Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Does a computer use significant power when hibernating?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    thewilliam
    14 Nov 2013 - 9:20 AM

Now that electricity prices are rising yet again, we're looking at ways to cut our consumption without increasing hassle. During the working day, our computers are generally left on and then put into hibernation just before bed-time.

Would we use significantly less power if the computers were switched off instead of put into hibernation?

What power regulation regime would readers recommend?

Last Modified By thewilliam at 14 Nov 2013 - 9:20 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Nov 2013 - 9:20 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mervyntattoo
    14 Nov 2013 - 9:32 AM

I've always turned mine off even for half an hour.

lenscapuk53
    14 Nov 2013 - 10:41 AM

I have a device from electricty company, when I switch my computer off it turns all of my devices off i.e. printers, scaner, monitor and my skype phone. I have the same device down stairs on my tv, dvd and freesat box. so far I have had no problems.
    Dave

davidburleson
    davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72236 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
    14 Nov 2013 - 10:54 AM

I can't really speak for power usage. But maybe you should ask yourself why you are putting it into hibernation rather than shutting down. Hibernation is handy if you want to go back to your computer and have programs, etc all as they were before and a slightly swifter start-up than it would be from a full shut down. If these benefits aren't really a big deal to you, shut down the computer.

I generally always shut down my computers as I am never in need those features. I'm either on the computer for a long period of time, or not for a long period of time. I think Hibernating is probably more useful for laptops.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 14 Nov 2013 - 10:58 AM
    thewilliam
    14 Nov 2013 - 11:06 AM

I tend to use computers on an intermittent basis throughout the day. I find it a real pain to wait for a start-up every time I want to do something, hence the hibernation.

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10509 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Nov 2013 - 12:26 PM

I suggest that you read the manual. The manufacturer will tell you what power is being used in hibernation/sleep mode. It shouldn't be significant.
    Alan

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Nov 2013 - 12:51 PM

Quote: I've always turned mine off even for half an hour.

Tip, The wear and tear as well as the potential for data corruption is at its highest during " Shutdown & Cold Start-ups " , The more you do, The more likely you will encounter issues, Its a bit like Russian Roulette, The heaviest power draw takes place during Start Up, Once done the power draw stabilises and is based on system load.

That said power consumption from a machine that is just idling, Is not a big deal in the great scheme of things.

Take the big server systems from around the world, Powered up the day of install, Then running 24/7 365 ....Wink

Hibernating computers draw practically no power, Even the fans stop running on some systems.

Last Modified By cameracat at 14 Nov 2013 - 12:54 PM
    thewilliam
    14 Nov 2013 - 1:55 PM

Quote: I suggest that you read the manual. The manufacturer will tell you what power is being used in hibernation/sleep mode. It shouldn't be significant.
    Alan

RTFM was my first move but manuals aren't always as helpful as we hope!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.