Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Does anyone else feel EPZ could do more for the sports photographer ??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Nike55
Nike55  8956 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Sep 2006 - 12:59 PM

Geoff - Sounds like one for the "Articles" section! "A day in the life of..."

Pete (Epz)- Perhaps there could be a section labelled "I learned photography from that!" (outside of the Forum) where mistakes and errors (& happy accidents) could be described....

(Max no of words 500!}

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Sep 2006 - 12:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lgc
lgc  962 forum posts England
8 Sep 2006 - 7:09 PM

Its great to see the response this subject has generated, obviously there is some interest, I would love to write an article for EPZ but unfortunatley Im afraid I dont know the any of the tech stuff, that is why I was wanting to learn. I also must own up to being on of those people who uses the sports mode on my 300d, I did try using the non auto modes but always kept mucking it up! I will now spend the rest of this afternoon holding my head in shame!;D
I will however be learning soon when I finally purchase the eos mkII as I will have to, there is no sports mode!! ;D
then I will be able to slep better at night knowing that im a real sports tog!!!;D

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2006 - 7:29 PM

one problem with writing for sports, is what rocks the boat with a tennis tog or a rugby tog, is going to be far different for a water sports buff and far different for a motor sports buff

but some techniques have cross over points ie panning shots can be used for most fast sports.

in the main its knowledge of the sports , knowing where to stand or not to stand (danger) to get the best out of each sport.

good equipment helps in my opinion nothing much beats the Canon eos1d mk1 and mk2s for focus speed and frames per second, the nikon D2hs are good as well.

big lenses to get you right in the thick of it are as must for 99% of sports, though on occasion a wideange helps to open up the background and show the crowds watching.

understanding lighting is important, you need to read the light and adjust the camera accordingly, you need to change settings and experiment, something that the digital camera has freed the tog from the risk of burning too much film , or coming back with nothing !!! a real risk when using slide films

try moving to get a different posistion than the rest of the mob, it can work wonders at times

talk to the competitors ask them where the best moves are going to be , what would they like to see in pictures, often togs concentrate on what they want not realising that the sports people and editiors are looking for somehting very different.

Badger
Badger  124736 forum posts United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2006 - 6:06 PM

Personally, I think the site should do more for those who decide to photograph industrial ladders built during the years of 1927 - 1982...

I mean, I have not seen any articles about this riveting subject!

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2006 - 6:15 PM

Or photographing the ladder of success? Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.