Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Does anyone else feel EPZ could do more for the sports photographer ??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
User_Removed
1 Sep 2006 - 10:37 AM

For me, I'd love to take pictures of Rally, F1, Go Carting, Tennis, Football, Rugby, Surfers etc etc. basically the whole lot...

Its not easy to get to the sporting events as it is for landscape and wildlife though. OR should I say... it is easy to get to them, but getting in to take pictures at these events is another story!

If someone can tell me different, then please contact me lol

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points

Quote: Didn't I read that there are more women than men on epz? That might have something to do with it.

I'm a woman & I shoot cycling, but maybe it has something to do with the lycra! Sorry!

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2006 - 10:46 AM

Quote: Its not easy to get to the sporting events

Providing you do not go for the pro level it is easy to get involved in photography of Football/Rugby. Adult leagues are easier than youth, due to the need to observe child protection etc, but again by following the rules it is possible and need not be full of red tape etc, but you do need to work with the club and respect the wishes of the Club/League/Parents. A bit of respect etc and it goes well.

I have mainly done youth football photography, but the terms of use prevent me from using these photographs on this site.

Geoffphoto
1 Sep 2006 - 10:50 AM

Photograph rubgy, it's a legal blood sport.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2006 - 10:53 AM

My son plays & the school matches start soon. He's also just joined a rugby club so I'm going to ask if I can take photographs there as well. Cycling season almost finished so I need something to do.

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2006 - 11:04 AM

My advice. Get the school to include the photography permision in the player registration form, and get them to refer you for CRB check. If photo's are to be published on web or papers, do not send names without parental sign off.

remember most parents/players etc are delighted to see photo's, but a minority are not and it protection for you (against those who wish to push things to the limit, be it legal or PC)

FatHandedChap
1 Sep 2006 - 11:08 AM

I've just had my first request for a sports-related portrait shoot. A couple want a picture of their snow-boarding sun coming off the ramps at the local ski slope. Time to do a bit of research methinks.

Back on thread - the same could be true of any branch of photography. How about more on still-life, abstract etc. Landscapes are accessible and most people can relate to them. It's a natural progression from taking holiday snaps and a great subject for learning the craft of photography.

Tony

Geoffphoto
1 Sep 2006 - 11:09 AM

Seriously - taking pictures of sport is not easy, I have been doing it for 20 years now and I still don't always get it right, first it helps to have a knowledge of the game, ie rugby, where the ball might go at the line out for example, (I used to photograph one team so often that I knew the calls and plays better than some of the players !). I steal ( ooops wrong word, am inspired by ) ideas from classic sports togs (Eamon McCabe was a huge early influence) and I check out the Sunday papers each week for inspiration. Access at most games and events is not too difficult providing that you don't want to start at Old Trafford, Twickenham or Centre Court at Wimbledon, remember that those guys have worked damn hard to get there.
Sport does tend to take place at a fair pace (well except bowls and darts !) so a really good working knowledge of your kit, ie focusing really helps and don't be afraid to chat to pros or others photographers with the same interests as you. Have fun, I must say that I prefer summer sports like cricket and tennis to taking pix of a rugby match on a freezing cold , wet January afternoon when it's dark at 2pm.......hope this helps
PS I don't post many sport pix on this site because I don't think that the average amateur 'tog really knows what goes into getting a really strong sport image. No disrespect, but I've talked with people who say Oh, with a modern digital DSLR sport is easy....I don't think so........Geoff

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
whipspeed
1 Sep 2006 - 11:20 AM

Quote: Oh, with a modern digital DSLR sport is easy....I don't think so........Geoff

Agree with you there Geoff.

John, lucky with my son's school, they allow parents to photograph any sports & I always do the boys an alternative team shot where they can be themselves.

Frank_Reid
1 Sep 2006 - 11:33 AM

I am and have always been open and given help to anyone who wants it ... so please feel free to look and ask away.
frank

Geoffphoto
1 Sep 2006 - 11:36 AM

Yep, I'm with you Frank, most pros will give you help and advice if we are not too busy with deadlines on a Saturday evening....Geoff

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2006 - 11:47 AM

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but the original post seemed to be that there were not enough articles/techniques, etc on Sports Photography on ePZ.

The simple solution to that is write some.

The key to making them popular will be taking great sports photos without all the hassle mentioned above. That is don't presume people have access to special areas. Show what can be done from public access locations. Talk about local sporting event, etc.

I enjoy some of the sports stuff on here and have done quite a bit in the past, but not taken with the intention of putting on the web.

I think there is some good advice already in this thread and someone needs to pull it together into a working idea for being a sub-section of the site. You can't expect the team to do everything (especially not with the current problems). There's no point Pete and the team creating a new sections if there is nothing to fill them.

One other point, these kinds of articles don't particularly exist for other areas either.

Sports does at least have a category to itself, so if you want to see the pics you can find them. That's also not true for many categories.

I don't think with regard to interviews with pros that this section gets added to very often now in general. Those that exist were probably people Pete could con in the early days Smile)

Carry on like this and you'll be wanting a sports issue (not sports illustrated) of AP next!

Sorry if I've misunderstood the point, but that was my take.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2006 - 12:48 PM

scurry said it all

it's safe to say that EPZ is a community as well as a website, so if you want to see more on any topic, go ahead and submit an article for the rest of us.

if we all did that, we'd have the best knowledge base on the web.. if we've not already got that

Silver
Silver  877 forum posts
1 Sep 2006 - 2:03 PM

Quote: I don't post many sport pix on this site because I don't think that the average amateur 'tog really knows what goes into getting a really strong sport image. No disrespect, but I've talked with people who say Oh, with a modern digital DSLR sport is easy....I don't think so........Geoff

Whilst I agree, that shouldn't put you off posting them. The first thing I do (as a sports shooter) when I come on here, is go to the reader's gallery, check the "sports" tickbox and see what's been posted since my last visit.

On your other comment, it is amusing to find people who click the camera to 'sports mode', hold the shutter down and think "job done"...

hotchef23
hotchef23  7134 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Sep 2006 - 4:06 PM

another aspect could be you see sports photos in th epaper and magazines, you expect to see david beckham wayne roo or famous sports stars with hugh crowds behind them in the soccer stadiums of the world, how does a photo of a sunday football match with miles of green behind the individuals compare to these? not quite the same is it, or again am i trying to base my ideas on the "norm" of sports photos?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.