Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Does anyone else feel EPZ could do more for the sports photographer ??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

beaniebabe
1 Sep 2006 - 4:14 PM

sports mode?? am I supposed to use that? Winkactually scratch that what is sports mode? Grin

and crowds have you ever been to watch southport play? Wink

if I get one supporter in the background I'm lucky...hee hee

honestly though as I have said before I would love to get more tips...frank-reid has been kind to me in the past...I'll be taking him up on his offer when we both can get to meet Smile

Cheryl very good ideas but I for one would never be in a position to do a write up..as I'm cr ermm useless Grin

Angie x

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Sep 2006 - 4:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Mark_Readman
1 Sep 2006 - 4:46 PM

Sports photographers chew broken glass and drink diesel and pee where they know the paps stand on a night.

lgc
lgc  1062 forum posts England
1 Sep 2006 - 5:19 PM

Lorenzo,

I have a few sports pics in my portfolio but I dont see any comments from you on them ??

BOB

No Bob I havent commented on any of the sports shots in your gallery, although I did voted on your prancing horse shot a while ago, unfortunatly I dont have the time to pass comment on all of the sports shots that are posted on EPZ , do you??????

Thankyou to all of the people who posted positive and useful advice!
One of the reason I opened this discussion was that I read an interview with a Brasilian surf photographer who works on the surf boats in Indonesia in Fluir surf magazine and found it very helpful and interesting!

Crashingocean

Lorenzo commented on my surfing pic, which made my day after looking at his portfolio cause they are some of the best surfing pics I have seen including in Wavelength & Threesixty, it also disheartened me a bit because his pictures in my view should have had a lot more than a handful of clix, there is a lot of skill involved in taking surf shots and taking the shot at just the right second of the manouvre as they are so dam fast. I admit most people on here are bloody good photographers, and i guess that there's not many on here into surfing/sports but surely they can still appreciate a good photo when they see it. Thankyou again for your advice Lorenzo. Karen (a girl into sport)

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2006 - 8:20 PM

hey Karen theres plenty of talented surf and extreme sports togs on here but they dont get the massive vote support of a dog or landscape shot mores the pity.

the land is always there to return to, the wave visits this shore only once in its long travel to these shores and then only as it eends its power can we record it.

more could be written and I have penned an article for the ephotozine book when it finally reached our hands.
I am thinking about setting up some weekend sports photography classes if anybody is interested please PM me

Crashingocean

Sounds cool, I also live in Cornwall and go beach taking sea shots only just tried surf shots the other day at Kynance Cove, there was some real good surfers there, bodyboarders too doing all kinds of stunts, they were too far out and crowded by tourists to photograph with my S3000 but would love to learn more when its a bit less crowded out there. k

tenerifejohn
6 Sep 2006 - 8:59 AM

As a sports editor for an English Language newspaper I always look at sporting images on epz including motor racing, cricket, football rugby league etc. Some of the images are brilliant. I have in fact used pictures of rugby league by member Steve Price and images of cricket by another member in our publication as well as speedway images I took myself. I was running a feature called "guest photographer" and I will re-run it with a link to you website if any epz members wish to contact me.
In the meantime like many sports photographers I will continue to post images which have nothing at all to do with sport - and some might say nothing to do with photography. Happy to contribute to the debate and look forward to your pm's re sporting events. Current focus - the Ryder Cup

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2006 - 9:16 AM

I think we have a great selection of sports photographers on here, and many who aspire to join you.

It's true we don't have "how to" articles though. And, as stated, we are always happy to accept articles. So if any of you sports stars want to contribute, please feel free. 500-1500 words on any aspect with six pics and I'll knock it into shape and add it to the techniques section.

That goes for wildlife, pets, portraits, landscapes, reportage etc etc. If it's not in our huge techniques database already I'd be happy to add it.

vaughar
vaughar  10242 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Sep 2006 - 9:21 AM

Aside from the original question about what EPZ could do for sports 'togs. Which csurry answered above..

I think that one of the main reasons that shots do not recieve much attention is because people generally don't understand the sport or what is going on.

If a shot is spectacular (a bike 5 ft in the air at Cadwell park, or the England cricket team lifting a trophy Wink ) then it'll gain interest. Hence why badly taken pictures of crashes at motorsport events go down well. However a well taken picture of a car on a track doesn't do much for those that don't appreciate the technology/skill/effort it getting it there.

The other thing was mentioned by Strawman earlier, which is that for some sports it is difficult to take a shot which looks 'different'. There are only so many ways you can take a panning shot of a car on the track, and only so many ways you can take a shot of a helmet and a pair of gloves resting on the bonnet. But taking those same shots under different conditions can make them stand out. My most voted on car shot wasn't particularly spectacular or different in most ways, but it was taken in torrential rain so there is plenty of spray behind the car which just happened to be a Lister Storm...

Strawman pretty much summed it up earlier I think, so this would have been shorter if I'd just said 'I agree with Strawman' Grin

I'll keep on posting pictures of both, I like doing it, thats why I post them.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
vaughar
vaughar  10242 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Sep 2006 - 9:23 AM

Re: Pete's call for technique articles.

I'd welcome an article on what editors look for in shots. I'm happy to take shots that I like, but would be interesting to know what the editors are after.

Composition, particular events/stages of an event, personalities, styles (panning/close up/moment in time).

Rob.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2006 - 9:27 AM

Okay, any sports picture editors out there want to contribute an article?

Nike55
Nike55  8956 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Sep 2006 - 10:36 AM

Quote: Okay, any sports picture editors out there want to contribute an article?

While we're waiting...

I wonder what the article would contain and for whom the article would be written?

Information on the practical techniques of sport photography are widely available; pick up any of the camera mags in the spring and there will be a raft of "hints and tips" for "your summer fun with a camera".

"A day in the life of a Sports Editor" may be more interesting... but presumably this would simply explain the need to kick the sub-editors butt while protecting their own. (Come back Ed Asner..)

A day in the life of a sports 'tog? :- "Woke up, grabbed the company D2's, my accreditation, pit and paddock passes and headed for the Ferrari hospitality truck at Silverstone"

Geoffphoto
6 Sep 2006 - 11:05 AM

"A day in the life of a sports 'tog? :- "Woke up, grabbed the company D2's, my accreditation, pit and paddock passes and headed for the Ferrari hospitality truck at Silverstone"
I wish - it's more like this for me on a Saturday - " Woke up - grabbed MY D2, (I'm self-employed all my kit is mine) went to scouts coffee morning (1 pic), went to church fete (1 pic), went to dog show, (running late 2 pics). grab quick sandwich, another quick job, cheque presentation at 2 o clock (1 pic), football in Truro kick off at 3, rugby in Falmouth kick off at 3, rugby at Penryn kick off at 3, and then possibly an evening job. Back home , download, put through PS and caption, e-mail pics to picture desk for subs to work on on Sunday morning, quick bite to eat at about 10pm, watch Match of the Day with a beer and go to bed knackered !!"
It's not all glamour being a 'tog on a weekly newspaper you know !

Nike55
Nike55  8956 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Sep 2006 - 11:15 AM

Quote: It's not all glamour being a 'tog on a weekly newspaper you know !

Maybe not - but it sounds fascinating. How about fleshing it out a bit for the mag? You could probably write a book.

Geoffphoto
6 Sep 2006 - 11:56 AM

LOL NIke55, I'm quite probably the most boring, average bloke on the planet (and yours I expect !), but perhaps one day. I do have an illustrated talk that I do for local camera clubs on my work, so you never know.....Geoff

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.