Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Does anyone else feel EPZ could do more for the sports photographer ??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2006 - 8:08 PM

I was being PC! Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Aug 2006 - 8:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

beaniebabe
31 Aug 2006 - 8:11 PM

I would love some tips on football photography...actually most sports.

Angie x

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
spaceman
spaceman  105159 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2006 - 8:12 PM

Didn't I read that there are more women than men on epz? That might have something to do with it.

beaniebabe
31 Aug 2006 - 8:14 PM

but sports photography...mainly football interests me...and I was female last time I looked Wink

Angie x

Silver
Silver  877 forum posts
31 Aug 2006 - 8:34 PM

Quote: People prefer chocolate boxy landscapes, birds, macro stuff, nude women etc.

That's the problem you face on EPZ as a sports tog!

Aint that the truth!

BOB S
BOB S  112622 forum posts
31 Aug 2006 - 9:05 PM

Lorenzo,

I have a few sports pics in my portfolio but I dont see any comments from you on them ??

BOB

sidaorb
sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2006 - 9:14 PM

One of the problems I see on here for sports togs is that things tend to come in blocks.

Following the last F1 test day at Silverstone I lost count of the number of images uploaded (I hold my hands up to being one of the people posting), now most non sport togs will be of the opinion see one shot of a F1 car seen them all, whereas those of us who are 'into' motorsport photography will look at them all and maybe comment. Same would apply to any sport.

Carl

fauxtography
31 Aug 2006 - 9:32 PM

the same applied to the December meet (last year) at curbar edge... also i seem to remember one person in particular took aversion to the number of shots of that particular area, even before that.

Like anything though the more that people appreciate a genre the more they'll comment, I shot sports for the first time (well 2nd but 1st successfully) and now appreciate it more, my level of commenting needs to grow with that.

joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2006 - 7:12 AM

Maybe EPZ could do something for this poor sports tog Smile

(Sorry. I've been looking for an excuse to post that link... Smile )

raziel_uk
raziel_uk  94929 forum posts
1 Sep 2006 - 7:42 AM

Quote: I think things like interviews/ articles with top sports photographers who work in different fields ie ball sports, watersports, motorsports etc would be interesting and really helpful.

We could turn this around and say why don't more sports photographers put articles, tips, techniques, etc., on the site?

It's a Catch 22 situation. Sports photography will be better supported if there were more sports photographers submitting stuff.

Ashley

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2006 - 7:43 AM

Just comes up access denied for me Jools.

As to the sports photography, I believe one of the reasons that there is far less of it than of, say, landscapes is that it is far less accessible.

- Landscapes don't go away, any time you want to photograph one you can stand there as long as you want and wait for the right light.

- You don't need a special pass to get into a position in which good shots are possible.

- You can use almost any lens you have and still have a reasonable chance of getting a decent shot.

- To an extent, you can shoot landscapes whilst out with your other half.

I personally love sports photography but don't get anywhere near as much chance to do any as I do with landscapes. Similarly, there are macro photo opportunities everywhere you look.

Ian

raziel_uk
raziel_uk  94929 forum posts
1 Sep 2006 - 7:45 AM

Quote: Just comes up access denied for me Jools.

Same here.

Ashley

joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2006 - 9:05 AM

That's strange as it works fine for me.

OK, try this... (I was linking directly to the pic that accompanies the 'Heaven and Hell' entry)

hotchef23
hotchef23  7134 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Sep 2006 - 9:41 AM

i might be wrong but i feel it is the in ability to get close to the real action, Profesional sport like the grand prix you are behind fences and away, where as landscape nude you are thee right on the point of the picture, Or am i totally worng and you can get close?
just a thought
Eric

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2006 - 9:43 AM

An interesting topic. I wonder if sports photographers are less likely to comment on each others work?

In the past Joe Fox was an interesting contributer to sports photography, though not all apreciated his direct feeback.

Is it because there tends to be a personal element to some of the sports stuff? For example, football, do people want to see local league footbal photo's where most amatures would be welcomed with open arms. I have taken some photo's that have gone down a storm with the teams but bummed on here?

Also motor sports photography, it is hard to take individual type photo's IMHO. I have been trying to find alternative styles, but again does it apeal? Unlike other sports, it is often hard to see the compeditors face, so does that create a distant hard to relate to quality? Pictures of landscapes and people we can all relate to at some levels.

I have tried to re-visit this topic to try and aproach it from a different angle. How can you capture the motion and drama of the sport? That is what I am trying. But is it personal?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.