_Removed
22 Mar 2011 - 9:32 PM

Quote: jason_slat[at]yahoo.com

Yup!!

In the trash too... Had 'his' response to my Garmin eTrex Legend...

LOL!!

Last Modified By User_Removed at 22 Mar 2011 - 9:33 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.