Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Does anyone bother with print advertising for wedding/events anymore ?

pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2013 10:35AM
It seems we are getting more and more calls from seemingly desperate sinking ship magazines and papers attempting to gain advertising revenue by any means possible. Its got me to thinking does anyone really use this media to advertise any more , compared to the internet. websites, google, facebook etc etc how big a place can print advertising ever have now ( for the photography industry )

Or conversely will it mean that because everyone has abandoned print that there will be a niche market left wide open for cheap advertising ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Canon 8 918 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2013 11:13AM
It depends on the age group and general background of prospective clients. I have been involved in advertising to sell tickets to a photographic event. Realistically, most of those attending will be over 40. We have analysed the response to our advertising (i.e. everyone who enquired was asked where they had heard about the event). The majority had heard about the event from the What's On a Town Hall magazine which was distributed to 67,000 homes & other locations in the area many of which will have previously bought tickets for some event. The next most useful was an independent Local What's On magazine which floods the area in the last few weeks of sales (70,000 copies delivered). A small percentage responded to our website and only one person responded to the many posters in the area. We have concluded that Posters are a waste of effort but magazines delivered to the homes of those who buy tickets for these type of local events are essential.

Of course weddings would generally be for a younger age group so Social networks may well have a place.

Dave
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
23 Oct 2013 12:13PM
I don't advertise in any way for weddings but "in general", print has been abandoned, therefore it is has become novel niche to use.

But I think you have to "be different" to get people to look at it...

Get someone in a gorilla costume to hand deliver you print to clients... that kinda thing.

They will definitely look at your literature AND remember the experience Wink

I've got 2000 McFade Training flyers printed, dotted them around businesses in leeds and hand them out when I bump into photographers.... nice thick card, mainly pics.... didn't put any "special offer" or "reduction code" on them - big mistake really. People like something free or reduced.... so those flyers aren't really "working". They are nice to look at and feel - and have contact details on - so do have a function... but don't really get any new people on the courses.. .

Glad it was only 2000 and not 20,000 Wink
scottishphototours 10 2.5k 2 Scotland
23 Oct 2013 11:28PM
We do 3 main ways of advertising:

- In print media via a local free magazine
- Via the website and links to the website from larger organisations like Yell.com and wedding sites.
- Via bridal wedding fayres and social media. mostly Facebook.

We stopped putting adverts into magazines about 3 years ago after we done some research on how the bookings we got had found out about us. In nearly all cases the new clients had been influenced by others or recommended by them. There were no new clients coming through from magazine adverts, so we dumped them.

By the way, there are no such things as cheap advertising. That's part of the problem with print advertisers that we found...their ideas on the value of their product are basically ridiculous. A 300 quarter-page advert yielding no feedback is not anyones idea of good value.

Andy
779HOB 2 1.0k United Kingdom
24 Oct 2013 6:53AM
I do a lot of work for a smallish (approx 8k readership) magazine ( Exmoor Magazine , that's my cover shot in fact).

They sell all their advertising space every month. I have had adverts in there but never got any response. But I have picked up several clients from the readers who have seen my snaps accompanying the features. It might be the best advertising, I get paid to advertise myself. But I wouldn't pay to advertise myself on printed media, I also wouldn't pay to advertise on a website either.

I also pick up new customers while on shoots, I still give out business cards which still seem to work. I am lucky in that I meet a lot of people while covering stories and events so have direct access to people and nothing beats face to face advertising, or selling.
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
24 Oct 2013 7:04AM
I only use the free papers and magazine advertising space for our Exhibitions and Craft Fairs, along with local flyers and posters in places such as our Tourist Information Centre, shops and the like together with a bit of Web stuff.

In the few customer surveys I've carried out it definitely wouldn't be worth my while paying for magazine advertising as most people are either "drop-ins", word of mouth or repeat customers, less than 10% come via printed advert.

(My local "postering" is the next most effective route, particularly via our Information Centre, but as we are a tourist spot I guess that is not to surprising Smile )
RichardN00 8 430 1 United Kingdom
24 Oct 2013 6:02PM
You have to look at this from the punter - sorry, prospective client's point of view

If I was looking for a product or service a small add in the back of a magazine is about the fourth place I'l look.

LIke most people I'm lazy, it would be something along the lines of

1.Word of mouth, Facebook etc "Can you recommend a reliable..."
2. Google
3. Yellow pages
4. small adds in newspaper magazine

If it was a bigger add, or something that stuck in my mind as being funny or quirky I might remember where I saw it and go back to it.
msvanjara 8 1
7 Dec 2013 2:30AM
I am a [link removed by epz]wedding photographer based in Vancouver. For me, most of my customers are from
1. Google
2. Referral

Referrals are most often easiest to sell as these customers have already likely seen my work, know my photography style etc. I stopped advertising in print magazines and publications.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.